+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: [Open discussion] The monetization of RIFT

Default [Open discussion] The monetization of RIFT

Hello everyone,

I want to do an open discussion with you about the current state of RIFT’s monetization, about the positive and negative aspects, the advantages and the flaws. To keep this discussion constructive, please keep in mind Trion is a company that needs to make revenue that covers all the cost plus a profit for growth (future projects), bad times (savings) and interest for investors.

RIFT currently runs a F2P model, which has much changed since it was first introduced. In my opinion Trion has focused a lot on some categories and seems to have abandoned others, probably because they didn’t pay out as much.

Here are my thoughts:

Services
    Please get away from selling pay walls like earring slots and PW:W and go over to sell cool convenience services. How about a 7-day license to open your own store (you go in AFK state and people can right click you like vendors and buy stuff from you)? Or how about “insta-port me to active zone event item” (10min CD)? Or an item to make a one-time server announcement for 2,500c (i. e. birthday wishes or so)… there is so many interesting stuff you could create and monetize without upsetting people.

Boosts
    Boosts were probably top sellers during Storm Legion, but you made most of them completely obsolete with Nightmare Tide:
    - XP Boost: You get 2 free 160% XP vials from Ascended Trove, which is enough to get power leveled to 65. These will maybe sell again with a level cap increase, but a lot people still have tons of them stored.
    - Favor Boost: Warmonger Weapons made this a bit more interesting, but favor overall isn’t that interesting to buy a booster for it.
    - Prestige Boost: Prestige is useless in current state, so why would anyone buy a booster?
    - Token Boost: Due to the weekly caps even on low end currencies, token boosts are only interesting for those who really only play a few hours per week. If you have enough time to finish weeklies, PvP stacks, NTE stacks and chronicles you will already hit most of the caps and therefore need no boosters.
    - Notoriety Boost: This is the only boost that is still is kind of attractive.
    The second misconception of the boosters is the 2h duration. You have to pay around 6$ for a 2 hour 160% boost, which forces you to a specific behavior. For token you usually finish all your dailies/weeklies, then use the booster and turn everything in to get the max. out of it. Then you should already be on the weekly cap but if not, you will now go for PvP/NTE. As time is running out you might rage easily if you are in a losing team or your NTE group doesn’t perform that well. Same goes for all other vials – you “are on vial”, so breaks, other activities etc. are inefficient now. This can cause high stress.
    I would change the complete boost system to 1, 3 and 7 days and lower the boosts from 80/160 to 50/100, so players can be more relaxed and the boosters are more interesting. I think 750c for 1 day, 2000c for 3 days and 3500c for 7 days would be attractive prices for these boosters.

Chests & Keys
    The lockbox & key system is currently completely broken, a lot people sit on tons of keys, but only few lockboxes drop and those are not even up to date. As there are probably more keys than lockboxes in game currently I would recommend the following changes:
    - unify the keys again and leave only the relic key (convert all others)
    - make only keys drop in open world & from patron boxes
    - make a lockbox version of each supply crate and sell it 25% cheaper in store
    Regarding supply crates and lockboxes in general, I would appreciate discounted bundles of 5, 10 and 25 boxes with a guaranteed mount unlock for the purchasing account for the 25 bundle.
    Also, please bring back piñatas. Add them to bundle purchases or as a reward for every 5000 credits spent in store.

Storage
    Bag space is something you can easily monetize, as it is comfort only:
    - Take away the credit option of low level bags (which is ridiculously overpriced anyway, i. e. 3p vs 45c), all bags up to 28 slots are so easy and cheap to buy for plat or craft that they won’t be a good source for revenue
    - Offer cheap bag bundles for credits (i. e. 5x 32 slot bags for 1500c)
    - Offer biggest bag (i. e. 40 slot) only for credits (i. e. 750c per bag)

There is many other stuff that could be improved and I will maybe add up some later.

What do you think? What do you like and dislike regarding monetization. What services would you pay money for and what do you think is total garbage?
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

There's very few games that take the F2P model and execute it well.

Rift is not one of those games.

It's really bad.

Ascendant

I do not want to be *that* guy, but IMO the monetization is not Rift's main problem.

Personally when I pay money for a free service, I calculate my very personal cost/value ratio. And as Rift in its current state IMO is just not good enough, I keep my wallet mostly shut. This is regardless of how they try to monetize their service, it is a result of how I perceive the quality of said service.

In other words: they could fill the store with the best utility/fluff the world has ever seen - if the game they build around that shop is not good enough, I'm not going to buy that stuff.

Actually Rifts F2P model used to be very good, it just went downhill (and quite steeply so) since NT.

All of Seshatars suggestions in this thread are excellent, and implementing those could generate revenue without upsetting players about pay2win.
    Axynia - Pagefault - Segfault - Xinira
    <Transcendent>
    Inactive

Prophet of Telara

At the initial F2P conversion, Rift's F2P model was very good. The whole thing still stung (the newly advertised yearly cheap deal if you pre-bought the SL expac only to have it go F2P weeks later and refuse to refund still sits poorly with me), but overall it was one of the better F2P models in the MMO market for the time.

Over time it's descended into a greasy, stinking, nickle'n'diming pay-to-win massive grind where you can also pay to win a chance at some RNG possibly maybe easing some of the pain. I won't even touch the cash shop in it's current state. Or the game itself actually. I did pop back over Xmas but didn't like what I found so I left again after a week.
    Last edited by Islesi; 01-26-2016 at 04:11 AM.
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I think this model is great however I do not appreciate the amount of RNG in RIFT or the lack of consistent updates and feel the execution needs refining.

Comparison:
    Trove: Buy some new mounts wardrobe etc outright updated regularly

I was hoping the Affinity system would be completely free from RNG because I'm a loyal patron but it isn't and this puzzles me. I understand that art work is different in a voxel where the community makes many things but surely there are artists/devs on the RIFT team that have all these great ideas that might be applied a few times a year to coincide with other updates? Affinity system needs Wardrobe items and is also a good place to apply mount reskin colors exclusive to it and also pets, portraits and portrait badges.

Our store needs consistent updates not just with world events - not everyone is interested in these themes. (thank goldfish I'm not one of them BRING ON CARNIVAL!)

Example:
    We have not had wardrobe item updates outside of world events, Primalist or content since the last contest and most of those wardrobes can now be fished up making them more obsolete than before.

Other means of attaining items are also not consistently updated

Example:
    Lucky Coins

Being able to purchase Rex with Ascend a friend is odd also the intent behind it makes no sense when its offered no where else in the game.

All these great ideas implemented over the years but just not consistently updated since F2P was introduced coinciding with other updates in the store where lockboxes etc could still be applied allowing value and more importantly excitement using up currencies we've all accumulated playing this game so we feel our time spent is as important as money.

EDIT: Took out ArcheAge comparison since its published.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-26-2016 at 05:03 AM.

At first it was fine. But like others have said its gone downhill and basically become a roundabout type of P2W because the upgrade costs on gear are freaking ridiculous plus currency caps basically mean if you want to upgrade a full suit by the time the next gear is released the store is the easiest way to do it. Maybe the only way to do it if you're like me and can only play here and there.

On top of needing a ton of marks, each mark is stupidly expensive on the store so GL unless you have a ton of discretionary cash - I can't justify the cost (my extra cash goes to investments in RL) so I don't buy em -- so people like me get to be frustrated by lack of advancement.

Perhaps the worst thing is that it really feels like Trions focus has become "crank out re-skinned mounts and boxes/troves" before fixing class issues/bugs/releasing stable content i.e. Improving the game.

The current state is too obviously a money grab. I would be ok with it if they just fixed the issues FIRST. Also I think they'd actually make more money if they simply lowered the upgrade cost so it wasn't like 25 or 30 bucks to upgrade a piece of armor. Five bucks per-slot maybe and you'd have a ton more people buying from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by qUiXui View Post
    Actually Rifts F2P model used to be very good, it just went downhill (and quite steeply so) since NT.

All of Seshatars suggestions in this thread are excellent, and implementing those could generate revenue without upsetting players about pay2win.
    I agree, they are good suggestions but I doubt Trion will really do much about it, let me explain my view.

First and foremost Trion is a business, regardless of all the rhetoric and pr, they dont provide the game because they love it or us, its to make money. Though a few devs may take pride in Rift and want to give us an amazing enjoyable game, they arent the masters. So as the population steadily declines where will those dollars come from? From the remaining playerbase of course so expect more paywalls, more p2w elements as they try to keep the money rolling in. Do I begrudge them this? No I don't its their business and good or bad they can run it as they see fit. On the flipside, my money is my own and I can spend it or not as I wish. I believe Trion used too much of the stick and not enough carrot and are now facing the consequences of some poor executive decisions, just my opinion.

At a time when the number of people playing online is increasing enormously, the population in Rift has been steadily declining. But in my opinion Rift is the best MMO available at this time. So great game, good community (mostly) so I believe the issue is bad management. I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop the rot sadly. But I will always have fond memories of good times and good people in Rift no matter what the future holds.

Ascendant

I actually think Rift monetization isn't remotely close to the worst.

Many people in high end guilds running around in end tier **** playing completely free...

Personally I have never felt pressured into paying for anything... even patrons for all it's usefulness and the affinity points fluffs I still doubt there are more than 20% players running around with it with cash or rex driven patron status.

But I know it's 2016, company wanting to charge for anything more than free is a serious crime against us!

Telaran

I don't get you people. One week you're complaining about the lack of content and updates. The next you're complaining about them monetizing something to pay for said content and updates. Please,Please,Please, decide which one you want and stay there.

Until they start charging for raids and dungeons you won't see me get my panties in a wad. Because at the moment you could technically still raid and do dungeons without earrings and planewalker gear.
    Last edited by Dakkan; 01-27-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkan View Post
    I don't get you people. One week you're complaining about the lack of content and updates. The next you're complaining about them monetizing something to pay for said content and updates. Please,Please,Please, decide which one you want and stay there.
    I want polished and fun content, and I would happily pay for it. I did so in the past, when Rift was still Pay2Play. No polished and fun content - no pay. Now what is so hard to understand about that?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    I want polished and fun content, and I would happily pay for it. I did so in the past, when Rift was still Pay2Play. No polished and fun content - no pay. Now what is so hard to understand about that?
    That's so stupid I laughed. That's like telling the government NO YOU CANT TAKE MY TAXES TO FIX THIS ROAD BECAUSE THE ROAD HAS POTHOLES. Realistically, they need to generate funds to invest on Rift. Now if they don't do that, then I understand the pitchforks. Obviously, at the moment their track record for NT isn't very good. But if that's ever going to be changed it will require time AND money. So them finding ways to increase the latter is perfectly fine for me. Especially when I've already invested in this game.

What gets me is that everyone is up in arms about this but I'll bet 99.9% of everyone complaining already has their slots and planewalker. Stop crying wolf everyone. And wait to get your panties in a wad when they make a change that actually affects you.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I think you may have your threads in a twist and not your panties....
    The other thread is about ear rings and planewalkers
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-27-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I think you may have your threads in a twist and not your panties....
    The other thread is about ear rings and planewalkers
    Good edit :P. And no not really. The original post dislikes paywalls and the current earring slot and planewalker. Clearly, Trion is doing what it has to do to continue generating revenue. I'm all for anything suggested above as long as it continues to enhance the RIFT experience. And as I previously said, until the Paywall becomes content related, regarding raids, pvp instances, and dungeons. Then there's little in my opinion to complain about.
    Last edited by Dakkan; 01-27-2016 at 07:49 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkan View Post
    Good edit :P.
    Lol wasn't sure if you would understand what I meant. This has been a good discussion about a few things and was posted before the other thread and is not just about money but also RNG and Affinity etc. So it would be great for this to continue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast