+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: They say only 7-15 % spend money in game...Heres how to increase that number !

shp
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Lockboxes: some people love 'em, some people hate 'em.
    Are you kidding me right now? Find me one person in game/forums who will say 'yeah I love lockboxes!'. Everyone hates them.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
    Last edited by shp; 01-27-2016 at 10:28 PM.

I wonder if those 7-15% is of every player (includes newcomers that stop and uninstall at level 15) or only level 65 players.

If it is out of level 65 players only that is a pretty sad number, if it includes 'trial players' too, well that's a bit of a useless number imo.

I wondered because I know not a single high end character that didn't spend ANY money on the game (and I know many). Some only bought a Typhoon edition, some bought 240 days patron for 28,99 on that cheap key selling site everyone knows, some bought 'best bang for the buck' RIFT Ultimate Editions for 10,- - but still they all spent money (unless you only count in game store purchases, as official Trion prices are like 100-200% higher than external pages).
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by shp View Post
    Are you kidding me right now? Find me one person in game/forums who will say 'yeah I love lockboxes!'. Everyone hates them.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
    Disgruntled forum warriors are not the target market. If no one bought these lottery ticket boxes, multiple game companies would not waste their time and resources creating them. They are, in fact, extremely profitable and unlikely to fall out of favor any time soon.

There is no question that Rift gains more revenue toward our development costs from items obtained through lockboxes rather than in selling items directly, so you can expect them to continue.

Lockboxes work because they allow for the element of surprise and anticipation, which humans (and Dwarves) love. Endless reams of data support the fact that people enjoy being surprised, and will support lockboxes far more than buying individual items on the store.

I'll admit to buying a lot of lockboxes before I got my sleek Greathound, but it was immensely satisfying when I finally did (and had a relatively rare mount). I also acquired a ton of useful stuff that I put to good use. I think that is part of the key, including things in lockboxes so that you feel you received value for your investment.

The way I look at it in ANY game (and most offer lockboxes these days) we all want something cool and hard to obtain, and the credits spent go directly to supporting future game content for games I love to play, may they live forever.

As an analogy, consider that games from MTG to Hearthstone offer "lockboxes" in card pack form - no way would they work if they sold the cards directly.* Do not ask me how much money I've dropped in those games. MUCHES.

Brasse

*Admittedly I have purchased many MTG cards on the secondary resale market when building certain decks, but I have also paid quite a lot more for them. Again, muches...

Compare your evil lock boxes with cards pack in hearthstone is just a proof you don't understand why your lockboxes are evil.
    In hearthstone we get cards in cards packs (logic) but i we get a card we already have we can DEZ it in order to get an OTHER card of OUR choice.
    We can also farm IG currency and buy a booster.

I Rift, with a lockbox, we get stupid and useless stuff 95% of time. Dez this stuff will only reward us with the same craft item we get for dez a random item.
    Your lockbox are evil because we get useless things too many times.
    The only lockboxes in Rift witch are not too evil are dimensions lockboxes. We always get dim item witch is usefull. (but the is still the problem of rarity of item: too many item in theses boxes are not so rare)

I haven't buy credits since last summer. Two reasons:
    -The first one (and the most important) is the insane 30% increase of credit cost.
    How can you imagine someone to put more money in rift with an insane increase like this?
    The result of that is that i buying many less things in rift store.
    -You don't put enought things in direct sale and i refuse to buy a lockbox when this lockbox have 95% to give only stupid and useless stuff.

If you want players like me to give you more money, it's possible, you have just to:
    -Lower the credit cost. The previous cost was a good cost. The insane 30% increase was the most stupid decision you took about the rift store.
    -Create more item in direct sale. That's great for players who hate RNG.
    -Rework your lockboxes to make them less evil (ie to be less evil a lockbox must always give us something usefull)
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    I wonder if those 7-15% is of every player (includes newcomers that stop and uninstall at level 15) or only level 65 players.

If it is out of level 65 players only that is a pretty sad number, if it includes 'trial players' too, well that's a bit of a useless number imo.

I wondered because I know not a single high end character that didn't spend ANY money on the game (and I know many). Some only bought a Typhoon edition, some bought 240 days patron for 28,99 on that cheap key selling site everyone knows, some bought 'best bang for the buck' RIFT Ultimate Editions for 10,- - but still they all spent money (unless you only count in game store purchases, as official Trion prices are like 100-200% higher than external pages).
    That's why I asked what they counted as "players". As a f2p game, you'll get plenty of people that create an account and leave before they spend any money. You could include them all to improve the basis of your argument or you could count players that reached a certain point in the game where money would be spent (typically just before endgame or endgame itself). Either would be valid sets of data, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. And based on the vagueness of the statistic, I'm leaning towards the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Lock boxes are a huge ripoff, period.

They're only mentioned when some poor person spent a fortune thinking they'd get a cool mount only to get gear that might be relevant... if you bother with the what, 4? 5? upgrade steps to get it to T1? No one ever mentions lock boxes to tell how amazing they are.

Obviously Trion would never release any data about drop chance on these things. But I guess it's safe to say it's below 1%. Which in theory means you'd need to spend 500 to get a mount. I might be wrong about that number though. But even if drop chance was 10%, which is definitely higher than in actuality, that's 50. For a mount in an MMO. No wonder they receive more money from ripping off unsuspecting players with fat wallets, it's nothing but a scam.

Rift Disciple

As an analogy, consider that games from MTG to Hearthstone offer "lockboxes" in card pack form - no way would they work if they sold the cards directly.* Do not ask me how much money I've dropped in those games. MUCHES.
    be like an activision is a bad idea. they just grab good games or ideas and make a cash cow - nothing more.
    I hope you will never choose this way.

still love rift, but you'll began throttle it at least from 3.0. be careful.

Lockboxes are not my idea of fun, but try naming a Free 2 Play game without some sort of "lockbox" gamble

They're obviously making the Game Companies plenty of money, else why even have them and not sell direct, look at TORtanic's latest offering, one of the most restrictive "we don't want you to play for free" MMO's out there, they will be introducing a lockbox within a lockbox mentality, reducing items in their "lower tier" boxes

You can read all the fun and games here, the Thread will look familiar in terms of the posts

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...09#edit8768909

Soulwalker

There is no question that Rift gains more revenue toward our development costs from items obtained through lockboxes rather than in selling items directly, so you can expect them to continue.
    Okay, fair enough, you guys make a lot of money from lockboxes... But maybe we could come to some sort of compromise. Say for every 3 lockbox mounts you put in the store, you add a new mount/costume/etc that can be bought outright for people (like me) that refuse to buy those boxes.

When I came back to the game recently I told myself I could buy the $20 bundle of credits each month, but you know what, I haven't even been doing that because there's nothing for me. I have most of the items I want.

Side note: Who are these mystery people who spend a ton on lockboxes? I have yet to meet anyone in games or forums that enjoy these things and openly say "Gee jolly, I can't wait to drop my paycheck on a slim chance for virtual goodies!"
    Last edited by Mylicia; 01-28-2016 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatisausername View Post
    Ashen Greyhound: T1 Neck, Rings, Trinket, and Hearts of the frozen with a extremely low chance of a mount. Why would any T2 or T3 raider (a.k.a people who already want to spend their money on this game) buy this ? Nothing in this crate is useful and the mount is so far from guaranteed only an idiot would buy one thinking they will actually get what they want (the mount).
    box gear is BOA, you can send it to an alt - unless your alts are all T2 ofc.
    as for the mount there's a high chance it will show up as an affinity reward at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylicia View Post
    Okay, fair enough, you guys make a lot of money from lockboxes... But maybe we could come to some sort of compromise. Say for every 3 lockbox mounts you put in the store, you add a new mount/costume/etc that can be bought outright for people (like me) that refuse to buy those boxes.

When I came back to the game recently I told myself I could buy the $20 bundle of credits each month, but you know what, I haven't even been doing that because there's nothing for me. I have most of the items I want.

Side note: Who are these mystery people who spend a ton on lockboxes? I have yet to meet anyone in games or forums that enjoy these things and openly say "Gee jolly, I can't wait to drop my paycheck on a slim chance for virtual goodies!"
    you could buy rex and trade it for the mount directly from another player (in theory).

as for boxes, as slip said there's a reason almost every game has a gambling aspect - if it wouldn't sell companies wouldn't do it, it's as easy as that. ofc people like you and me say "why in the heck would you ever....?" - but they exist. I mean, how many people still play destiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    That's why I asked what they counted as "players". As a f2p game, you'll get plenty of people that create an account and leave before they spend any money. You could include them all to improve the basis of your argument or you could count players that reached a certain point in the game where money would be spent (typically just before endgame or endgame itself). Either would be valid sets of data, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. And based on the vagueness of the statistic, I'm leaning towards the former.
    there are plenty of statistics about f2p games, it's nothing new that the majority doesn't spent anything, wherever you set the threshold.
    Last edited by Gray; 01-28-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Rift Disciple

Lockboxes work because they allow for the element of surprise and anticipation, which humans (and Dwarves) love. Endless reams of data support the fact that people enjoy being surprised, and will support lockboxes far more than buying individual items on the store.

I'll admit to buying a lot of lockboxes before I got my sleek Greathound, but it was immensely satisfying when I finally did (and had a relatively rare mount). I also acquired a ton of useful stuff that I put to good use. I think that is part of the key, including things in lockboxes so that you feel you received value for your investment.

The way I look at it in ANY game (and most offer lockboxes these days) we all want something cool and hard to obtain, and the credits spent go directly to supporting future game content for games I love to play, may they live forever.

Brasse

*Admittedly I have purchased many MTG cards on the secondary resale market when building certain decks, but I have also paid quite a lot more for them. Again, muches...
    Boxes are basically a lottery a large group of people investing a little in a low chance at an item they want.

So why not make two options? Low cost chance based boxes and a higher cost guarantee item chest. Its not like the actual number of them are limited its all arbitrary.

Plane Touched

If they want more people to spend money in-game, they need to put out a quality game. Path of Exile is completely free-to-play, and everything is cosmetic. They believe up to 48% of people in that game spend money on it via their RMT store, because it's a quality game worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre_06 View Post
    If they want more people to spend money in-game, they need to put out a quality game. Path of Exile is completely free-to-play, and everything is cosmetic. They believe up to 48% of people in that game spend money on it via their RMT store, because it's a quality game worth the money.
    http://landingpage.swrve.com/rs/swrv...eport-0114.pdf

/sigh and the lockboxes among other things are largely why I and my guild quit playing. Now I still on in from time to time and talk with old friends but even that is beginning to disappear as more and more people I know have quit.

Such a shame, I use to love this game.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre_06 View Post
    PoE cost way less to Developed and I'm Not saying I don't agree with you just saying 2 different games not same cost to keep it running.
    Last edited by Zaber; 01-28-2016 at 08:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast