+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
Like Tree10Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Worst Quest Ever

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    25

    Default Worst Quest Ever

    I'm trying to do the Fated to Die quest of the Nightmare Saga Part 3 quest line.

    This has to be the absolute worst quest I have come across in my 16 years of playing MMOs.

    Here's what happens:

    a) I get turned back alive when I haven't come close to the Messengers AND the 1 minute timer hasn't finished counting down yet.

    b) I have had Messengers run me over and haven't been turned back alive.

    The quest graphics have lousy indicators as to how close you can get before you get ressed by the Messenger.

    I can't use a mouse with a scroll wheel due to injuries to my wrist. So in order to scroll out my camera, I have to mess with my Rift.cfg file.

    If this quest is going to be so sensitive to lag issues, it needs to have a longer timer on it.

    Losing the progress on the quest because the server suddenly thinks I got too close to a Messenger is beyond annoying.

    Please increase the timer on it or decrease the number necessary so that server lag is not as big an issue.

    This quest was made with console gamers in mind. Trion, Devs, please remember there ARE people who play this game who were growing up before the consoles were invented! I don't have the reflexes demanded of this little exercise.

    I've been working at this for over two hours, the highest I get is 7 before the server thinks I've gotten to close to a Messenger when I haven't. I'll keep at it, but, seriously, you need to take into account server lag when you design these quests.

    Oh, and when I say this is the worst quest ever, I've played EverQuest for 7 years. I know what I'm talking about when I say this is THE WORST QUEST.

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara Mordrahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    I'm in the same boat... Not alone it seems.
    I had exactly the same "bugs", and camera zoom reseting itself because of ceiling and wall collision does not help. Pillars not respawning when you reset the thing is another problem.
    Something needs to be done, reduce the number of flames to hit to 6 or 7. Longer timer would not really be helping because the longer you stay here, more chance you have to get some problem.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 08-17-2015 at 12:27 PM.

    Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

  3. #3
    Ascendant Meteorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haeljan View Post
    This quest was made with console gamers in mind. Trion, Devs, please remember there ARE people who play this game who were growing up before the consoles were invented! I don't have the reflexes demanded of this little exercise.
    Well, I was playing computer games way, way before consoles were invented - I'm talking ZX81s and ZX Spectrums here - and I had no problem with the quest. My suggestion to you is to move the camera so it's as close to vertical as you can get it, looking straight down at your character. That gives you the best chance to judge if you're in a flame or if a messenger is going to hit you and res you up. As for the messengers themselves, they follow a completely predefined and predictable pattern. Learn it and you should have no trouble with this quest.

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer Deeew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haeljan View Post
    Oh, and when I say this is the worst quest ever, I've played EverQuest for 7 years. I know what I'm talking about when I say this is THE WORST QUEST.
    You clearly aint done BiC in EQ.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    266

    Default

    This thread made me laugh.

    "made for console gamers" "there are people who existed before consoles".

    Conveniently forgets doom, quake, ut, all of which came before "consoles".

    And no, you DONT need to edit the cfg file to change zoom settings. There;s a software called AutoHotKey.

    make a new text file anywhere, put this inside it :

    Spoiler!



    and save as name.ahk (the AHK at the end is important) and run it.
    it will swap the F11 key with scrollwheel up and F12 with scrollwheel down ONLY if the rift window is active. the rest of your interaction will be the same as always, since the command IfWinActive will only work if Rift is the current active window.

    if you want a really bare-bones code (for those paranoid about running unknown code), u can just use these 2 lines :

    Spoiler!


    however, this will swap the keys everywhere, until you exit the program (small green square with a white H on it)

    as always, use any 3rd party software at your own discretion, im not related to ahk or trion in any way, and the code provided is as-is.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,271

    Default

    most of the replies here seem to have picked up on the least important point the OP made (playing before the era of consoles) and skipped what seems to me to be the only relevant points: handily labelled "a" and "b" in the OPs post.

    apart from his mouse/wrist issues, it seems he has sever latency problems which results in him failing the quest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara Ynrapbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phartoute View Post
    This thread made me laugh.

    "made for console gamers" "there are people who existed before consoles".

    Conveniently forgets doom, quake, ut, all of which came before "consoles".

    And no, you DONT need to edit the cfg file to change zoom settings. There;s a software called AutoHotKey.

    make a new text file anywhere, put this inside it :

    Spoiler!



    and save as name.ahk (the AHK at the end is important) and run it.
    it will swap the F11 key with scrollwheel up and F12 with scrollwheel down ONLY if the rift window is active. the rest of your interaction will be the same as always, since the command IfWinActive will only work if Rift is the current active window.

    if you want a really bare-bones code (for those paranoid about running unknown code), u can just use these 2 lines :

    Spoiler!


    however, this will swap the keys everywhere, until you exit the program (small green square with a white H on it)

    as always, use any 3rd party software at your own discretion, im not related to ahk or trion in any way, and the code provided is as-is.
    AutoHotKey can be detected by Rift's guard bot, whatever it is.
    Let Elrar know you care @

    https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ynrapbag View Post
    AutoHotKey can be detected by Rift's guard bot, whatever it is.
    i dont think rift has a guard bot. i've been using a custom 100 line ahk script for over 2 years.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser Klingensturm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haeljan View Post
    I know what I'm talking about when I say this is THE WORST QUEST.
    I disagree.
    Do you prefer AION queste like turn in 2000 coins for a blue weapon and 1 coin is earnd by a masaker quest where you need to kill 45 mobs ?
    Or Dark Poeta where 1500 Bosses droped 3 epics ?

    Back to topic. The 1st time i did the quest it took a few tries to figure it out but with my other 3 chars it was flawless. The quest is not too hard you should improve your movment skills.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

  10. #10
    Telaran kronos368's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default Chronicles

    The biggest issue I have is the Chronicles. Why do we have to do them on hard mode? I don't see any reason why that is necessary. I want to continue this quest chain but I can't because hard mode is simply too difficult for me to do with my low fps. I also don't raid for that reason so I do not have the damage to easily take down what I need to. Call me a casual or a "carebear" as I saw in another thread, but I personally do not like that this is catering so much to people who have the best gear and systems to complete hard mode.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kronos368 View Post
    The biggest issue I have is the Chronicles. Why do we have to do them on hard mode? I don't see any reason why that is necessary. I want to continue this quest chain but I can't because hard mode is simply too difficult for me to do with my low fps. I also don't raid for that reason so I do not have the damage to easily take down what I need to. Call me a casual or a "carebear" as I saw in another thread, but I personally do not like that this is catering so much to people who have the best gear and systems to complete hard mode.
    because easymode can be done blind and using only a mouse to click everything?

    no, really, i was doing the quest on my alt (she's a 1350 hit cleric) with a friend.
    i was to run+open all cages, while they killed the boss (they had better dps).

    we started, and to my amazement, his HP dropped really fast.
    so fast, that, we managed to kill him before he could even finish the "breaking loose" cast, LOL.

    then we realized that we had forgot to set the darned instance to hardmode.

    get it?

    the normal mode boss is so laughably easy, it dies in less than 30 seconds, and doesnt get time to do any mechanics.

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer Lethaemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kronos368 View Post
    The biggest issue I have is the Chronicles. Why do we have to do them on hard mode? I don't see any reason why that is necessary. I want to continue this quest chain but I can't because hard mode is simply too difficult for me to do with my low fps. I also don't raid for that reason so I do not have the damage to easily take down what I need to. Call me a casual or a "carebear" as I saw in another thread, but I personally do not like that this is catering so much to people who have the best gear and systems to complete hard mode.
    Hate to break it to you, but expert gear isn't the best gear. The saga was a complete joke to those with the "best" gear.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phartoute View Post
    no, really, i was doing the quest on my alt (she's a 1350 hit cleric) with a friend...(they had better dps).
    ...
    the normal mode boss is so laughably easy, it dies in less than 30 seconds, and doesnt get time to do any mechanics.
    So you went there with a friend who does more damage than you in your 1350 hit equip. Then you return to tell us the chronicle is easy mode when you totally outgear it.

    Priceless.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    So you went there with a friend who does more damage than you in your 1350 hit equip. Then you return to tell us the chronicle is easy mode when you totally outgear it.

    Priceless.
    ok, lets break it down, ~30-35 seconds for T2 geared
    1 min for T1 geared.
    2 minutes for expert geared.
    4 minutes for 800 hit.

    sounds fair?

    EDIT : whats the enrage timer on hm/nm ungolok?
    also, double the values for hardmode.

    4-6 minutes to kill HM ungolok in expert gear is more than reasonable.
    anymore and you run the risk of being called a bad.

    double edit : still having problems? i am willing to sell 4 HM carries per day. send me a PM for more info.
    Last edited by phartoute; 08-18-2015 at 05:09 AM.

  15. #15
    Ascendant Wonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    "Conveniently forgets doom, quake, ut, all of which came before "consoles"."

    Err... a history lesson, there were many console game units before all of these PC games, let me count the ways... Atari 2600, Intellivision, Bally Arcade, Magnavox, Atari 5200, and Colecovision come to mind, with thousands and thousands of titles.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts