+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Lore Appreciation - What story do you like?

Default Lore Appreciation - What story do you like?

Hey, I'd like to toss a huge amazement at the rift dev team, even those that may not still be present.

I use to think that there was very little lore outside of artifact collecting, but when I Indulged in my primalist, I decided to slow level through the defiant lore quests, specifically targeting the saga of the endless and uriel/kira's story, because I hadn't leveled through those since the SL changes and I only remembered those two storylines. I was amazed at how in depth the lore actually is, and how each individual zone contributed to the story. I made it to the Perdeen expert rift and through all the kira/uriel quests before hitting SL levels. I even hunted down the Drowning in snow short story to reread (Yes, I remember when that released)
    For those people who complain about lack of lore, I implore you, mentor down and do the old zone quests, you may be pleasantly surprised.

That being said...the shaper storyline still gives me the heeby jeebies. ... kudos whoever wrote that. just kudos
    Uriel + Kira forever This wins my favorite story award.

DST
    Rift Disciple

I've only just finished Eastern Holdings in Brevane and I really like the Brevane story so far (Colonel Dragas for the starting area, Salvarola(sp?) for City Core and East Holdings).

My favorite one, although it was really dark was the Aetleron Arkella storyline. That one left me drained.

My favorite of the Vanilla Rift storylines - Marshall Kain, hands-down. My main is a Mathosian from Stillmoor, and I just loved that entire questline.

But TOTAL favorite... the Extinctions storyline from Draumheim. Oh. My. Gods. I nearly cried when it was over.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

What a nice thread. And you're totally right, there's a lot of great storytelling and immersion to be found if one takes the time to engage it. I was already planning to do the slow-level thing on a new character, cause it's been a while since I first went through the story with my first character. The ones after have been more speed-leveled and aimed at higher level content.

Brevane has a great storyline, though not everything in the Dendrome was to my liking. I guess Kira & Uriel would be one of my favourites as well.

There is some great story in the new nightmare saga as well, though I feel it was a bit hard to follow and it had some elements that were very immersion breaking. But I was quite amazed at the end of it.

Hands down best lore is Finric. A story about a boy, who became the woman of his dreams.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post4915394
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Lol. I actually really liked Finric's story because they implemented the dominant sex-change, which is very similar to some real life fish.

But Uriel and Kira, I remember going through their questline and shipping them and laughing at myself because there was no way....then getting to the part of the ritual where Uriel has to take the heart of the one she cares for most and loving that they made a short story of the aftermath. And then doing a callback in the laethys tyranny nightmare with the "secretly hates" tag.

<3 the people sharing in this thread. I read them and go, I remember that story! and makes me happy.

I like this thread. Stillmoor still my fav. Silverwood as well, but that could just be the nostalgia talking as it was my "first" zone.

Soulwalker

Are spoilers necessary at this point? Just to be safe, spoilers for SL ahead

Basically the entirety of Brevane starting with the two lovers torn apart, lives destroyed, a kingdom torn apart by mutants. Ending with the lovers coming together and rebuilding the tarnished kingdom.
    Warm fuzzies abound
    Cut out Ashora because I seem to forget what happens there
    Its also really nice to see such a bright ending to such a dark and depressing zone. (NO we dont talk about The Drome... Poor Tasuil.)
    Last edited by TheShivspoon; 10-17-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Yep, to all of the above. There are still devs out there who can WRITE - and in that writing, pull us all in.

Love this game.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

My favorite story?... Damn, that's a tough one, being a huge lore nerd and playing for almost 5 years total (not counting betas!).

Probably either the Stillmoor story arcs or the ending parts of the Nightmare saga, where it actually got serious rather than being all about Ascended meatbags bragging about Manugo scores.

...Did I say that out loud?

Ascendant

It's too long since I did the vanilla sagas, so I do not recall what they all were about. But I just restarted a Primalist, and I talk to all NPS, read all the quest texts and am prepared to do all the sagas, so I will find out soon enough how good the lore of old really was

... spoiler ahead ...

From SL I really liked the Brevane story line and how it evolved over multiple zones. Roaming through the ruins of a once great civilization to find out what happend there is always an interesting scenario, and I think they did it in a good way...

Quote Originally Posted by TheShivspoon View Post
    Cut out Ashora because I seem to forget what happens there
    ...except the "end" in Ashora which you probably do not remember since there is no end at all, not even a cliffhanger. You get to the ogers, who sent Salvarola to Crucia, who gave him all his power, the ogers regret it and want to make up for it, and then... it's over after ~15 quests. Man, was I p*ssed when this great story line just vanished into the air.

And in NT I love the storyline in Draumheim, and the part in Tarken about the lost Ghar station whose inhabitants slowly fall into madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    and the part in Tarken about the lost Ghar station whose inhabitants slowly fall into madness.
    The second I started that questline, I was like, "OMG, we're in 'The Thing'. YES!"

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

I think this is a ripe opportunity to plug the wonderful idea of

Replayable content

Let me replay zone story quests, reward free, without having to make alt characters.
    My short term memory is fading in my old age and I forgot so many of these storylines.
    Last edited by fibes; 10-18-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fibes View Post
    I think this is a ripe opportunity to plug the wonderful idea of

Replayable content

Let me replay zone story quests, reward free, without having to make alt characters.
    My short term memory is fading in my old age and I forgot so many of these storylines.
    I have already begged Darkmoon to add this to the game. It helps she'd like to have it too, but there's a lot of factors to consider.

That said...

PLEASE ADD REPLAYABLE CONTENT!

I'd say the general lore about how the universe works, but Trion certainly doesn't make it easy to find or figure out.

Just anything "grand scope". Since in this game, I find many of the characters forgettable even if their stories are good because after their quest chains end, they fall off the face of the planet.

I mean you think for example, that couple that got married in 2.0 would be of importance, but not. Just disappeared.
    Tasuil? They used his model for an Easter egg hunt but he's gone too considering he should be FAR more important than that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast