+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Flying Mounts

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    if it looks like a flying mount, and the description says "flying mount"... it might still not be a flying mount
    You should put that on a picture of a duck.

Plane of Air already has reduced gravity, levitation in canyons and a cute balloon flying over SK. It doesn't really need any flying mounts ;)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360 <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    Like we can't get around in this game fast enough?

Flying mounts just allows you to bypass the content even faster.
    Agreed. While at 1st I thought it was great, in hindsight when you can just run thru an area with little or no threat (along with no fall dmg) it takes an important aspect (danger) of the game away.
    Personally I'd like it if they would back off on developing new content and fix what we have already and get it polished, then move forward but <shrugs>

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Plane of Air already has reduced gravity, levitation in canyons and a cute balloon flying over SK. It doesn't really need any flying mounts ;)
    Can I mount this cute balloon?
    celebee❦deepwood
    8/9 MoM 3/4 CoA
    bєєρ bєєρ iмα jєєρ

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulghost View Post
    Can I mount this cute balloon?
    Of course you can, repeatedly if you wish ;)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360 <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Ral
    Rift Master

You can also "fly" along the canyons in PTW if you know how to, one of the devs even demonstrated it during a live stream, although I realized it back when PTW was in beta.

There is also a point where you can "fly" (or more be launched over like 500 feet) directly to Calweddi without doing the jump puzzle (you actually can land in the fae village but without citizenship you just get yelled at and kicked out) I reported this concerned it was a exploit, and while Dead Simon allowed it as legit since it doesn't negate citizenship, it demonstrates how much actual flying can potentially break things.

Another major reason is that the game is really designed to only be seen from the ground, anyone that does level design, dimensions, tries to find out of bounds areas or fell under the world can tell you how weird things look from the "back" of the game world. This would be very much visible when in the air meaning the devs would either have to deal with people seeing a very immersion breaking (and potentially exploit revealing) aspect of areas, or take increased design and testing consideration effectively extending a 2D problem to 3D. Dimensioneers are familiar with this complexity due to the jump boost item and how it can allow people to access areas unintended; extend that problem infinitely.
    Last edited by Ral; 03-29-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Ral
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    I liked flying mounts in Vanguard...
    If you also recall almost instantly the flying mounts revealed massive exploits using them in the game and the devs had to scramble to add all kinds of "no-fly" zones which were very annoying as you would just dismount and fall to the ground (and your death) if you even touched one.

Champion of Telara

No...please, just no
    Last edited by SmidgePlays; 03-29-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    Smidge
    <Guess>
    Wolfsbane

Flying mounts would be cool

Flying corgi mount
    Flying mushroom mount
    Flying whale mount
    Flying dragon mounts

I have a unicorn mount that has ~wings~
    hello why doesn't it fly

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladryus View Post
    From the very start they've been saying there will be no flying mounts, and players keep bringing it up. Someone asked yet again in the last live stream, and the response was again, there will be no flying mounts, and as long as the same people are working on the game, they are opposed to it and it won't happen.
    Trion is known for changing their minds on things they said would never happen so don't count out flying mounts yet

Quote Originally Posted by Siggysig View Post
    Flying mounts would be cool

Flying corgi mount
    Flying mushroom mount
    Flying whale mount
    Flying dragon mounts

I have a unicorn mount that has ~wings~
    hello why doesn't it fly
    Sky whale mount anyone?
    celebee❦deepwood
    8/9 MoM 3/4 CoA
    bєєρ bєєρ iмα jєєρ

Telaran

I only want a flying mount if I can get a Charizard or a Dragonite, otherwise I don't care.

Soulwalker

No flying mounts please, as much as it is 'nice' to be able to fly, it highly limits the control devs have over how the player experiences new content. It takes all the wonderful work they do with the ground content (scenery, npcs, lower level players, mobs etc.) which is where you should be, and makes it 'boring' 'skippable' stuff. Hell you might as well place the player in an empty space on a flying mount and spawn the quest npcs and obective mobs in front of the player. Stop bringing this up please. Already been discussed 100's of times since beta.
    Last edited by Krillarbran; 04-05-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Rift Disciple

How about gliding? Like for Bolt, it has wings, so let us glide a bit when we jump off a cliff?

They can introduce flying mounts when......

All zones have thousands of birds (or bats, or gargoyles, or even miniature dragons/wyverns) that fly around and intentionally dive at you. (After all, we're encroaching on their territory.) With each birds attack they have a 95% (or higher) chance to knock you off your flying mount, and they bring back fall damage.
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast