+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: G4TV Interview with Scott Hartsman

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Avram View Post
    I can't watch it right now, but the fact that he's talking about catering to soloers really really scares me. I'm not saying soloing should be impossible, I just think having the mentality of "Let's make sure everyone can solo to max level comfortably" is a horrible mentality to have when designing an MMO. Like I said though, I haven't watched it yet, so maybe I'm misinterpreting what Liziana is saying.
    Soloing is the only option for some people, I say it's a good idea.

Nice !

Added to Rift Links website.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Yes, you are right.. I'm just frustrated that every MMO out there follows these same patterns of throwing easy buttons everywhere to make the masses happy.. Is it too much to ask for one new MMO that fits my tastes? Perhaps it is!
    who gives a crap how people level, the endgame of most games (yes EVEN WOW) is all about grouping and raiding.

leveling to max is just the tutorial.

though i still think they should encourage grouping with bonus exp.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
    who gives a crap how people level, the endgame of most games (yes EVEN WOW) is all about grouping and raiding.

I think the levelling to the end and then really starting the game is a flaw in games. You spend most of your time in the rest of the world (since you level and move on), whilst then repeating a few areas over and over once you hit the max. I hope someone figures out a better way to do this.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Good find, thank you for posting it.

I see the hype-machine is definitely making its rounds with the term "guild content" ;)
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    I think the levelling to the end and then really starting the game is a flaw in games. You spend most of your time in the rest of the world (since you level and move on), whilst then repeating a few areas over and over once you hit the max. I hope someone figures out a better way to do this.

only way to do that for me has been in games with no levels and no class structure. otherwise there are too many meaningful things to do at the endgame (in PVE and PVP) to go slowly through the tutorial.

Prophet of Telara

We need to cut out the attitude that the endgame is where it's at. People complain about too much solo content in games but I think this belief that the game only gets interesting when you reach the last level is an even darker problem of our times.

The game should be interesting from level 1 to level whatever and devs should be designng content to make you want to stick at level 30 and do what there is at that level before you move on.

Anyone that gets to the endgame and complains that there's nothing to do then looks a fool. At least in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    We need to cut out the attitude that the endgame is where it's at. People complain about too much solo content in games but I think this belief that the game only gets interesting when you reach the last level is an even darker problem of our times.

The game should be interesting from level 1 to level whatever and devs should be designng content to make you want to stick at level 30 and do what there is at that level before you move on.

Anyone that gets to the endgame and complains that there's nothing to do then looks a fool. At least in my eyes.
    again for me, i don't care how cool the content is at level 20, 30 or whatever i will still rush through it so i can get to the endgame. ill revisit it with an alt lol.

as for complaining i wont if there is good PVP action on regular servers, PVP is always constant changing content.

Prophet of Telara

And, nice video find. He opened up the lore much clearer at the start of that. Before it was all rather fuzzy where Telara was sitting and what the rifts are...but I think that puts it direct and to the point.

The rift content reminds me of WAR's public quests and fort sieges in some ways. You competed as a team there and you won rewards based on your achievement. The problem with WAR was that I often found the rewards to be skewed. I could do a crap load of work and not get anything. I therefore liked Scott's comments that the share of loot will be fairly done and you will be rewarded for sticking about.

I know these videos are essentially promotional events where they say the positive stuff, but all his talk about having the experience of 27 released MMOs, and first draft ideas being better than most betas has to fill anyone with a warm glow. Will that make for a short beta so we can get our hands on this work of art sooner?

Prophet of Telara

again for me, i don't care how cool the content is at level 20, 30 or whatever i will still rush through it so i can get to the endgame. ill revisit it with an alt lol.

as for complaining i wont if there is good PVP action on regular servers, PVP is always constant changing content.
    Well I personally wouldn't mind seeing opt in or opt out PvP on all servers. I just don't want idiots who rush to the top then choose to sit in major quest hubs ganking lower level players to ruin my fun if I'm enjoying what's provided.

Not that I'm calling you an idiots who likes to do that...just making a point about how I would see it going.

And do you have to be top level to PvP? When I've PvPed in games I've actually found it most fun at mid-level ranges. I had huge amounts of fun PvPing in WoW in the Barrens and that forest north of it, and then Tarren Mill. IN WAR I had a lot more fun around levels 10 to 20. I just often seems more relaxed and fun at that level, where as when you join in with the big boys it becomes overly serious and all about ganking.

I guess we're all different, but that's a lot of ground for MMO devs to cover.

I believe what Apoth is saying...even I understand it...is that no matter if someone solos to max level cap...it STILL leads to grouping/raiding.

So in the inevitable end...you're going to have to group.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

I completely disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    I believe what Apoth is saying...even I understand it...is that no matter if someone solos to max level cap...it STILL leads to grouping/raiding.

So in the inevitable end...you're going to have to group.
    exactly even in WoW which is considered the most casual and solo friendly game around. guess what the majority do at the endgame.

Group dungeons for items
    Raid for items
    PVP

all which require a group, well PVP does to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post

I completely agree.

I completely agree.
    Man of many words.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast