+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree13Likes
  • 8 Post By Seshatar
  • 1 Post By Samuraiko
  • 1 Post By Twinmoon
  • 2 Post By Genshiken
  • 1 Post By Mordrahan

Thread: Recapture of Port Scion – The return of open world PvP

  1. #1
    Ascendant Seshatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,265

    Default Recapture of Port Scion – The return of open world PvP

    Well, I had a weird idea last night when I was nearly asleep and wanted to share it with you:



    Lore introduction:

    Since the return of the Bloodstorm the leaders of the Guardians and Defiants forged a provisional alliance to make stand against the greater danger of the planes. But not everyone agreed with this choice and resentment grew in the hearts of those that fully identified with their faction. Now that Mathosia is not the main focus anymore, Defiant commander Xenia Rezar and Guardian lieutenant Aviron Telemar are leading troops on their own to recapture the fallen Port Scion - and none of them is willing to share with his opponent.



    What is the ‘Recapture of Port Scion’?

    ‘Recapture of Port Scion’ is a shard-wide open world PvP event that resets once per week. It starts with both factions gathering troops to recapture (the currently locked/unused) Port Scion zone from the Endless Court. There are multiple open world raid bosses to defeat and strategic points to capture while always fighting against both the Endless Court and the opposing faction. After the Endless Court is defeated, the faction that is first able to hold at least 66% of all strategic points for 30 minutes gains control over Port Scion.



    What happens when a faction gets control over Port Scion?

    There will be Elite NPC of that faction spawning in the city, collection quests, as well as everything else a major city usually includes (banks, auction house, crafting stations, etc.). Members of that faction will also be able to use the porticulum in Port Scion.



    What are the rewards for gaining control over Port Scion?

    The faction that controls Port Scion will gain a basic buff granting +10% XP, +10% notoriety and +5% currency. This buff only works for members of that faction that are resident on that shard. A second buff will allow you to receive source fragments from mining, harvesting, butchering and fishing.



    What else can you do in Port Scion after gaining control over it?

    There will be collection quests you can turn your source fragments in. With those you can upgrade certain machines (Defiant) or altars (Guardian) to receive additional buffs, i. e. faster riding and run speed, instant-mounting, underwater breath etc. These buffs you need to pick up at the machines/altars, last for 60 minutes and only work in open world (not in any kind of instances like raids, dungeons, warfronts, conquest, intrepid IAs etc.). You can also use your source fragments to activate/upgrade certain defense mechanisms.



    What happens to the opposing faction?

    The opposing faction can always attack Port Scion and try to recapture it again. Each hour of control will cause the opposing faction to get 1 stack of 'Wish of Vengeance' buff, increasing all stats for 5% ONLY in Port Scion zone. Up to 5 stacks. So over time it gets easier to kick the other faction out of Port Scion.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

    <Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

    IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

  2. #2
    Ascendant Samuraiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Filming on the Internet
    Posts
    2,355

    Default

    Reminds me a bit of taking control of Recluse's Victory in City of Heroes...

    Still, I think it's a neat concept, since I love the idea of retaking Port Scion from the Endless Court.

    TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

  3. #3
    Thread of Fate Twinmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    368

    Default

    I can't help but feel like this would be Rift's version of Wintergrasp.

    And I absolutely love it.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Narielia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Please this.
    "When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can’t eat money."

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinmoon View Post
    I can't help but feel like this would be Rift's version of Wintergrasp.

    And I absolutely love it.
    Sadly, unless there is some sort of forced balance between the sides, it will just turn into a crap experience for the undermanned faction and will soon be abandoned by the undermanned faction (just like wintergrasp...their buff with 20 stacks they tried failed miserably when you are not immune to cc).

    While it is a nice idea and fun when balanced...the problem would be in keeping it balanced.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Meteorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,595

    Default

    Does anyone remember PvP rifts? Winning one of those gave your entire faction a small buff (+10 to all stats if I remember rightly) until and unless the opposition faction won a PvP rift. Not sure what other shards were like but the one I was on, this was pretty much considered a defiant-only buff as the guardians so infrequently held it. This idea, whilst it sounds cool, is doomed to fail for precisely the same reason, i.e. most shards are much more populated with one faction than the other.

    Also, as guilds can now contain Guardians and Defiants, this would lead to some of your guildmates getting more marks than others for killing the same raid bosses with each other. Not a good way to engender cross-faction entente in-guild.
    Last edited by Meteorblade; 12-03-2015 at 05:38 PM.

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara Mordrahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    Also, as guilds can now contain Guardians and Defiants, this would lead to some of your guildmates getting more marks than others for killing the same raid bosses with each other. Not a good way to engender cross-faction entente in-guild.
    I like the concept, but the currency bonus is a bad idea. I agree with you but not for the same reason.
    We really don't need another PVE bonus in a pvp activity... Let pvp be pvp and pve be pve.
    QOL bonus like mount speed are nice, so is the source fragments idea. Maybe some cosmetic features linked to fragments. Porticulum yes.

    Port Scion is such a beautiful zone, a large open pvp area there should be fun. And make it with breakable walls, like the Biofoundry in Volan event. I would like an assault from the sea. We already have the cannons on the shore
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 12-04-2015 at 01:15 AM.

    Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, ŕ la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

  8. #8
    Plane Touched Mazoga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I love the idea, and it's really stuff like this that's new and interesting that we absolutely need to bring back more enjoyment to pvp, and more to do for them. Thanks for working it out like that. But..

    Quote Originally Posted by Genshiken View Post
    Sadly, unless there is some sort of forced balance between the sides, it will just turn into a crap experience for the undermanned faction and will soon be abandoned by the undermanned faction (just like wintergrasp...their buff with 20 stacks they tried failed miserably when you are not immune to cc).

    While it is a nice idea and fun when balanced...the problem would be in keeping it balanced.
    This. There should be some workaround (either establish mercenary factions that you get assigned to, or some other forced balance) to make sure it's not skewed. Weekly reset also seems a bit overdone. If a faction would lag behind there would be a lot of people giving up. I can already see a big premade jumping in when it starts and securing most of the grounds or something, potentially cheesing a win for that week. It must really be balanced, and I think be more frequent than a week. Though I really like the bonus stats as a reward, think it'd have to be something else.

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    Well, I had a weird idea last night when I was nearly asleep and wanted to share it with you:



    Lore introduction:

    Since the return of the Bloodstorm the leaders of the Guardians and Defiants forged a provisional alliance to make stand against the greater danger of the planes. But not everyone agreed with this choice and resentment grew in the hearts of those that fully identified with their faction. Now that Mathosia is not the main focus anymore, Defiant commander Xenia Rezar and Guardian lieutenant Aviron Telemar are leading troops on their own to recapture the fallen Port Scion - and none of them is willing to share with his opponent.



    What is the ‘Recapture of Port Scion’?

    ‘Recapture of Port Scion’ is a shard-wide open world PvP event that resets once per week. It starts with both factions gathering troops to recapture (the currently locked/unused) Port Scion zone from the Endless Court. There are multiple open world raid bosses to defeat and strategic points to capture while always fighting against both the Endless Court and the opposing faction. After the Endless Court is defeated, the faction that is first able to hold at least 66% of all strategic points for 30 minutes gains control over Port Scion.



    What happens when a faction gets control over Port Scion?

    There will be Elite NPC of that faction spawning in the city, collection quests, as well as everything else a major city usually includes (banks, auction house, crafting stations, etc.). Members of that faction will also be able to use the porticulum in Port Scion.



    What are the rewards for gaining control over Port Scion?

    The faction that controls Port Scion will gain a basic buff granting +10% XP, +10% notoriety and +5% currency. This buff only works for members of that faction that are resident on that shard. A second buff will allow you to receive source fragments from mining, harvesting, butchering and fishing.



    What else can you do in Port Scion after gaining control over it?

    There will be collection quests you can turn your source fragments in. With those you can upgrade certain machines (Defiant) or altars (Guardian) to receive additional buffs, i. e. faster riding and run speed, instant-mounting, underwater breath etc. These buffs you need to pick up at the machines/altars, last for 60 minutes and only work in open world (not in any kind of instances like raids, dungeons, warfronts, conquest, intrepid IAs etc.). You can also use your source fragments to activate/upgrade certain defense mechanisms.



    What happens to the opposing faction?

    The opposing faction can always attack Port Scion and try to recapture it again. Each hour of control will cause the opposing faction to get 1 stack of 'Wish of Vengeance' buff, increasing all stats for 5% ONLY in Port Scion zone. Up to 5 stacks. So over time it gets easier to kick the other faction out of Port Scion.
    I would love this

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I don't even typically PvP except under extreme duress, (I'm looking at you Saga of Lord Arak), but even as a non PvPer, I think I would do this, or at least try it and see how it goes!

    It's a great idea OP, nice job!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts