+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 74 of 74
Like Tree90Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting for Disable Welcome?

  1. #61
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tactician View Post
    /facepalm

    Come on, guys... it takes what, 2 sec to react and close the damn window....

    Whats next? The game doesn't load under 3 sec, maybe?


    Please cry more. And lets the hype train of leavers starts now.
    And what about if they implement a 5 or 10 second timer before the window can be closed? How about a second, and then a third, and then a fourth window that pops up after the first one? None of those should be problems for you, nor should having the window pop up every time the game has to go to a loading screen, right?

    After all, it's just a few seconds, right?

  2. #62
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Invasive popups are unwelcome no matter how they're implemented.

  3. #63
    This Space For Rent Scormus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonix View Post
    I seriously do appreciate all of the feedback. We do hear you when you say that you're unhappy with the current implementation of the Welcome Window.

    For us the Welcome Window is one of the few guaranteed ways we have of communicating important things with everyone in Telara. It's an effective tool for both communication and promotion. The RIFT team has never been opposed to trying out new things, both in the game itself and on the business side to help make sure we can always keep quality game content flowing.

    In our ideal world we'd only ever have to focus on the act of game creation too, but in the world that we live in we also have to keep conscious of the business side of what we do. In this world, promotions are, hands down, the biggest reason that we've been able to keep the game as full of huge new updates as often as we do. We have every intention of keeping that up and experiments like this are one way to help make sure that keeps happening.

    Some of you aren't fond at all of this window in its current state -- We get that. Just because we don't react to your feedback the way you want, doesn't mean we're not listening or that your opinions aren't critically important to us. Over time, we plan to evolve this window to have more relevant game information in a way that's useful to everyone. While we aren't going to ask 100% of you to be in love with it as is, we'll respectfully hope that you understand that keeping a full, large team on RIFT as we do, does involve experiments like this, as you quickly skip past it.

    Based on feedback from PTS, we had already changed the window to only launch once every 20 hours, which we absolutely agree is a entirely reasonable improvement. Unfortunately there was a bug that caused the window to show up every login. Instead of leaving it in that state we chose to disable it entirely until a fix could be implemented out of a desire to not go overboard. We do genuinely want the best experience for you that we can possibly deliver.

    The current revision of that fix limits the window to open once per character. We're looking into options to ensure that it instead triggers once per account.

    3.4 introduced some pretty amazing features and content, and we thank you all so much for your continued support, or at the very least, your kind tolerance of the occasional thing that helps make sure we're always able to get you the biggest, best, free updates as often as we possibly can.
    I get what you're saying, but keep in mind, we already see ads on Glyph every time we open it up to start a Trion game. So while you guys may feel the new Welcome Screen is a more effective means of communicating with players, all I see is another ad, after seeing several notices on Glyph. While this isn't as egregious as some other F2P games (case in point: The links to the in-game store in LOTRO, which are on damn near everything in the game), it is still egregious, and something I do not approve of. Yes, it takes but a moment to shut it off, but that's not the point.

    If I were to walk into my local video arcade, and were met with a video screen advertising something for the arcade upon entering, I would be annoyed as hell. Sure, I can just walk around it, but the simple act of forcing ads upon me, be it in a real live business or a game such as "Rift", is unacceptable and in my opinion, quite rude.

    It seems as though Trion is unwilling to remove the Welcome Screen, or at least give us the option to Opt Out of it, and I guess I can understand your reasoning for this, but I don't have to like it, either. My Patron subscription runs out in February or March of next year, and I doubt I'll be renewing it at that point. I also don't plan on spending any more money with Trion in the future.

  4. #64
    Ascendant Meteorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tactician View Post
    Come on, guys... it takes what, 2 sec to react and close the damn window....
    It takes me no more than a few seconds to pick up the junk mail flyers that come through my letterbox each morning and put them in my bin. I don't read them. I don't want them. They're a nuisance and an annoyance. This advert is the same thing.

  5. #65
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    This is not true for every player.



    That would be a bad use of space. Fortunately the welcome screen gives us a variety of choices for what to display to players, including things like currently running events or upcoming livestreams. Had there been a livestream this week that would have been the main message.





    Our initial limits on how often it displays weren't working correctly. We're working on new options.



    You can close it.



    That is not an option that is available.
    Yes it is an option to just stop opening the game. TYVM

  6. #66
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Yeah, sad as it will make me.... I'm probably going to stop playing entirely. It's a fun game - and I've spent a LOT of money on it for a year and a half or so. I only buy patron with credits, a month at a time, so....

    Later this month, it's going to be "bye y'all". I've enjoyed knowing most of you, but this kind of "in your face" crap is going to send me off to SPMR games again. Pillars of Eternity is fun, and I still love Oblivion and Skyrim.
    Wildstar f2p.

  7. #67
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scormus View Post
    I get what you're saying, but keep in mind, we already see ads on Glyph every time we open it up to start a Trion game. So while you guys may feel the new Welcome Screen is a more effective means of communicating with players, all I see is another ad, after seeing several notices on Glyph. While this isn't as egregious as some other F2P games (case in point: The links to the in-game store in LOTRO, which are on damn near everything in the game), it is still egregious, and something I do not approve of. Yes, it takes but a moment to shut it off, but that's not the point.

    If I were to walk into my local video arcade, and were met with a video screen advertising something for the arcade upon entering, I would be annoyed as hell. Sure, I can just walk around it, but the simple act of forcing ads upon me, be it in a real live business or a game such as "Rift", is unacceptable and in my opinion, quite rude.

    It seems as though Trion is unwilling to remove the Welcome Screen, or at least give us the option to Opt Out of it, and I guess I can understand your reasoning for this, but I don't have to like it, either. My Patron subscription runs out in February or March of next year, and I doubt I'll be renewing it at that point. I also don't plan on spending any more money with Trion in the future.
    Like so many others, I came to this thread looking for a way to disable the annoying pop-up push ads.

    First it was the game opening up my browser when I logged out, which was so annoying I disabled the browser program.

    Then it was the store window popping up again after I closed it the first time.

    Now it's a huge push ad that covers the entire screen when I log in? Like anyone is going to forget there is a store where things can be purchased? We already have to look at the store window once a day to collect the daily gift. If seeing an advertisement once a day doesn't maintain awareness of your product, then it's time to make a better product.

    Too many game developers are spending too much time forcing advertisements on people instead of making the game more fun and interesting to play. Which is just mind-boggling, given how many free-to-play games are out there. Because there are so many options, even little tiny things like this cost a game large chunks of its player base.

  8. #68
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    391

    Default

    I'd like for there to be an option in the UI to disable this. As a patron, I'm already paying Trion and subsidizing the F2P folks -- Rift shouldn't be adware for me.

    Thanks for reading.

  9. #69
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    656

    Default

    I don't see why this should only be disabled for those who are actively paying for patron status. One of my accounts has patron but the other does not. However, I probably buy enough fluff & convenience items on the 2nd account to equal patron status. I just elect to spend my money on something other than patron on account #2. Maybe tie it to a certain tier of loyalty if you want to thrust it in the face of people who haven't put a single RL $ into the game?

  10. #70
    Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonix View Post
    We're looking into options to ensure that it instead triggers once per account.
    Could we get an update on this?
    The window still opens for every character.

  11. #71
    Ascendant Meteorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonix View Post
    For us the Welcome Window is one of the few guaranteed ways we have of communicating important things with everyone in Telara. It's an effective tool for both communication and promotion.
    Effective communication would have been to tell everyone that the Five Kanhs quest was disabled all last reset, or that the Dire Corruption had been disabled for warriors (affecting Reaver, Tempest and Rftblade specs) this morning and you have no ETA for a fix for it.

    Instead the Welcome splash is telling us that Autumfest has started despite the fact that it was disabled earlier today due to the instance it happens in being broken.

    I still see plenty of promotion, but zero effective communication in the splash.

  12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #72
    Rift Team Archonix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yali View Post
    Could we get an update on this?
    The window still opens for every character.
    Engineering finished up earlier in the week and it's now in testing. Assuming all is well we hope to have it out soon.

  13. #73
    Ascendant Narcise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonix View Post
    Engineering finished up earlier in the week and it's now in testing. Assuming all is well we hope to have it out soon.
    That's good! I got over my snit about the window, but fewer openings would be nice regardless. Thanks!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

  14. #74
    Plane Touched fibes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    296

    Default

    I would actually look forward to the popup if it promoted unique daily events like "Close a Rift for Dim Items Day" or "Fish Up a Companion Day".

    Kind of like minion quests, but for us to do

    Nothing crazy, makes it fun to log in, promotes world activity, etc...

    And you can still sell stuff in the two lower windows, perhaps daily specials, 20% off upgrade parts, etc..

    Just a thought. As it stands now it does seem a bit redundant considering the Glyph wall and Rift store.
    Last edited by fibes; 10-22-2015 at 06:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts