+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dying Data

Default Dying Data

We are losing data and content at an alarming rate. Sites are either going offline or aren't updating content. Think I'm imagining things? Here's a list of the stuff
    I know is missing or long delayed:

Video Walkthroughs
    Oria Xu and Apotheosys - Giant middle finger to Trion. Does WoW content now.
    Intim - Long gone
    Seatin - Now a man of myth and legend
    ChamberDown - Indefinite Hiatus

Guide Sites
    Riftraidguides - Offline. Partially available through Google cache or archive.org
    Magelo - Stopped updating with a smidgen of T2 content. You can still see it though.
    Taylor Swift - Tyrant's Forge is just a placeholder with nothing further. Some gear is searchable but doesn't connect to the boss or instance.
    RiftGrate - Is on indefinite hiatus but intends to be back eventually.
    Riftcore - Hasn't done anything in eight months. Guides are from 2014.
    Rifthead - HAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhhahahahahahaha...co ugh cough..

So what happens when some of these sites that are on hiatus go dark? What happens when RiftScene goes offline and our BiS goes away? Where will we be able to go for any new content now that all the content creators have left? I can't even find text walkthroughs past Iskandra in IGP and now that Oria Xu left we're not getting any new videos past MoM 5/9 other than a random kill here and there.

I don't have very many answers, but I know myself and a few others are trying to retain what information is available and create more once that's exhausted. Are there any new content creators out there? Are there any new text sites?

Edit: The quick answer from Mr. 8: Update the wiki because those don't disappear. Our choices:
    http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/RIFT_Wiki
    http://telarapedia.gamepedia.com/Rift_Wiki
    Last edited by Hepatits; 03-15-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: New information
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Certainly not a good situation, but some things come to mind.

Back in my Guild Wars 1 days you always went to the Wiki page, as it knew basically everything. Just checked - the site is still up - despite the game beeing in maintenance mode for several years now.
    So yea, Wiki for knowledge is better than player owned Fansites, cause these can go down, Wiki doesnt.

Another problem apart from knowledge is what I call "opinion leadership" or better "the lack of..." when it comes to Rift.
    An MMO opinion leader has most likely
    - a youtube channel (blogs are a bit outdated for the purpose)
    - an opinion on actual changes
    - concepts and visions for proposed changes
    - looks at the big picture, tries to find compromises
    - tons of MMO xp
    - direct or indirect influence
    and so on and so forth.

Anyway, for now it seems that Rift will be underrepresented in the future when it comes to fansites/channels which is certainly an issue.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

As someone who has frequent contact with many folks on your list, I deeply appreciate them. That being said real life happens, and many times folks who create content have aspects of their lives which drag them away from creating these sorts of resources. Other times they lose interest in continuing to create content, either because of new interests or competition for their time.

Of course we'd love for everyone to keep creating new and interesting stuff for us to read or watch forever, but that isn't a very realistic hope. As time goes on, some people will stop doing the things we appreciate and new folks will start. Sometimes they'll do something similar, other times they'll take it in new or different directions. I can't begrudge someone their time; everyone eventually moves on to a new job with less time, finds they aren't as interested in making content right now, or just needs a break from whatever they are doing. I expect we'll see some of the creators you list return, and others will move on to new endeavors.

I always recommend that if players are looking to create long term sustainable resources the single best way to do this is to work on a wiki. Wikis aren't limited to a single creator, and so are sustainable for far longer than any other resource. Wikis are hard work too, but it's a something that anyone can contribute to at whatever comfort level they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    As someone who has frequent contact with many folks on your list, I deeply appreciate them. That being said real life happens, and many times folks who create content have aspects of their lives which drag them away from creating these sorts of resources. Other times they lose interest in continuing to create content, either because of new interests or competition for their time.

Of course we'd love for everyone to keep creating new and interesting stuff for us to read or watch forever, but that isn't a very realistic hope. As time goes on, some people will stop doing the things we appreciate and new folks will start. Sometimes they'll do something similar, other times they'll take it in new or different directions. I can't begrudge someone their time; everyone eventually moves on to a new job with less time, finds they aren't as interested in making content right now, or just needs a break from whatever they are doing. I expect we'll see some of the creators you list return, and others will move on to new endeavors.

I always recommend that if players are looking to create long term sustainable resources the single best way to do this is to work on a wiki. Wikis aren't limited to a single creator, and so are sustainable for far longer than any other resource. Wikis are hard work too, but it's a something that anyone can contribute to at whatever comfort level they have.
    Thanks Ocho. Thanks Ongar. I appreciate the feedback.

So our current Wiki options are:
    http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/RIFT_Wiki
    http://telarapedia.gamepedia.com/Rift_Wiki

Is there a preference to what we build up? Both are highly outdated.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Quote Originally Posted by Hepatits View Post

So what happens when some of these sites that are on hiatus go dark? What happens when RiftScene goes offline and our BiS goes away?
    For what it's worth, I have no plans to take RiftScene offline. Even while I took a break from the game during the first half of Nightmare Tide I tried my best to keep the loot lists and item database up to date (most of that is automated and only went down when Trion switched to webcdn, but that's fixed now). I also have some changes coming soon to it, actually.

I do wish I could get some more up to date stat weights, though.

Default lot of work

Not being critical but I've often wondered why Trion had never had provided a wiki/resource to the game as they have all the up to date info and knowledge, lore ect.. (this is my 1st MMO I have played, so maybe this is typical for these type of games-dunno)

To the OP's point with many of the existing sources potentially fading away, where does one go to get reliable information to keep Wiki current?
    Just hopped on http://community.riftgame.com/en/fansites real quick like, appears many dead links or perhaps dated according to some time stamps. It would seem quite daunting to try and verify what is out there, then add new stuff. No doubt a Ton of work went into what we have which I appreciate it all. Trying to picture myself trying to update info or post new - my heads hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcleros View Post
    Not being critical but I've often wondered why Trion had never had provided a wiki/resource to the game as they have all the up to date info and knowledge, lore ect.. (this is my 1st MMO I have played, so maybe this is typical for these type of games-dunno)

To the OP's point with many of the existing sources potentially fading away, where does one go to get reliable information to keep Wiki current?
    Just hopped on http://community.riftgame.com/en/fansites real quick like, appears many dead links or perhaps dated according to some time stamps. It would seem quite daunting to try and verify what is out there, then add new stuff. No doubt a Ton of work went into what we have which I appreciate it all. Trying to picture myself trying to update info or post new - my heads hurts.
    The Wikia site appears to be the best option. You're right. It's going to be a TON of work. If everyone who has content would like to input their content there we can have a single repository. The "easy" part is going to be taking the existing pages from places like riftraidguides and getting things set up. And since it's a wiki, anybody can add or correct things.

@Qube Love your stuff maing. I'm intrigued by what you have in store. I know there are a few people on the forums who are still running the parse spreadsheets that could probably help with stat weights. You might want to reach out to them if you haven't already.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Quote Originally Posted by Qube View Post
    I do wish I could get some more up to date stat weights, though.
    Feel free to ping me with questions and I'll see what I can do. I already have a PM of yours to answer, but more are even better. ;)

Well one thing that would make finding info about content easier is if Trion made more data available.

One thing since TF got released is that it rare to find a loot list. Pretty much used Riftgrate HK itemization pics to figure out what gear I would like from HK and then tried to figure out which boss dropped the items I wanted. No loot list of what boss drops what items, so hard to find out stats as well. Got to Remember the drops in iGP, hope to see the drops from t3. and some of the loot list in t1 are wrong on a few items.

This is easily fixed if Trion made the loot list data available. Specially for the API for ppl to create "atlas loot" addon.
    The data is already on a table from Trion as each boss has their loot list. As well it hasnt been available for fan sites for awhile with people not updating or not getting the information. Partly due to people needing to submit screenshots of the loot and where it dropped. And if no one hasnt seen it drop yet, well you are out of luck then.

For information like boss guides. Yes it nice to read or watch prior to doing a new boss but I find part of progression that is fun is figuring out the best way for your group to do the boss.

But as said in part, it would help if Trion for Rift released more data to help with attaining information.

@Qube Love your stuff maing. I'm intrigued by what you have in store. I know there are a few people on the forums who are still running the parse spreadsheets that could probably help with stat weights. You might want to reach out to them if you haven't already.
    I have a couple of times, most people are responsive and allow me to use their weights. Some of the times I'm just not sure if it's accurate or up to date.
    Last edited by Qube; 03-15-2016 at 11:56 AM.

@Ookamikawaii - What you're wanting is for Trion to make an API. They've been reluctant to make one after multiple requests spanning multiple years.

@Qube - If you don't trust the source of the data there's only one way to be sure: Verify it yourself. Definitely not suggesting your take on that load of work either. That's a long, arduous, descriptive statistics nightmare on top of high end excel automation skills. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. The people that are into that are masochistic. I love them for their data, but they're masochistic.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord

[...] As time goes on, some people will stop doing the things we appreciate and new folks will start.[...]
    Well said, the problem although is that more people are leaving and less are coming.... No offense here but don't you think something has to be done to scale the balance?
    Last edited by Oldar; 03-16-2016 at 03:12 AM.

Default Chamber Down

CHamer Down is still posting videos and active in the forums and live streams. As far as everyone else nothing.
    Shhhh..... let the poison do it's work.
    Check out my Youtube page for quest videos and help video's. https://www.youtube.com/user/ldigfondzee
    Also check out my Steam on Twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/fondzee
    Twitter https://twitter.com/Ldig_Fondzee

Quote Originally Posted by havenslight View Post
    CHamer Down is still posting videos and active in the forums and live streams. As far as everyone else nothing.
    I guess that's what I get for listening to what other people tell me. Duly noted.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord

Default Don't forget Grim

Don't forget Grim Gaming Rift for YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/GrimGamingRift/featured.

Zahhassar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast