+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: When are you going to fix Planar Fishing?

Default When are you going to fix Planar Fishing?

Since you took away the ability to get motes from using the planar poles alone, this has killed that way of getting the motes & epic for me & many others.
    Using a lure on the pole is a waste of time and mote, as its very rare to get the mote back let alone get enough motes to make anything with. I used to love fishing and getting a chance at motes & the rare epic.
    You said you were going to look into this again...but we are still waiting.

I spent alot of time getting the marks to buy each pole & lure, then getting enough plat to buy the epic to make the pole, what a kick in the teeth from Rift.
    Crafting rifts are boring, they havent changed since we used them in Shimmersand (but at least there we had alot of rifts to open near each other) & i still havent got many motes doing 10+ at a time.

The above screenshot was taken a few minutes ago on the EU shards.

If each of those casts were done with a rod that had a chance of reeling in planar motes without the need for a lure people (or fish bots more likely) doing this amount of fishing would get lots and lots of them, thereby skewing the in-game economy.

It's for the same reason that they recently made the most common fish from NT areas only vendor for 1s each, i.e. to reduce the profits that fish-botters were making by fishing for hours and just vendoring their catches.

All of this is treating the symptoms, rather than the root cause, which is the people that bot this stuff in the first place. At the end of the reset, the figures for number of successful fishing casts and/or butchery are off the scale for a handful of people, some to the extent where if you figure out how long they'd have to spend doing so, they'd either have to be sharing an account and working in shifts, or not be able to move from their PCs long enough to eat / drink / go to the toilet / sleep / et cetera.

Shadowlander

There has be another way to control motes though that still rewards legit fishers and bots can't exploit.

Like a 20h crafting CD that makes a batch of motes, uses a new crafting material(soulbound) that can only be fished up with planar poles.

Sure a bot could still fish up a ridiculous amount of the crafting material, but it won't drastically affect the market as the motes will be be on 20h CD.

Just a random thought after glancing at this thread, might not be doable and might not work even if it could be done, but there has to be something.

Shadowlander

The amount of time it takes to fish up the necessary fish for Stan's lure + plat for the items to make it... ugh.

My rep's are all maxed, getting artifacts is annoying (over 1k sets already), the minions/wardrobe sets already have them all. All I want is the good dimension items. 10-20 plat per day + mats = crap.

Next up is the Planar lure/pole. I have 2 sets, life and earth. I "usually" get back my mote. Most times that's ALL I get. I'd love to make some of the new dimension items with the motes... but at this rate it'll be a stalemate indefinitely. That's with doing 20+ crafting rifts per week.

Very frustrating.

Fact is there is very little that a "legit" fisher can do that a fish bot cannot. If they aren't willing to eliminate the characters pulling up 30k fish a week, their only other option is to remove valuable rewards from fishing.
    I'm ya boss baby, crank it like a chainsaw
    Rogue Moses of <Coriolis>
    "Everyone do their crafting dailies today?"
    Feed our Turtles, upload your combat logs!

Quote Originally Posted by Alystria View Post
    The amount of time it takes to fish up the necessary fish for Stan's lure + plat for the items to make it... ugh.

My rep's are all maxed, getting artifacts is annoying (over 1k sets already), the minions/wardrobe sets already have them all. All I want is the good dimension items. 10-20 plat per day + mats = crap.
    Just FYI if your fishing is maxed (which I assume would be since you have the lure and planar stuff), and if you don't want to waste time trying to fish Stan's lure fishies, you can make remora\manta lures, they only require merpho\dreamleech and those cost next to nothing on AH (in case you don't have any from minions or fishing). This would save you both time and money to make Stan's lures, and won't cost you anything (few gold\silver coins tops).
    Last edited by Laeti; 12-06-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    If each of those casts were done with a rod that had a chance of reeling in planar motes without the need for a lure people (or fish bots more likely) doing this amount of fishing would get lots and lots of them, thereby skewing the in-game economy.
    BAH, not this again... Botters would be easy to deal with in many different ways, but for this particular issue it's even easier by just making the fished planar stuff BOA. That could have been a great hotfix replacing the one we got until better ideas emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasa View Post
    BAH, not this again... Botters would be easy to deal with in many different ways, but for this particular issue it's even easier by just making the fished planar stuff BOA. That could have been a great hotfix replacing the one we got until better ideas emerge.
    That alone would not fix the issues as the botters would just fish for BOA terrene motes and then make planar dream orbs with them and sell the orbs instead of the motes.

Not to mention it will also punish fishers together with botters

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Not to mention it will also punish fishers together with botters
    Seeing how they reduced the vendor price for normal fish to 1 silver I get the feeling they do not care that much about the legit fishers...

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    Seeing how they reduced the vendor price for normal fish to 1 silver I get the feeling they do not care that much about the legit fishers...
    It's difficult to make everyone happy, I'd even say impossible. But with normal fish - I doubt fishers made some really good money from vendoring it, or even selling on AH. Even if you fish for hours, vendoring unused merphos\dreamleeches is still a crappy reward for the trouble.

What's worse is that since lots of botters quit doing their thing after this change, green fish has been selling for ridiculous prices.

I'm not saying it's the only way or that the change is good, but it's at least something.

Shadowlander

Default Remove the mote needed for the planar lure recipe

Why not just remove the mote from the recipe entirely? Then we don't have worry losing a mote.

And I agree, the crifts get boring and getting smoochers who don't provide a lure, sucks. There are times I do not feel like teaming with folks cause I've done it all day long and just want to be alone and fish. Is that wrong to want to be alone?

Soulwalker

Lightbulb

Here's a suggestion on how to fix planar poles:

When you catch a mote, that should actually spawn an elite mob that will drop the mote as loot. You'd basically be abducting planar beings from their plane and robbing them, which might not conceptually be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it should make it much more challenging to bot planar fishing.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PaperMachete View Post
    Here's a suggestion on how to fix planar poles:

When you catch a mote, that should actually spawn an elite mob that will drop the mote as loot. You'd basically be abducting planar beings from their plane and robbing them, which might not conceptually be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it should make it much more challenging to bot planar fishing.

Any thoughts?
    No idea if this is even possible, but if it is, the 'elite' part will enrage lots of somewhat undergeared peoples. Not everyone is concentrated on gearing up, upgrading etc. An elite mob some average geared player can handle would be a pita for someone who doesn't care about gearing up at all. Considering lots of fishers are dimensioneers, and lots of dimensioneers don't care about gearing up or progression - such change would definitely make it even worse for them.

(not speaking for others here, just recalling the discussions about Port Scion instanced elites in the dim forums).
    Last edited by Laeti; 12-07-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    the 'elite' part will enrage lots of somewhat undergeared peoples.
    They could make it a regular one, as long as it has a good chance of killing a decently geared character that's just standing there and auto-attacking. The point is to make the process just difficult enough to automate.

Of course you can macro auto-targeting the closest thing and spamming a single attack if you take damage to get past that, but that'll require a more complex bot. They could still discourage that by making the mob slightly stronger than a regular one, so someone has to be present and paying attention to defeat it. That's also the reason I used an elite mob in my initial example, though a tweaked regular one would probably also work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast