+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
Like Tree43Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Multicore support & 64bit client are coming

  1. #16
    Plane Walker AtoningUnifex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    64 bit is more complicated, and how to roll it out is one of the (many( discussions in progress.

    Multicore support is currently functional on the regular servers, and is being tested in real world conditions. It's limited now, because getting too much feedback at this point will make it harder to spot issues. We'll be expanding that out in a big way in the future.
    Thanks Ocho, if its already making its way into main code then you will already be getting feedback from users on the difference, and in fact I think someone further up this page has done just that

    Will watch this space with interest, but for now I have another question
    I watched the last technical stream with great interest and found the discussions around bug fixes very useful. Can you give any indication as to when you and Snedhelp will do a livestream on these technical changes, even if its just to do a demo of the multicore setup?

    Much appreciated,

    thanks

  2. #17
    Plane Walker Zojah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    I personally can't wait for beta tests for this feature to begin.
    Would that be what the massive 15Gb patch is on PTS??

  3. #18
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    Rift has always been a train wreck when you wanted performance, multicore support won't make a huge impact especially for AMD users. You need to port more of the game to the GPU to really see a difference.
    Other way around. Generally speaking your looking at 4-6 AMD cores VS 2 Intel cores on the low end, or 8 AMD cores VS 4 intel cores on mid-range to high end gaming (or more for ludicrous machines that don't get any benefit CPU wise for raw gaming). Being able to use most of your cores effectively? Yeah, AMD is gonna get more benefit from Multi core support.

    Especially since the default "Get Intel for Gaming" is purely based on better single core performance of intel CPUs and poor multi core support of general gaming. RIFT getting true multi core support is a major benifit to it's AMD using population.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

  4. #19
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    Rift has always been a train wreck when you wanted performance, multicore support won't make a huge impact especially for AMD users. You need to port more of the game to the GPU to really see a difference.
    You know how MMOs work right? Most of the complicated calculations are NOT visual, they are communication strings with servers/client, they are math crunching with damage, movement, location of players, chat systems, the AH systems. All things a GPU can't improve because a GPU is for graphics.

    MMOs have always suffered because of this because MMOs are FAR more complicated the single player games. CPU is WAY more important to an MMO than GPU.

    Also... Where's my Port Scion / Shadowlands! T-T

  5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #20
    Rift Team Ocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtoningUnifex View Post
    Thanks Ocho, if its already making its way into main code then you will already be getting feedback from users on the difference, and in fact I think someone further up this page has done just that

    Will watch this space with interest, but for now I have another question
    I watched the last technical stream with great interest and found the discussions around bug fixes very useful. Can you give any indication as to when you and Snedhelp will do a livestream on these technical changes, even if its just to do a demo of the multicore setup?

    Much appreciated,

    thanks
    Probably in about 2 weeks. ;) This week's stream will be on the big picture for 2016.

  6. #21
    Plane Walker AtoningUnifex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Probably in about 2 weeks. ;) This week's stream will be on the big picture for 2016.
    Thank you once again Ocho, I will be watching this week's stream with interest, and a little trepidation.

    Will be watching the technical one very closely and may have a few questions for you all then
    Last edited by AtoningUnifex; 02-03-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling and content

  7. #22
    Prophet of Telara Zaber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    It is good news, as long they avoid what they did the week befor and let us know ahead of time.

  8. #23
    Ascendant Laeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,158

    Default

    Totally with AtoningU here, I love watching all Rift livestreams (even tho they keep me awake in the middle of the night hehe) but I'd be happy to see more tech related streams in the future, lookin forward to the next one.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

  9. #24
    Champion of Telara McChaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Literally, this just restored faith. Now go officially buy-to-play and we're set for future expansion packs.
    Everything after Storm Legion was a mistake. ()

  10. #25
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Probably in about 2 weeks. ;) This week's stream will be on the big picture for 2016.
    ... and will the folks across the pond (Europe) also be able to see that stream live (for Rift) without having to stay up the whole night?


  11. #26
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Probably in about 2 weeks. ;) This week's stream will be on the big picture for 2016.

    That's amazing! It takes me about 3 weeks to move a regular change forward with zero code development, and that's prefaced on if I can get an exemption from the release scheduled (which is often easy given the nature of my changes)...... F'ing ITIL.

    I look forward to the improvements. However, no need to rush it.

  12. #27
    RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qosmo View Post
    Would that be what the massive 15Gb patch is on PTS??
    Meh, you had me firing up Glyph in excitement and all i got was a 60MB+ patch on PTS

    For an interesting rad on what the new Gamebryo Engine is getting (64-bit, multi-core, DirectX 12) take a look at this article from over a year and 2 months ago, curious if Trion got their hands on this or, more impressively, was it a totally inhouse conversion

    http://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inter...-and-stability

  13. #28
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    156

    Default

    This is probably the best news I've heard since the Wardrobe announcement but honestly don't think you should have held off announcing something as big as this...

    I just hope it comes soon, even if released default off as it's becoming extremely difficult to play Rift with all the lagg and other errors usually temporary resolved by a restart of client.

    I am interested though if this is an engine upgrade (or partial) or a 100% in-house job. Also, when you say "true multicore support" does that mean DX12, DX11 or you managed to get it working on DX9? Also, how many cores will be used (currently Rift uses 1/8th of my CPU)?

  14. #29
    Plane Walker AtoningUnifex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faerugue View Post
    ... and will the folks across the pond (Europe) also be able to see that stream live (for Rift) without having to stay up the whole night?

    Even though I am in EU I still manage now and again to watch the livestreams though now our child has been born its a more difficult and I tend to be more selective about which ones i watch live now.

    Like everything else in my life it involves pre-planning now

    Also thought the article about Gamebryo was interesting and wonder if TRION have been working in partnership or doing complete in-house re-write.

  15. #30
    Plane Walker Zojah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Meh, you had me firing up Glyph in excitement and all i got was a 60MB+ patch on PTS
    There's a 60MB patch and a 15Gb one to follow for me. I was on the PTS a few days before so it was definitely up to date before hand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts