+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: PTW: Does it make you queasy?

Soulwalker

Default PTW: Does it make you queasy?

Hi everybody! For some reason The Planetouched Wilds gave me really intense carsick feelings. (I suspect it might have triggered the giant horrible migraine I had yesterday and today, ugh.)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Shadowlander

OMG YES! After about 5 minutes in the new zone, I can feel a headache coming on. If I stay after that, I start getting nauseated.
    I have motion sickness in RL to the point that I can't ride in the backseat of cars or I will puke. Have had problems with other games making me slightly ill (headache with nausea) but never this bad or this quick.
    Seems bad to me that I need to take medication to be able to play a game, but if Dramamine doesn't help, I guess I won't be playing the new zone.
    Wonder what causes it?

Rift Disciple

All good here.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Danaie View Post
    OMG YES! After about 5 minutes in the new zone, I can feel a headache coming on. If I stay after that, I start getting nauseated.
    I have motion sickness in RL to the point that I can't ride in the backseat of cars or I will puke. Have had problems with other games making me slightly ill (headache with nausea) but never this bad or this quick.
    Seems bad to me that I need to take medication to be able to play a game, but if Dramamine doesn't help, I guess I won't be playing the new zone.
    Wonder what causes it?
    Aw man, that's awful, I'm sorry. And yeah, that's the weirdest part, I can't seem to pinpoint what's causing it! I've never had this happen in any of the other zones.

I have rather bad motion sickness irl (in cars, trains etc), but haven't had this in PTW so far. The only times that I really got sick because of RIFT were when I tried to solve certain player-made mazes in dimensions . The open world, with nice big open spaces, never caused this feeling for me.
    Last edited by Veldan; 10-09-2015 at 01:52 AM. Reason: clarity

Soulwalker

I think I just realized it--it's all the long dizzy drops into canyons and stuff, at least for me. Uuugghhhghghgh.

But it's so pretty there...

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowbarnacle View Post
    I think I just realized it--it's all the long dizzy drops into canyons and stuff, at least for me. Uuugghhhghghgh.

But it's so pretty there...
    I can sympathize with you regarding motion sickness in games. For me, the triggers are often camera-jerk and wildly fluctuating frame rates. Have you observed your FPS to see if something is causing your FPS to drop dramatically during certain scenes?
    Savik of Greybriar
    Guild Leader, TKagi Ro (Level 30)
    3/3 BoS

Telaran

Default darn!

I was planning on logging in this weekend for the first time since this patch dropped.

I am a sailor. grew up sailing.. around boats of all kinds..the only thing that has ever made me sea sick was a trip I took on a large ferry in bad weather. Sitting in the cabin with the boat rolling, curtains swaying and a MIRROR on the wall sliding back and forth..I got queasy.

This game is the only one that has actually made me get up and go lay in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for the world to quit spinning. I play ffxiv and wow. Neither has ever come close to making me ill like rift can. I love hunting artifacts but most days, I simply cannot do it - all the camera bouncing in and out. I can generally tolerate one 30 minute zone event then I have to log out.

I'm sad to hear people have issues in the new zone. I will approach cautiously..but am really feeling my rift days may be nearing an end.

Rift Disciple

I feel bad for all the people who are having motion sickness in the new area. I am very sorry about that. I can't imagine how bad that could be. I've never been motion sick once in my life, so I don't know what that's like.

Planetouched Wilds is not causing me any problems other than excessive giggling & delight as I leap and jump all over the place like a 6 year old kid.

The only time I get slightly this sensation is while in the sea above draum and dropping down, and it is more of a baby lose your stomache type sensastion then queasy. Jumping up from the canyons isn't so bad for me, seems to be the dropping down, but nothing to nearly be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by seershah View Post
    I was planning on logging in this weekend for the first time since this patch dropped.

I am a sailor. grew up sailing.. around boats of all kinds..the only thing that has ever made me sea sick was a trip I took on a large ferry in bad weather. Sitting in the cabin with the boat rolling, curtains swaying and a MIRROR on the wall sliding back and forth..I got queasy.

This game is the only one that has actually made me get up and go lay in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for the world to quit spinning. I play ffxiv and wow. Neither has ever come close to making me ill like rift can. I love hunting artifacts but most days, I simply cannot do it - all the camera bouncing in and out. I can generally tolerate one 30 minute zone event then I have to log out.

I'm sad to hear people have issues in the new zone. I will approach cautiously..but am really feeling my rift days may be nearing an end.
    I should point out that I personally am getting any motion sickness from Planetouched Wilds, but I have also not experienced motion sickness in any part of Rift. Performance, for me, in Planetouched Wilds is smooth, a lot more so than Nightmare Tide.
    Savik of Greybriar
    Guild Leader, TKagi Ro (Level 30)
    3/3 BoS

Default Thank you for the Heads Up :)

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowbarnacle View Post
    Hi everybody! For some reason The Planetouched Wilds gave me really intense carsick feelings. (I suspect it might have triggered the giant horrible migraine I had yesterday and today, ugh.)

Has anyone else experienced this?
    I too have Motion Sickness and while my Main is still level 62 and quite can't do the new zone yet, I want to say Thank You for making this post.

I see it as a much needed warning to those who do have Motion Sickness, and thus I will avoid the new zone like the plague.

One again... Thanks for the Warning

13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #13
    Rift Team

It might be the increased jump height in the upper plains areas, do you find you are jumping a lot?

I don't know if it is related, but i get motion sickness when i am playing my new primalist. It seems there is some sort of camera stuttering or something weird with movement of the character. I can't currently stomach playing that character at all. I have no problems with my other characters, and never had any motion sickness problems wtih RIft before.

Soulwalker

Hey! Wow thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I fiddled with the ATI and the quality presets and I've found playing it on lower graphics settings helps a little, but yeah I still get pretty headachey and queasy when I'm there.

I don't wanna stop questing there, though. I'm kind of hoping I'll adjust after awhile, because SKYWHALES.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast