+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question about Soul vs armor/ weapons

Default question about Soul vs armor/ weapons

hello all,
    i was wondering what happens with gear if u change your souls . for example: If i am a purifier cleric and gonna change to druid is that going to have any effect on my gear/ weapons or is it only depending on the 'calling' u chose. do you have to buy druid gear then or can all clerics wear all the available cleric armor? if thats the case i would be dissepointed. i hope there also will be gear thats only for a specific soul. i mean there must be some visual difference in what you do in telara. and what about the stats on your gear etc. etc.

it would be fun if different types of gear are available:
    - general items
    - calling specific items
    - soul specific items

anyone knows how they do this in Rift?

greets
    Baghatur

Quote Originally Posted by Baghatur View Post
    hello all,
    i was wondering what happens with gear if u change your souls . for example: If i am a purifier cleric and gonna change to druid is that going to have any effect on my gear/ weapons or is it only depending on the 'calling' u chose. do you have to buy druid gear then or can all clerics wear all the available cleric armor? if thats the case i would be dissepointed. i hope there also will be gear thats only for a specific soul. i mean there must be some visual difference in what you do in telara. and what about the stats on your gear etc. etc.

- general items
    - calling specific items
    - soul specific items

greets
    Baghatur
    from what i understand you will need seperate gear sets it wont be a one set to rule them all thing where you wear the same gear and get the max benifit out of it regardless of your *spec*

aka your going to need a healing set and a dps set if you make 2 specs aimed at each of those.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Telaran

It seems like I remember reading somewhere that the armor and weapons you can use depends on your calling rather than the specific souls you have equipped. It makes sense that they would do this to avoid any issues with switching souls.

I agree though, it would cool if there was some soul specific gear that you could acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggiefishier View Post
    from what i understand you will need seperate gear sets it wont be a one set to rule them all thing where you wear the same gear and get the max benifit out of it regardless of your *spec*

aka your going to need a healing set and a dps set if you make 2 specs aimed at each of those.
    hey,

thnx for reply, u are right that u get more gearsets for dps or healing etc. and they prob will only get calling gear otherwise u could get trouble when switching souls. If they make a lot of nice different sets it will be more ok for me . But i still think its not correct that a druid could look excactly the same as a dps cleric. the same for an healing mage vs a pyromancer etc. it just doesnt feel right.....u know what i mean? there must be a few items wich are soul specific.

for the rest... this gonna be an awesome game.

greets,
    baghatur
    Last edited by Baghatur; 10-26-2010 at 06:27 AM.

I hope (and think) that there won't be soul limitid gear in Rift (must have soul x active to wear it). But it would be more than ok for me to have stats that are prefered by different souls. For example items with +water healing/damage would be perfect for a warden heavy build but i could also wear them if i have no warden in my current build and i like the other stats.
    Adjana - Shadows of the Dragon

Yarrick - Lvl 5x Cleric@Icewatch

Rift Disciple

It has been stated that armor and weapons are based upon you Calling (Mage, Cleric, Warrior, Rouge). However, it would be nice to have something that is geared more towards a specific Soul. I wouldn't want there to be Soul specific gear, as in if I don't have X Soul equipped I can't wear the gear. But let the gear add something to the Soul if it works better with it. And since the game is built around mixing Souls it would be hard to say this is only for X Soul and this is only for Y Soul. Because then you run into, well my solo is a combo of these two so yay I can wear it. But wait my group build has neither so what happens when I switch? Plus keeping Soul specific gear would just be hell on your Inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Baghatur View Post
    hello all,

- general items
    - calling specific items
    - soul specific items

greets
    Baghatur
    I assume your gear will be determined by what calling you originally choose, but then everyone will be choosing warriors?
    I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Adjana View Post
    I hope (and think) that there won't be soul limitid gear in Rift (must have soul x active to wear it). But it would be more than ok for me to have stats that are prefered by different souls. For example items with +water healing/damage would be perfect for a warden heavy build but i could also wear them if i have no warden in my current build and i like the other stats.
    i fully agree. maybe thats also enough for me.

I really hope gear isn't soul restrictive as that would be a headache to carry around all those sets of gear (if they even give us enough bag space). I like the way EQ2 handled stats in that every calling has their damage based upon their main stat. So wisdom increases dps (spell/melee) for priests, Intelligence for mages, Strength for fighters and Agility for scouts. It is so much better than having to get wisdom for healing or intelligence for spell damage or strength for melee damage all on a priest so you fill your bags up with multiple sets of gear. I did see on the main trion page when you actually look at the different classes that it does mention some souls within a calling wears lighter or heavier armor. "The militant orders gird themselves in chainmail, and march into close combat wielding heavy, two-handed warhammers, or a simple combination of mace and shield. The more arcane priesthoods, meanwhile, wear cloth vestments, brandishing symbols of spiritual power such as staves, tomes, and totems." This quote is from the cleric description, so it does make we wonder if there will be gear restrictions on certain souls. Looking at the other callings, it seems that only the Cleric calling mentions different armor classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasie View Post
    I did see on the main trion page when you actually look at the different classes that it does mention some souls within a calling wears lighter or heavier armor. "The militant orders gird themselves in chainmail, and march into close combat wielding heavy, two-handed warhammers, or a simple combination of mace and shield. The more arcane priesthoods, meanwhile, wear cloth vestments, brandishing symbols of spiritual power such as staves, tomes, and totems." This quote is from the cleric description, so it does make we wonder if there will be gear restrictions on certain souls. Looking at the other callings, it seems that only the Cleric calling mentions different armor classes.
    That could very well be from an older design concept as it has been there a long time. All I have heard recently seems to indicate Calling specific armor types, like all clerics using Chain/Scale. But likely, I would think, needing different stats to match a souls function

Still, lugging around a full set of Healer, DPS and Tanking gear... /shudder Better not count on picking up any loot..

From the videos i have watched about sould and skills the developer switches souls but does not switch gear which leads me to believe that your armpor/ weapons are going to be calling based not soul based. I am sure that there will be some pieces of gear that are better for one soul setup than other but i dont really think that it is going to make that big of a difference within a calling.
    pumpy.jpg

i think (hope) that the stats of the items also determine the looks of the gear. If u get the items with the right stats for your soul then u also get the visual difference between the souls.

Baghatur

+ Reply to Thread