+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sparkle Quest inteded for "hardcore" players?

Default Sparkle Quest inteded for "hardcore" players?

I guess it could be argued that "casual" players don't need T3 gear. Maybe the quest is intended for raiders who need a boost up, not for players hoping if they get geared enough the might get to play in reindeer raids.

My question for the devs, how many hours of gameplay do they expect it to take to gather 500 sparkles? Keeping in mind casual players probably don't have the gear, "chieves" or dps rating to get invited into the quick NTE groups, or probably even most NTE groups. When hardcore players are in a hurry to knock out those sparkles, they don't have time to carry casual players who don't raid.

If the Sparkle Quest is intended for hardcore players, for those players who consistently raid, they should say so. Something along the lines of "Hey guys, we know that a lot of players don't have the time and expertise to meet the quest within the planned timeline, and that's working as intended. Please enjoy the rest of the casual-friendly activities for Fae Yule."

If that's not their intention, and maybe it slipped their mind that most players can't play hours per day especially in the holiday season, I have some suggestions - note that I don't really intend all of these to be combined in concert, but as several different options to be pursued:

1) Apply the patron bonus to sparkles. The Affinity system got me to sign back up for patron for now, to see how it pans out, but applying the bonus to sparkles would definitely make me feel more appreciated as a customer, and would probably get a lot of people to at least get patron for a month (and once they see the benefits...)

2) Up the PVE payouts. I've seen complaints regarding the influx of casuals into warfronts in an attempt to earn sparkles. Have rifts that grant experience drop 1 sparkle. Have Nightmare and IA boxes drop 1 sparkle. Have all weeklies drop a medium cache (4 sparkles). Don't push the carebears into warfronts and conquest. They don't enjoy it, and the PvPers don't enjoy it.

3) Make sparkle caches purchaseable with snowflakes.

Or you can just say "yeah, we realize not everyone can devote 40 hours a week to a game... this is for those that can."

2)

Quote Originally Posted by Qillyu View Post
    I guess it could be argued that "casual" players don't need T3 gear. Maybe the quest is intended for raiders who need a boost up, not for players hoping if they get geared enough the might get to play in reindeer raids.

My question for the devs, how many hours of gameplay do they expect it to take to gather 500 sparkles? Keeping in mind casual players probably don't have the gear, "chieves" or dps rating to get invited into the quick NTE groups, or probably even most NTE groups. When hardcore players are in a hurry to knock out those sparkles, they don't have time to carry casual players who don't raid.

If the Sparkle Quest is intended for hardcore players, for those players who consistently raid, they should say so. Something along the lines of "Hey guys, we know that a lot of players don't have the time and expertise to meet the quest within the planned timeline, and that's working as intended. Please enjoy the rest of the casual-friendly activities for Fae Yule."

If that's not their intention, and maybe it slipped their mind that most players can't play hours per day especially in the holiday season, I have some suggestions - note that I don't really intend all of these to be combined in concert, but as several different options to be pursued:

1) Apply the patron bonus to sparkles. The Affinity system got me to sign back up for patron for now, to see how it pans out, but applying the bonus to sparkles would definitely make me feel more appreciated as a customer, and would probably get a lot of people to at least get patron for a month (and once they see the benefits...)

2) Up the PVE payouts. I've seen complaints regarding the influx of casuals into warfronts in an attempt to earn sparkles. Have rifts that grant experience drop 1 sparkle. Have Nightmare and IA boxes drop 1 sparkle. Have all weeklies drop a medium cache (4 sparkles). Don't push the carebears into warfronts and conquest. They don't enjoy it, and the PvPers don't enjoy it.

Or you can just say "yeah, we realize not everyone can devote 40 hours a week to a game... this is for those that can."

2)
    I've posted in a couple of these threads now and you're patron so that makes it easy.

So if you do 10 dungeons a week and 10 warfronts a week, that will give you 120 sparkles a week or 480 sparkles during the whole event. So if a warfront win and dungeon completion takes you 1 hour, that's 10 hours a week. Or a little more than an hour a day.

I'd say that is more than reasonable and doesn't need any changes. Short of 10 warfronts and 10 dungeons a week and it's basically a handout.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Champion of Telara

You need to do a whole lot more then 10 warfronts to get the 60 sparkles in your equation. Firstly, you only get one at charge a day, so the most sparkles you can get from those wins is 42. Remaining wins will give you 2 each, so you need an additional 9 wins. So basically 16 wins a week. If you average a 50% win rate (which most don't) you are looking at a minimum of 32 attempts, or 4-5 a day.
    Experts are only one charge per day I believe, so in 7 day you would have 42. Not sure how many additional sparkles you get once your charges run out, but if it's 2, then you would need an additional 9 experts a week to come up to 60 sparkles, or 4-5 experts a day.
    At least there are other sources, such as zone events.
    So no, this was not meant for the casual, log on for 1 hour a day player.
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by SmidgesToe View Post
    You need to do a whole lot more then 10 warfronts to get the 60 sparkles in your equation. Firstly, you only get one at charge a day, so the most sparkles you can get from those wins is 42. Remaining wins will give you 2 each, so you need an additional 9 wins. So basically 16 wins a week. If you average a 50% win rate (which most don't) you are looking at a minimum of 32 attempts, or 4-5 a day.
    Experts are only one charge per day I believe, so in 7 day you would have 42. Not sure how many additional sparkles you get once your charges run out, but if it's 2, then you would need an additional 9 experts a week to come up to 60 sparkles, or 4-5 experts a day.
    At least there are other sources, such as zone events.
    So no, this was not meant for the casual, log on for 1 hour a day player.
    They said they were patron so they get 10 charges a week. I estimated 30 minutes for a dungeon and 30 minutes for 1 warfront win. That's 10 hours a week for 120 sparkles. That leaves you with 20 sparkles to get from other sources. I still say that is more than reasonable for a large portion of those playing Rift. It's not meant for everyone, but it certainly isn't exclusive to the hardcore.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

casual players probably don't have the gear, "chieves" or dps rating to get invited into the quick NTE groups, or probably even most NTE groups. When hardcore players are in a hurry to knock out those sparkles, they don't have time to carry casual players who don't raid.
    What in the world happened to LFG tab (because really - it was there just an hour ago when I last used it), and do all experts require people to link their chieves in group chat so that hardcore raiders could decide whom to kick? I must be doing something wrong.

I'm not sure if we play the same game, but in Rift you don't need a group invite to run a dungeon, you only need to press one button. Also, people don't stand there not letting you in unless you link your dungeon chieves, they just rush in and kill stuff. If you don't know the fights or forgot something, those evil 'hardcore' players might even take a minute to explain it to you.

Now if you're not geared enough to even enter an NTE, I'm not really sure why you would need the sparkle trove at all.

I'm saying this as a horribly casual player, who has never even been in a raid (if soloing vanilla and wiping on 1st RoF once doesn't count), and who certainly doesn't devote all the time in game to hardcoring through content. Finishing your usual weeklies in a week's time isn't hardcore. Doing some additional stuff here and there to get a bit more sparkles isn't hardcore either.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

As a player who is far from hardcore, I've already got 176/500 sparkles.

After I got my 10 Warfront and 10 Expert charges out of the way, it's trivial to win a single warfront and clear a single expert every day. Not to mention IA sparkles from the weekly, which takes like a maximum of 2 hours. I could mentor down for zone events in the old world if I really felt like it too, and add a few more sparkles.

The hardest part of this is arguably getting a warfront win, but even that is trivial if you do it early in the morning.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

10 Warfront/NTE charges + 5 easy raid rifts a week = "very hardcore"

You should change your complaint to: Sparkle Quest intended for "hardcore" players if you want it done in the span of one week instead of one month.
    Serale@Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
    10 Warfront/NTE charges + 5 easy raid rifts a week = "very hardcore"

You should change your complaint to: Sparkle Quest intended for "hardcore" players if you want it done in the span of one week instead of one month.
    I don't even do raid rifts
    Not once I swear

And I'm at like 120 or 130 sparkles now, not sure. Haven't even finished all the sparkle weeklies lol. If this isn't casual then I don't know what is.

Plane Walker

You said "carry casual players"

and yes I don't like carrying any sort of bad/undergeared players, so when i spam NTE's i go for my guildies and then require 1200+ hit. Dont like it? gear up! My right to invite who I want to my group, just like it's your right to complain about what I'm doing!

Experts really aren't too bad. The quest itself seems a little daunting when you are on a losing streak in WF's and have but a few sparkles to your name but really it soon mounts up. Expert queues can be a little long if solo, but during that time there's usually plenty of events up to tag. If you have patron or a tracking vial then unstable events are a good quick source of getting sparkles, if not then just go for the standard invasions. When you do get in the expert generally people don't start checking gear unless DPS is so low that bosses can't be killed or if someone's obliterating trash in 2 GCD's. The people advertising for fast runs and exceptional gear are not the majority of people actually doing experts, they are just the ones you see in chat.
    New players feel free to use this code for free stuff!
    NJY2ML7PDHKELDM3MKZW

can we make it easier anyway so I can do it more than once? loot plz (but seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    I don't even do raid rifts
    Not once I swear

And I'm at like 120 or 130 sparkles now, not sure. Haven't even finished all the sparkle weeklies lol. If this isn't casual then I don't know what is.
    But.... raid rifts are kinda fun... :c
    Serale@Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
    But.... raid rifts are kinda fun... :c
    But that would mean I'll have to spend time with... you know... people!
    And all this looking for channel announcements and asking for invites... too hardcore for me. I mean I don't even have chieves. Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    But that would mean I'll have to spend time with... you know... people!
    And all this looking for channel announcements and asking for invites... too hardcore for me. I mean I don't even have chieves. Nah.
    When I do them and you're on, I'm soooo ninja inviting you to one ;)

Be afraid... be very afraid.
    Serale@Faeblight

Rift Chaser

2)
    I'll help ya out.

Step 1. Pick up quest.
    Step 2. Do content you enjoy.
    Step 3. If you complete the quest by some accident YaY!
    Step 4. If you don't.....oh well.

By my calculations.....it would take me 62.5 weeks to complete this quest. I won't go out of may way to do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast