+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Should we have a "Proving Ground" ?

Default Should we have a "Proving Ground" ?

Here's some horror stories from the LFG queue:

-I'm healing a citadel of insanity and our tank dies to every single hydroburst that is cast by the trash. I tell him that he's gotta interrupt the blue casts in order to prevent this from happening. He continues to die. I ask him what's up and he says "I'm looking at my hotbars to turn blue so that I know when to interrupt, but it's just not happening." So I tell him that he has to look at the mob he's targeting to see the cast bar above its head. This tank is 136k and level 65. He didn't know how to interrupt, or even what to look for.

-I'm in a nightmare coast and a cleric is druid with a faerie pet and is pulling 3k dps on the parse. The druid says "I love Wendy (wendy's the name of his pet), and I'm doing 20k dps besides." (he had just hit the boss for one ability that did 20k to it. The cleric doesn't understand how dps works. The physician is outdpsing him).

-A MM is pulling 10k dps in an Empyrean core on the hard-hitting trash. I tell him to go to an aoe spec. He says "I am in an aoe spec." (his damage breakdown is as follows: Chain destruction (100%)). The rogue doesn't understand that multiple specs are often required in a dungeon

It's clear the tutorials in the game are not adequate to teach new players how to play the game properly. In experts, I am seeing damage-dealers consistently unable to do both a single target spec and an aoe one, and are getting outparsed by tanks. I see healers unable to cleanse and people who insist on playing support unable to purge.

Now before you jump on me to tell me that I should just queue with my guild, these are EXPERT dungeons. Expert implies some sort of mastery of one's class or at least mechanics. Nobody has fun in these slow, painful slogs, including the under-performing players. They just don't understand the game enough, or are so used to getting carried they don't bother learning how to play their class properly.

What I think this game needs is some sort of proving grounds that only takes 5 minutes to complete per role before you can queue as that role. It should be a soloable tiny instance that involves meeting a bare minimum of performance requirements.

-DPS should be able to sustain 20k over 1 min on a dummy, then 50-60k sustained to 8 mobs, then be able to interrupt one cast.

-Tanks should be able to sustain aggro on one mob, then 5 mobs, for up to a minute. They should also be required to be able to interrupt a cast.

- Healers should be able to sustain the life of a tank-specced NPC for up to a minute, then be able to cleanse a dot.

-Support: ????? It's not really necessary in NTEs.

Once you're able to do this extremely basic tutorial, then you can queue as that role in an expert. Other games have proving ground requirements and it improves the quality of life of everyone. Nobody has fun being berated, and nobody has fun having to carry and handhold throughout a dungeon.

This sounds basic, but I'm seeing players in the LFG queue who have never been asked to learn how their class works, and it's happening often enough to make me believe that the in-game tutorial system is not adequate. Maybe if we have more people who have HAD to learn the basics of the game, it would also improve the PvP experience as well. If the game made everybody individually able to carry their own weight it would go a long way towards reducing frustrations across the board.

Anyways, just throwing ideas out there. Thoughts?

+1

/10chars
    ~Xclusive
    ~Ominous

Horror stories made me smile (I feel sorry for anyone who came across such things tho).

Not sure about the aoe proving tho, but everything else looks neat, +1 to you.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Phs

That Trion post purging though.

my other comment was basically copying a comment from a linked video

"[can't reference other games] is a casual filter. I honestly don't care that they don't get to play with me because I don't want to play with them. In random content, dead weight simply shouldn't be tolerated and if you are unable or just unwilling to learn and get better, then I don't understand why you'd even play this game."

and going on to reply about the potential of paying Patrons who can't get through the proving ground. With a oh no, they can go be patron elsewhere if they can't be bothered to learn the game.
    Last edited by Phs; 12-29-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Rift Disciple

One rule id like to add (goes with your cleric story)

If you play a pet class NO tank pets aloud. I hate seeing Pigs in dungeons. I had one ranger tell me all he had was a pig but had Animalisim.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Great idea and Trion should let us build these 5 min proving grounds!

*bright headache free grin for Archonix Vladd Morticus Anony Icarus Tacitus Espiry Krug Marigold & Gingers
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-29-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Great idea and Trion should let us build these 5 min proving grounds!

*bright headache free grin for Archonix, Vladd Morticus Anony Icarus Tacitus Espiry Krug Marigold Gingers and Anony*
    That's a great idea to bring dimensioneers into all this! Have some sort of proving ground contest.

Also, @Laeti, all those stories are from personal experience. I'm sure everyone's got tales to tell.
    Last edited by Liandell; 12-29-2015 at 03:14 PM.

this

ever wonder y nowadays ppl ask for T3 hits for NTEs?

btw druid > all
    ChinaPandaMan@Laethys <Trinity> twitch.tv/chinapandaman

Quote Originally Posted by Liandell View Post
    Also, @Laeti, all those stories are from personal experience. I'm sure everyone's got tales to tell.
    Funny enough I just ran into a whole grp of people not having a slightest idea what to do in an NTE and I was heals. Twice. I think your post triggered my bad luck lol, but on a serious note, even a proving ground can't take away people's laziness. You can pull out decent dps and "pass" but not knowing the mechanics will still get you wiped. Sad but true. I don't really know how to check this if people say they know it and then you witness the opposite.

Wasted time and now I'm grumpy.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Rift Chaser

I queued as tank, got empyrean core.

I was top Dps.

I just shook my head and thanked my lucky stars that the healer could heal for those long *** fights...

He and I were just laughing the entire time.
    Pakolu, The Squirrel.
    <Old Farts>, Wolvesbane (I refuse to spell it wrong.)

Soulwalker

Default dps

Many, many casual players are clueless in regard to dps and do not use a combat meter so they think they are doing good dps... they just don't have a basis for comparison.

I do think an in game combat meter would be of help, even something simple to track the basics of the last fight. If it was easily accessible some would have the curiosity to see where they stand.

Shae

RIFT Guide Writer

You ever play Secret World? Their dungeons had a proving ground and those were pretty fun. The DPS one had the player dodging red while keeping up their rotation for X amount of DPS, target swapping to burn down adds before they reached the boss to explode, as well as run in/out mechanics, and, iirc, an interrupt check.

Tanks had to keep aggro off an NPC that's doing a DPS rotation and another NPC acting as healer. The boss would do unavoidable spike damage to teach players how to CD as well as spawn adds that would gun for the healer/DPS so the tank got practice in grabbing multiple adds around the room.

Basically, fun times.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shaeriel View Post
    Many, many casual players are clueless in regard to dps and do not use a combat meter so they think they are doing good dps... they just don't have a basis for comparison.

I do think an in game combat meter would be of help, even something simple to track the basics of the last fight. If it was easily accessible some would have the curiosity to see where they stand.

Shae
    Step 1.Google "RIFT DPS meter".

5 first result.
    Download link for Rift Count. A DPS meter.
    List of top add-ons for RIFT. Top 10 has Rift Meter and Simple Meter.
    General add-on page.
    Rift Count info page.
    Simple Meter info Page.
    A thread on these forums asking for DPS meters. Specificlly ones that have a large detailed history and gets linked to Super Meter and ACT. ACT being the hot **** for the hardcore.

And more and more results for meters. Also "How do I see how much damage I'm doing in RIFT" would lead you the the same information within like 1-2 more minutes.

Step 2. Download the zip file for one of them.

Step 3. Put it in the folder (which you can have RIFT open for you so you don't even need to figure out where it is).

Step 4 Extract.

Step 5 Turn it on.

If that's not easily accessible, I don't know what is. Getting it only requires WANTING it.

Devoting resources towards making a feature complete DPS meter was pointless when player already proved they were willing to make the effort to do it themselves. So they just gave out the tools to do so with the Add-On API. And great things came from it. Like Roles. I ****ing love Roles.
    Last edited by Repster; 12-29-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Liandell View Post
    That's a great idea to bring dimensioneers into all this! Have some sort of proving ground contest.
    Yes let us build the world - give us planes, themes, seasons or events OR even a picture of the boss or mobs with criteria in advance for us to build for that Devs can put in once they choose the winning dimension/s.

....trying to think of a more suitable name.

Rift Disciple

I think most of those "underperforming" players are fairly new to the MMO genre.

And thats where the problem starts:

I'm sure they would use a DPS/HPS Meter if they would know/understand what DPS/HPS IS.
    Most of them are not familiar with MMO-slang, sure there is even a wikipedia-article explaining the most common terms, but to find this sort of information you have to know that you're MISSING some information.

I do like the idea of some sort of proving ground but why stop by teaching players the bare basics.
    A short explaination about DPS and HPS and how to mesure it would be cool too.
    Maybe even a link to the official forum with a beginners guide, and a link to the class forum of their class.

The biggest problem i could see there not everyone beeing able to read/understand english ... But this could be solved from the community itself, translating this guide to their native language.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast