+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Returning Players Guide

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Returning Players Guide

Reunions are such happy times, and we're glad to see you're interested in returning to RIFT. One can never have too many Ascended about to deal with all these planar enemies...

Check out the video by Seatin below, and welcome back!

Still have questions? Check out the Game Guide or ask your fellow Ascended.
    Last edited by BrandGuru; 01-22-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Shadowlander

Default Old

This video is from octomber 2015...New one is needed.

Shadowlander

Question Potentially Returning Player Question

I haven't played in a few years but i was thinking about maybe trying the game again, since i haven't found another mmo to stick with but i have to ask an honest question, hoping i get an honest and *accurate* answer - Is healing still broken in PvP?

As much as i enjoy PvE in general and as much as rift excels at it, PvP is still a major part of gaming for me, theres only one thing better than playing against AI and the same fight over an over, and thats real intelligence where anything can and will happen.

At the very least its great to blow off steam and have fun etc after tier 2 or 3 raiding.

The thing is though, is i remember when healing was so broken in PvP that it was literally PvHealer. Literally. There would be games where 2 healers that knew what they were doing could AFK run in circles while keeping their entire team fully healed including themselves while maybe 5 players are trying to DPS them to death. CC etc on them to disrupt them included, and nothing happened for minutes straight and maybe the entire game....

I had games where you find an awesome smaller skirmish in the battleground on a side objective and maybe have an awesome 1v1 or 1v2 but a healer comes along and instantly that side wins, the other 1 or 2 are instantly healed full and are invincible until you go down or vice versa on your side.

I had games where me and half the rest of the team were DPS'ing a healer for a good minute or 2 straight and same on their side and nothing happened. It was just AFK rotation practice. Seriously.

Not even to mention the fact that if the healer numbers were unbalanced on either team. It decided the outcome of the game 90% of the time, after having to of course have a few keyboard smashing minutes of DPS'ing healers with absolutely nothing else happening.

It, was, insane. I had never and still have never seen healing made so amazingly broken in PvP before, to the point where again it literally is not PvP but PvH(ealer)

It was that bad and that often that it became the biggest reason i ultimately left the game. Again, even though the PvE was awesome.

So is it still this way? Mostly i guess end game where everything is focused and worked on these days, to get the most accurate idea.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by whiskiz; 06-16-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

Updated guide here: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ing-guide.html

As far as PvP goes you may want to take a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/GrimGamingRift/videos although the general consensus is that PvP has gone down the toilet in Rift for a long time. I particular haven't cared for it myself since the first year or two in vanilla, but that's just me so it's best to do some research. The information is out there if you're interested enough to look for it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Updated guide here: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ing-guide.html

As far as PvP goes you may want to take a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/GrimGamingRift/videos although the general consensus is that PvP has gone down the toilet in Rift for a long time. I particular haven't cared for it myself since the first year or two in vanilla, but that's just me so it's best to do some research. The information is out there if you're interested enough to look for it.
    KK cheers man, i know exactly why it would have gone down the toilet. I figured the best source of info on it would be current players instead of looking up potentially old info.

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

Just check the dates on any discussion guides. It hasn't really changed much in the last 4-6 months except maybe with some changes to healing or bolstering. There's a livestream this friday and which they'll be discussing some more changes so keep your eyes peeled for that as well.

Default Returning after several years

I came back to Rift this weekend and love how its set up now, from the 64 bit to the new features. Created new characters to see whats new over all. Glad to be back!
    Hillary for Treason 2017!

Soulwalker

when it will be starfall profecy content f2p?

Quote Originally Posted by KopTeC View Post
    when it will be starfall profecy content f2p?
    Probably never or after several expansions pass and the content is obsolete.
    Last edited by Artewig; 11-26-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    R.I.P.

Soulwalker

Default ha

i would suggest to players returning to not even bother! we basically got a live beta that we all payed for. bugs,disabled content, hell most the quests are so sketchy. if anything i would like a refund for this "expansion"! get to lvl 70 (which there is not enough exp for unless you use potions) then your options are either spamming the 2 (YES 2 NEW DUNGEONS! LOL) and doing PAA....great game design there guys! rift used to be awesome, now its a ****fest of farming rng fragments with nothing to raid....nobody does rifts outside anymore, no rewards, theres no carrot on the stick. also when u get to 70 and get the rep u need all the stuff is lvl 67?! what the **** is that about?! a really really really bad "expansion" trion you ****ed up, alot. and before you start *****ing you forum loving fanboys, go play it yourself and you will see! really a joke and i will be looking to get my money back!.

Shadowlander

not wotrh returning except if you like to grind for RNG Fragments and spend all your plats in a day doiing this
    Last edited by Maetha; 12-05-2016 at 03:12 AM.

Shame I am seriously considering coming back.

Telaran

Default Don't

Guide for returning players.... Don't. Just don't.

Soulwalker

I never played a game that did not have issues. They are made by humans and humans are not perfect. ;)

However, I am enjoying this game despite the "features" (it's what some of us jokingly call bugs in games that never go away). I would go with the free to play version and see if you like the mechanics. Try to find a group to play with though the guild finder is by quantity not by activity. And then see where it goes. Either you like it or you don't. You won't know until you try.

I was a returning player a few months ago and what I did to help returning and new players was make a new toon and start from scratch. I wrote an article based on what you would encounter in the first 10 levels. At least this helped quite a few people new and returning get the basics figured out.

There are a lot of us that came back for Starfall Prophecy, but also brought friends that wanted to try playing the free version. This game is still alive.

Default I'm sorry for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Briseadh View Post
    There are a lot of us that came back for Starfall Prophecy, but also brought friends that wanted to try playing the free version. This game is still alive.
    That is a thing that's keeping the game "alive". New expansion always brings fresh peoople. Every single one of them that says the game is great are those still playing through the previous expansion. Sad reality is that once you reach 65 you run into a wall called Starfall Prophecy.

That is where things start to become interesting. You came to the place you wanted to be from the first moment you stepped in the game. You start to climb. When you reach the top you see a beautifull landscape, a beautifull story that makes you want to jump into it right away. But you don't notice spikes at the bottom that await you. You are going to fall down and it's going to hurt. From there you'll see a bloody trail of all your fellow ascended that took the leap before you. You might even see some bodies of few old people that passed away just recently. Those are the ones that have been in this game way longer than you and they took the bait as well. Then you'll notice that you are weak and that you need earings to help you with some more stats, but those are on the other side of the wall and not too many people are going back to gather what's needed for them and they cost a lot... Anyway you move on and all you see are broken things, unbalanced and dead, and even another invisible wall blocking you from an entire zone. No matter how much you try you can't get in. Soon you fall in despair...

Sadly that's what Rift is all about right now.

I'm sorry for this graphical description of the chaos that the expansion is but that's the bitter reality. Don't delude yourselves. Rift is not the same as it was before. Nightmares took everything away...

Just look through the forums and read what elder players say and you will know everything.

TL;DR Just walk away. Don't waste your money in vain...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast