+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: They say only 7-15 % spend money in game...Heres how to increase that number !

Rift Disciple

Default They say only 7-15 % spend money in game...Heres how to increase that number !

According to TrionBrasse:

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post

In general, across GOOD free-to-play games, only 7-15% of players pay anything at all. Ever. The truth is that the more you give away for free, the harder it is to keep a great game in development.

This is in reference to the removal of Rex from Ascend a Friend rewards. Instead of just increasing the cost of Rex to lower the total market supply they removed it completely . Whatever. But that means They are needing to see more sales in other places. I know at least one way that can be accomplished.

I think its fair to say most players who raid seriously in the game either 1) Buy Rex for service Items such as rune-unsocketers or 2) Patron for the token boost. Yet, the sale items such as the Spooky crate or the Ashen Greyhound crate have NOTHING for these players. Lets take a look at what I mean

Ashen Greyhound: T1 Neck, Rings, Trinket, and Hearts of the frozen with a extremely low chance of a mount. Why would any T2 or T3 raider (a.k.a people who already want to spend their money on this game) buy this ? Nothing in this crate is useful and the mount is so far from guaranteed only an idiot would buy one thinking they will actually get what they want (the mount).

Puke Green Spooky Budgy: T2 necks, earring, trinket, or eyes of madness. With, again, ultra low chance of a green Budgy. iGP and HK have been out for months and months. Anyone who doesn't have this gear already is so far behind, and probably already in T3.Again, the only real reason to buy these boxes is for the mount.

Which leads me to my point. Two ways to improve revenue:

If Trion want more sales, make desirable Items purchaseable. It's that simple. Trion would have made at least another 40-50 dollars off of me this year alone if some of the Trove mounts were simply guaranteed drops. Yes, I want the mount. But am I stupid enough to gamble on crates ? Absolutely not. So Instead of spending some, I'll spend nothing

The second way they could improve revenue is put guaranteed drops in the boxes that everyone needs. Rune unsocketers, Planar essence unsocketers. Warfront/Dungeon charges.

Now, I might buy a box knowing at least 1/2 of that 650 credits I paid will be worth it.

As it stands, many many players that COULD be spending money just simply will not gamble it away on (99% of the time) worthless boxes.

yeah these gamble boxes are the worst kind of things to spend your $$ in
    they look so much out of imagination,i mean is it sooooooo hard to put some really cool looking mounts in store for credits?with every movement they do lately the more basis gets the meaning of moneygrabbing
    Maniaq@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Grobari View Post
    yeah these gamble boxes are the worst kind of things to spend your $$ in
    they look so much out of imagination,i mean is it sooooooo hard to put some really cool looking mounts in store for credits?with every movement they do lately the more basis gets the meaning of moneygrabbing
    I look at it more like "taking advantage of less financially disciplined people to gamble on horrible boxes " than money grabbing. I'm fine with a money grab if its WORTH the money.

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Lockboxes: some people love 'em, some people hate 'em.
    There is no question that Rift gains more revenue toward our development costs from items obtained through lockboxes rather than in selling items directly, so you can expect them to continue.

Lockboxes work because they allow for the element of surprise and anticipation, which humans (and Dwarves) love. Endless reams of data support the fact that people enjoy being surprised, and will support lockboxes far more than buying individual items on the store.

I'll admit to buying a lot of lockboxes before I got my sleek Greathound, but it was immensely satisfying when I finally did (and had a relatively rare mount). I also acquired a ton of useful stuff that I put to good use. I think that is part of the key, including things in lockboxes so that you feel you received value for your investment.

The way I look at it in ANY game (and most offer lockboxes these days) we all want something cool and hard to obtain, and the credits spent go directly to supporting future game content for games I love to play, may they live forever.

As an analogy, consider that games from MTG to Hearthstone offer "lockboxes" in card pack form - no way would they work if they sold the cards directly.* Do not ask me how much money I've dropped in those games. MUCHES.

Brasse

*Admittedly I have purchased many MTG cards on the secondary resale market when building certain decks, but I have also paid quite a lot more for them. Again, muches...

I'd buy a lockbox if there was a 20% chance at an eye of untold madness.

Rift Disciple

There is no question that Rift gains more revenue toward our development costs from items obtained through lockboxes rather than in selling items directly, so you can expect them to continue.

Lockboxes work because they allow for the element of surprise and anticipation, which humans (and Dwarves) love. Endless reams of data support the fact that people enjoy being surprised, and will support lockboxes far more than buying individual items on the store.

I'll admit to buying a lot of lockboxes before I got my sleek Greathound, but it was immensely satisfying when I finally did (and had a relatively rare mount). I also acquired a ton of useful stuff that I put to good use. I think that is part of the key, including things in lockboxes so that you feel you received value for your investment.

The way I look at it in ANY game (and most offer lockboxes these days) we all want something cool and hard to obtain, and the credits spent go directly to supporting future game content for games I love to play, may they live forever.

As an analogy, consider that games from MTG to Hearthstone offer "lockboxes" in card pack form - no way would they work if they sold the cards directly.* Do not ask me how much money I've dropped in those games. MUCHES.

Brasse

*Admittedly I have purchased many MTG cards on the secondary resale market when building certain decks, but I have also paid quite a lot more for them. Again, muches...
    Those people would still buy lockboxes.

There should also be options for people who dislike gambling. more option = more revenue

I'd probably buy lockboxes if they weren't roughly 5USD which is about $7 Canadian.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather buy a $5 lottery ticket with a slim chance at winning 50 million than a $7 digital lottery box with a slim chance at getting something no where near worth 50 million.

If they cost around the price of a chocolate bar or something. I'd probably buy one a week or something.

Also your mounts and cosmetic outfits are overpriced, but then again, this shop is designed to fish for whales, not a school of smaller fish.

Brasse

Sure people like being surprised, you neglected to mention the reams and reams of data that would suggest people dont like being disappointed which happens a lot with lock boxes. If you are going to put forward authorative information please make it balanced and not skewed towards your own agenda.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a "player". I'm sure of the number of accounts created, that 7-15% could be accurate, since many players don't stay long enough to warrant spending money, but it seems a little low for active players in a f2p game.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

There are few friends even me deal with lock box RNG from other mmo. I stay away from it and other people I know as well stay away from it. I'm mostly in to cool looking weapons and costumes the few I seen in the game not so great to me to take out my wallet to get them.

But sometimes I know that the CM are working hard but letting us know whats going on and help us understand Rift future as it's not being going so well in my eyes so many things that not being worked on that need it and other stuff that don't need it being work on. The Dev need to work better with the CM get the word out little bit more in whats going on with the game.
    Last edited by Zaber; 01-27-2016 at 06:51 PM.

In December, I tripled my game spending budget because - like the Autumn Harvest Grab Bags - the content of the Fae Yule Dimension grab bags was adjusted to include desirable and rare items, without the common items. I was delighted to receive all of the rare items that I wanted (and more besides), and I found it quite an addictive process, knowing I was going to get something I could actually use.

Conversely, I was not impressed with the contents of other dimension lockboxes so spent almost all that enlarged budget where it was the most fun. Obviously, other players may get more mileage in other ways but with regard to lockboxes, knowing I'm going to receive something of rare or better quality out of a pool of items I actually want means I won't spend a bunch of money on stuff and walk away disappointed.
    Thorin's Halls, Lost Cavern, The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Avalon, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer Greybriar Dimension Geek

Telaran

Yeah never saw lockboxes as worth the money to get a CHANCE at something nice over actually spending my money and getting something worth for it.

Rift Disciple

Brasse

I really think you missed my point though, to be honest. I've gotten Crates in the past and gotten blue planar essences out of it...what. If it had a guaranteed, like I said before, unscocketer. charge, etc, for instance, I'd feel a LOT better buying a box.

Not only that, but your "analogy " is terrible. I KNOW im going to get 9 or 13 or whatever cards from a few dollar pack of MTG. In boxes you can get vials...there is nothing guaranteed in them.
    Last edited by Whatisausername; 01-27-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Ya'll gotta see that if 7-15% spend money on a game, then even less are significant supporters you can look those stats up too, hunting the whale and all. If all these games keep coming to RNG boxes, and f2p are supported by, exaggerated, 2 people, then it comes to say they're comfortable buying a lot of boxes frequently.

There are people that even get bored of owning everything in these kind of games, from simple having too much wealth.

For rift spefeically remember the difference between the doctors without borders event and the rng box greyhound. They got A LOT more money from the dumb rng dog then the direct purchase doctor thing. (of course a mount is cooler than doctor wardrobe so that argument could be made)

We're poor and smart. Sorry. It's a very realistic and boring lifestyle.

Telaran

Yes I have to agree with what spaceboots said.....poor and smart. We dont enjoy wasting the money that we do have on what you call "luck"
    Last edited by Nericu; 01-27-2016 at 07:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast