+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Multicore support & 64bit client are coming

Default Multicore support & 64bit client are coming

twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Rift Master

This is amazing news! Not much in the way of new content announced but still this will have a tremendous impact going foward.
    That said I have to wonder why this couldn't have been mentioned earlier since it would have limited some of the "Rift is dying, Trion is greedy" feeling that spread thoughout a large part of the community(myself included). If instead of saying "hey guys we're putting Earrings behind a paywall" (which I'm still not happy about) they had said "hey guys we're sorry but we need to increase revenue to fund our current project of Multicore+64bit client" it would have gone over easier.

Woah that is huge. My tone is changed. Those expensive engineers.

We'll see though if it actually comes to be. Congratulations, this truly something to be proud of and thanks trion.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 02-03-2016 at 01:45 PM.

This is the most welcome news I've heard for a looooong time in this game.

Please try and give the community updates on time frames etc going forward over the coming months, these changes will be a pretty big deal for a large portion of the playing community.

Finally, an announcement with positive news for the playerbase!
    Last edited by crisbypancakes; 02-03-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    MOM 9/9 COA HM 4/4

HARSHMALLOWS Braxus - inactive

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Quote Originally Posted by crisbypancakes View Post
    This is the most welcome news I've heard for a looooong time in this game.

Please try and give the community updates on time frames etc going forward over the coming months, these changes will be a pretty big deal for a large portion of the playing community.

Finally, an announcement with positive news for the playerbase!
    That is the plan!

WOW! lots of good stuff to look forward to. I have to wonder with regards to new souls though, are they planning on looking at current souls that need some attention such as Elementalist for example. I hope so! All in all though, a good read
    Thoya - Gelidra
    Former Sagespire and Blightweald resident

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7

Quote Originally Posted by Artak View Post
    This is amazing news! Not much in the way of new content announced but still this will have a tremendous impact going foward.
    That said I have to wonder why this couldn't have been mentioned earlier since it would have limited some of the "Rift is dying, Trion is greedy" feeling that spread thoughout a large part of the community(myself included). If instead of saying "hey guys we're putting Earrings behind a paywall" (which I'm still not happy about) they had said "hey guys we're sorry but we need to increase revenue to fund our current project of Multicore+64bit client" it would have gone over easier.
    Timing is hard. If we say we're working on something, we have to make sure it works. For something of this magnitude that was several months of testing. We're a bit premature on announcing the 64 bit, that's farther off, but it made sense in conjunction with multi threading. That being said the pre-alpha testing that is going on right now is very promising, and I can say personally that it works. It's not absolutely flawless yet, but we're seeing positive results.

We can't necessarily hold everything else till we're ready to make announcements however. No matter how much we want to. So sometimes this all results in a suboptimal order of communication. Something that gives me fits as I'm personally responsible for a lot of our communication schedule.

So we totally get where you are coming from, and we're looking at how we can be more transparent about upcoming stuff. Sned's got a further letter coming to give more details, and we've gotten to the point where we can start talking more. I personally can't wait for beta tests for this feature to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Timing is hard. If we say we're working on something, we have to make sure it works. For something of this magnitude that was several months of testing. We're a bit premature on announcing the 64 bit, that's farther off, but it made sense in conjunction with multi threading. That being said the pre-alpha testing that is going on right now is very promising, and I can say personally that it works. It's not absolutely flawless yet, but we're seeing positive results.

We can't necessarily hold everything else till we're ready to make announcements however. No matter how much we want to. So sometimes this all results in a suboptimal order of communication. Something that gives me fits as I'm personally responsible for a lot of our communication schedule.

So we totally get where you are coming from, and we're looking at how we can be more transparent about upcoming stuff. Sned's got a further letter coming to give more details, and we've gotten to the point where we can start talking more. I personally can't wait for beta tests for this feature to begin.
    Can't wait for the BETA testing.

I'm sure you'd have a MASSIVE player base willing to do this for you
    Last edited by Zojah; 02-03-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Read the Archonix post wrong

General of Telara

Wow, I might finally be able to set texture quality to 3 without Rift crashing after 2 porticulums because it can't use more than ~3GB of my 16GB RAM...given that it will still work with wine, that is *fingers crossed*

While Trion indicated on the reddit talk that some signifficant technical improvements will come with 3.6, and it has been rather obvious that they reworked a lot of code in the last months, I didn't really believe they'd bite the bullet and go 64bit.
    I've converted some simpler software myself, and I know it is a sh**load of work if whomever originally wrote it didn't care about portability, so hats off, I can imagine how many dev hours this swallowed...

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    While Trion indicated on the reddit talk that some signifficant technical improvements will come with 3.6, and it has been rather obvious that they reworked a lot of code in the last months, I didn't really believe they'd bite the bullet and go 64bit.
    I've converted some simpler software myself, and I know it is a sh**load of work if whomever originally wrote it didn't care about portability, so hats off, I can imagine how many dev hours this swallowed...
    Multicore first, and even that doesn't have a strict timetable. That project has been in the works for 18+ months, and is the first step. Then 64 bit (which has had work done concurrently, but isn't as close to release). As a non engineer I'd say several thousands of hours in now to the process. They'd probably want to give a more precise answer. ;)

Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you !

Fantasy - 51 Justicar - Eyes of Eternity - Vigil (retired)
    Electrah - 61 Riftstalker - Harshmallows - Gelidra (retired)
    No longer playing Rift

Shadowlander

Rift has always been a train wreck when you wanted performance, multicore support won't make a huge impact especially for AMD users. You need to port more of the game to the GPU to really see a difference.

General of Telara

@Ocho: yes true, Snedhepl only indicated a big announcement at the 3.6 timeframe on reddit, not that you'd be done with it then...you better not dump this on us without an extensive testing phase for each step, I guess

@Aura: I don't really agree there, total performance you can get out of AMD CPUs when using all cores is really not that horrible. Anything that can offload a signifficant amount of work to another core will also help AMD users, it may not necessesarily make AMD systems catch up with Intel ones, as the latter will benefit too until it becomes GPU limited, but it sure should help.

Thank you Ocho and Archonix

This is very very exciting news about the new technical strides forward.

I am sure, like myself, many of the players will be a lot happier to know that their money has been going to support specific development work such as this.

Can I make a bit of a suggestion for you as you move forward towards Beta testing of this which is to start setting up official testing schedules now with the players, get them on board now, or even yesterday!. Please try and get as much communication out to players as soon as possible as this will keep everyone really engaged!!!

Will you be setting up a communication system where the players can submit their system spec and setup to you and you can grab as many of them as you possibly can so you will have literally hundreds or even thousands of different system setups testing simultaneously.

I do have a quick question if that's okay: Will this require a complete reinstall of the client once the 64-bit version is completed or will this be done discretely in the background as part of weekly updates once it is ready (using PTS as base)?

Very excited as I am running an AMD FX 8320 8 core with 32gb of ram and a Geforce 750...

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #15

Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    I do have a quick question if that's okay: Will this require a complete reinstall of the client once the 64-bit version is completed or will this be done discretely in the background as part of weekly updates once it is ready (using PTS as base)?
    64 bit is more complicated, and how to roll it out is one of the (many) discussions in progress.

Multicore support is currently functional on the regular servers, and is being tested in real world conditions. It's limited now, because getting too much feedback at this point will make it harder to spot issues. We'll be expanding that out in a big way in the future.
    Last edited by Ocho; 02-03-2016 at 03:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast