+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KelbornOrdo

Thread: Returning player needs a server destination

Soulwalker

Default Returning player needs a server destination

Hello all.

Ive been away from Rift for quite a while. I played for a few months after release but left to play with friends on other games. Im back now, but it looks like my original server was one of those given "trial" status. Given that the list of servers to choose from is relatively small, Im just looking for the most populated. Shardwatch has helped me narrow it down to Deepwood, Faeblight, or Greybriar. Faeblight seems to have the highest sustained population, but it is an RP server and im not sure if people are actually playing, or RPing. Props to them if they are RPing, its just not my thing and Id like to quest and run dungeons instead.

Anyone able to give me a rundown of each servers population, or does it even matter with cross shard capability?

Im also aware that this question has probably been asked a million times, Im just looking for a more up to date response.
    Last edited by JamsD; 10-16-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Phs

I like to role play I'm good at the game while raiding. That's why I'm on Faeblight now.

but anyway. No it doesn't really matter anymore since shard crossing is easy.

Faeblight is quite busy, and since RP mostly happens in dimensions, now, you don't even often get "accidentally exposed".

I enjoy occasional RP, myself, but it's dirt simple to avoid, without even trying, if you're not inclined. There's always plenty of standard PvE play going on.
    Of course they sent you back from one of the futures in which we failed, Defiant. Why would they return you from one of those in which we succeeded?

When it comes right down to it you can pull two names out a hat and either pick the one left in the hat or flip a coin for the two you pulled. Aside from Seastone (PvP), it really doesn't matter what shard you pick (NA-wise).

I'm on Wolfsbane and most of the time more than half the players I encounter running around are from other shards. Usually Deepwood and Greybriar in my experience.

So, unless you have something to tie you to one shard it doesn't matter which one you call home. And if you don't like the one you choose you can transfer for free once every seven days until you find the one that's right for you.

Welcome back!

I'm on Faeblight*, I am not an RPer, and, so far, it has not been an issue at all. There is some open-world RP that happens at certain locations but I think I've only seen it in /say so you have to be nearby to even see it. I've also not had anybody try to RP with me out of the blue, or even ask directly if I wanted to, so I don't think that's a problem. Normally what I saw was someone would ask in /4 (level 1-29 chat) if anybody wanted to RP.

As for population, there are always peak times and off times. I generally keep /4 off these days and that's where most of the chat takes place, as far as I've noticed, but before I turned it off the chat seemed somewhat lively in the off times, though obviously not as lively as peak times. I'm not sure you could get a raid at 6am eastern without pulling people from other shards, as an example, but there are still people on chatting away, crafting, questing, and doing whatever.

Keep in mind that you can freely transfer once a week so you can pick a shard and if you don't like it, transfer and try another.

*I have characters on nearly every shard in both regions but Faeblight is my "home".
    Nazzir@Faeblight
    <Shadetouched>

any of your three choices will be good, however faeblight will put some restrictions on your character names. not an issue if your preferred name suits an RP shard, but expect trouble if it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post
    When it comes right down to it you can pull two names out a hat and either pick the one left in the hat or flip a coin for the two you pulled. Aside from Seastone (PvP), it really doesn't matter what shard you pick (NA-wise).

I'm on Wolfsbane and most of the time more than half the players I encounter running around are from other shards. Usually Deepwood and Greybriar in my experience.

So, unless you have something to tie you to one shard it doesn't matter which one you call home. And if you don't like the one you choose you can transfer for free once every seven days until you find the one that's right for you.

Welcome back!

We go to shards other than GB for gathering. The less pop shards are ripe. So if you like people GB or DW.
    Last edited by tirza; 10-17-2015 at 05:45 AM.

The best Shard for you is the one with the best Guild for you.

Transferring is a nearly painless process, and with "shard hopping" it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things where your home Shard is since you can go to any of them.

The only things your Shard matters for is your Guild and Dimensions (at least I think Dimensions are tied to the shard).

Plane Touched

Strictly population-wise, I think GB has the highest population for "normal NA prime time" players. DW is right behind it though, and FB has plenty of players as well. As has already been mentioned, you can pick anything but Seastone (PVP shard, more or less deserted) and be fine.

The main consideration for where you pick for your shard home is joining a guild. Once you've gotten back in the swing of things you'll want to find a nice guild to call home (type /join CrossEvents@Faeblight to join the unofficial "everyone talks here" chat). You can usually find people advertising for their guilds in your servers chat channels, the crossevents channel, or in the guild recruitment section of the forums here. If the guild you want to join isn't on your server, you can transfer for free once every 7 days (the lockout is per character, so you can either move all your chars, or spread them out all over the place to look around, etc). You can also "shard hop" at any time by right clicking your character portrait and choosing the "teleport to shard" option to go to that shard: you can't trade items with anyone not from your home shard, but you can still go play with friends etc.

+ Reply to Thread