+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: A Better Idea For Patrons: Time Banking

Default A Better Idea For Patrons: Time Banking

Instead of taking away base game features of Rift and re-labeling them as "convenience perks" for free-to-play folks but letting Patrons keep them, I suggest that instead you allow Patrons to "bank" their daily charges for dungeons, warfronts and whatnot.

Simply put, if you have active Patron time (even if you've already cancelled) you continue to accrue additional charges for every day that your Patron is in effect.

Say if you don't login for a month, as a free player you will always only ever have a maximum of seven of these charges at any given time, but as a Patron you could have thirty charges "banked" up from that month you were unable to login and play. Or more if you are away from the game longer, maybe a maximum of 999 for Patrons.

BUT! ALL unused charges over the initial seven completely disappear if your Patron time expires. Sorry, tough luck - you had a year (or whatever) to use them.

THIS would incentivize free players to buy Patron time.

You could always allow Patrons to "bank" dailies as well, maybe with a reset token that allows players to reset their daily quest count back to 25 or 40 or whatever higher number you decide on.

Re-labeling base game features as "convenience perks" and then taking them away from players who don't (or can't) pay is a ****** thing to do, especially for Trion.

Think about it.

Plane Walker

Agreed, you can look at most of my post i basically defend Trion. But putting basic current features behind a pay wall is horrible. Juat go back to the subscription format then and still have a cash shop for extras.

Rift Chaser

I agree that I would have never expected that move coming. I am not affected as I am pretty much always a patron when I am actively playing.

I do, however, like the idea of banking charges. Maybe not that much though. Maybe make it so you get double the amount, so 14 max. Maybe even 2 per day instead of one. Makes it better for patrons, but not worse for non patrons?

Like I said doesn't really effect me, but I can see the reasoning people not liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkjester View Post
    I agree that I would have never expected that move coming. I am not affected as I am pretty much always a patron when I am actively playing.

I do, however, like the idea of banking charges. Maybe not that much though. Maybe make it so you get double the amount, so 14 max. Maybe even 2 per day instead of one. Makes it better for patrons, but not worse for non patrons?

Like I said doesn't really effect me, but I can see the reasoning people not liking it.
    I don't think 14 would be anywhere near enough to incentivize players to buy Patron time but more definitely would, no doubt.

Giving Patrons the chance at having a "pool" they can drain later as long as they continue to pay just might do the trick (no pun intended).

Take me, for instance. For some reason that I still cannot figure out I bought six months of Patron time a week ago - its the first time I've done it since the conversion. If this banking feature were in effect now, I could potentially have over 100 banked dungeon, warfront and whatever charges in just a few months if I don't use them before then (which I probably wouldn't since my ability to play is determined solely by my job.)

If I did have 30, 55, 79, 102 or whatever charges banked up I would definitely keep spending money to keep them from expiring just on the off chance that I somehow get the time to use all of them.

Plus! It would be nice to have more than just 7 charges to burn through on those days that I can play all day - if I get 3-4 days off in row and the time to play it would be nice to just keep spending charges that I've already paid for instead of "Well, no more benefit in having fun anymore. Guess I'll log off and do something else."

Granted, Trion would have to increase or completely remove currency caps for this to work, but no one likes the caps anyway, so no one would be disappointed with an increase or their outright removal (keep the caps for free players, though).

Soulwalker

If Trion did this I would absolutely have patron and never end it. 2thumbs WAY up!

Shield of Telara

Or more if you are away from the game longer, maybe a maximum of 999 for Patrons.
    Will break progression on the next expansion.

I think this or something very similar would be a fantastic idea. If you look at time as a currency and it really is valuable, what they are doing is devaluing that currency where enticement would be a better idea.

I am a patron and would see this as not just incentive for me to renew but for others to fork out dollars as well as it is useful, convenient and not just fluff. Even with the bonus patron charges I still run out quickly when a group of us spam experts for fun until we are out of charges. It would also get a percentage of the playerbase doing more experts which is needed imo. Dunno if they would go for it though as I dont know their views on the extra accrual of marks and may need some number crunchers to fiddle with the rate, idk.

Soulwalker

I see this just died off and got buried deep in the forum. I really like this idea. I think its better than what we have now. Can't we do something to make this happen? Start a pettion or something? C'mon guys. Let's make Rift worth paying for!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Trauumhaft View Post
    Will break progression on the next expansion.
    It's why weekly caps and no more currency from boss kills was implemented. You can have 999999999999999999999 charges and it won't get you anywhere any faster then you can with only 7/whatever current max is with extra ones.
    Last edited by Repster; 03-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Telaran

I can see why this idea was never responded to. It won't happen as it's not viable.

Using charges give currency and currency is limited by a weekly cap. Since there is a weekly cap, the extra stacked charges would go to waste and become useless. The weekly caps are in place to control a smooth progression of gear. I nearly max out on a week-to-week basis with the charges already available.

You earn marks/currency from using your charges and you can only use so many charges in a week. I do not see how having a pool of charges would be useful.

I can only see this idea benefiting a player who wants to amass a large pool of charges while as a subbed patron and then unsubbing, becoming a free player and utilizing their pool of charges.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMajik12 View Post
    I can see why this idea was never responded to. It won't happen as it's not viable.

Using charges give currency and currency is limited by a weekly cap. Since there is a weekly cap, the extra stacked charges would go to waste and become useless. The weekly caps are in place to control a smooth progression of gear. I nearly max out on a week-to-week basis with the charges already available.

You earn marks/currency from using your charges and you can only use so many charges in a week. I do not see how having a pool of charges would be useful.

I can only see this idea benefiting a player who wants to amass a large pool of charges while as a subbed patron and then unsubbing, becoming a free player and utilizing their pool of charges.
    Did you even read the op? He or she has it solved in my eyes. Your patron time ends so does your pool except for the seven if you got them. I would gladly pay for patron if I could keep the perks I paid for. Most of us can't login and play everyday day after day like some of rift's playerbase. I think we should be able to keep what we've paid for. I could run 30 or 40 dungeons over a weekend sometimes and it would be nice to have the perks I already paid for waiting for me when they I can vegetate in front of the computer. People complain about other players not having gear to raid with them. Banking patron perks could help solve this as long as we stay paid up.

Shadowlander

So how about you can gain +1 to charges through loyalty, so that if you've spent money on the game you get those back, so with lots of loyalty you'd get back up to 7 for non patrons, and patrons could go up to 14.

So.... banking charges for warfront/Instances to whatever the limit? bad move, will never happen either..

LImited, yes.. 10, maybe 15.. but never more than that..

Why would you run your 50+ instances and go over the weekly cap, basically throwing away the surplus of marks, because you do too much...
    If not for the marks, then the amount of charges wouldnt matter much either.

And you can't expect Trion to raise the weekly cap to unlimited either, for then people would just save up on the charges, run the instances when they need the gear and gear up max in 2 or 3 days only...
    Now that would create a huge gap between non-patron and patron.. and isn't that exactly what we do NOT want?
    Last edited by Aranka; 03-03-2016 at 01:48 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shrabok View Post
    So how about you can gain +1 to charges through loyalty, so that if you've spent money on the game you get those back, so with lots of loyalty you'd get back up to 7 for non patrons, and patrons could go up to 14.
    That is actually a pretty good idea. It addresses the fact that some people spend a great deal of money on Rift despite not being Patrons. Giving these big spenders an increased maximum of stored Daily Charges would be a good way to retain their favour and keep them enjoying (and thus spending money on) Rift.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    So.... banking charges for warfront/Instances to whatever the limit? bad move, will never happen either..

LImited, yes.. 10, maybe 15.. but never more than that..

Why would you run your 50+ instances and go over the weekly cap, basically throwing away the surplus of marks, because you do too much...
    If not for the marks, then the amount of charges wouldnt matter much either.
    The charges activate on the random queue only. In order to avoid wasting charges once you have capped your weekly marks you could simply start queuing specific warfronts/dungeons instead (including all of them, if you have no real preferences).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast