+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 36 souls... and NO PLACE for monks and not only...

Shadowlander

-For me monk are too religious and ascetic(all life-training, meditation, prays) to be warrior, mage or rogue, but sinse pally count as warrior, i dont mind to see monk in this calling(but all knows - they do not wear heavy armor).

-Yep, monks are supposed to be calm and peaceful, whats why in my opinion(I look at the monk through the prism of connection Eastern and Western cultures, not just as rpg character)they should not belong to DPSers(suppose they could have offencive stance), more to defence/sup/control hybrid(even sometimes in games they has some abillities with "internal" damage): they goal is not to kill an enemy, but help/protect their allies, to find weak spots,overcome/neutralize an enemy(and mb later to kill).
    -They are complex character type in matter of equipment and animation. But think they would be ok without bare hands attacks and acrobatic movements(as myself prefer polearm, staffs, hammers,mb katar weapon +some legs kicks).

What players think about DK("antipaladin"-shadowknights, Daoc's reavers etc.) types of souls???
    Last edited by Vorch22; 08-10-2015 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorch22 View Post
    What players think about DK("antipaladin"-shadowknights, Daoc's reavers etc.) types of souls???
    Rift's Reavers are better.

Shadowlander

a few moments:
    -Now he can barely called a knight/crusader(just "warlomancer" in plate)
    -Rift havent defencive/hybrid soul with "lifetap-centric" mechanic(soul feast -just minor static effect, which almost useless in pvp/Necro has a couple of spells but mostly "pet-centric")
    Last edited by Vorch22; 08-13-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Telaran

I would not personally would wanna see monks in a RIFT. Must be honest that two games did came on my mind right away after mentioned that class. Diablo and world of warcraft, also remind at me those endless CC problems in a Diablo if they would be spammable, fast hitting CC class in a game.

Because monks would not really much would be differend then martial arts fighter like Assassins.
    I dont remember a thread but there was mentioned a Illusionist (wich is like Mesmers in a Guild wars 2). Also engineer and so on was mentioned and they was fairly okay classes in
    Guild wars 2 by they healing,attacking etc.. turrets wich would work also in a RIFT.
    They have weapons and pretty much all ''Classes'' are mixed for capable of nearly all purposes.
    - Illusionist is for Mage class.
    - Engineering is for Rogue in my mind.
    - Warrior any workable juggernaut or Phalanx(spear specialized).
    - Cleric i would go for a pure priest soul. (Somewhat similar with a monk as its behavior of helping a weakers, but that CC spamming would not be interesting and it would nearly kill a many things unless they hold even some mobs for having a capabilities being immune a certain ccs).

Yes i know same old things..hehe Well i also git a nother thing came on my mind also because Guardians and Defiants are totally differend way factions a way lore says even in a game. Differences lets say that they add Engineering style of a souls that would work for a Defiant because its abilitity to creater such contructions etc..
    While Guardian does have a cannon but a more ''Hunter'' way like traps and other natural way attacking poison darts and so on.. i believe some may understand what i am talking about. That would also keep a Faction decision more exciting and meaning for it as you play in choosed side. So why not having a little differend names for a souls wich determite of your Faction decision.

Would work well in a RIFT. Because a game its a littl bit mixed from differend ages of a time. Others are carrying a swords while some other can carry a cannon in his hands.
    Last edited by Diemore; 08-13-2015 at 08:17 AM.

I mained a dps friar in daoc and had an iksar monk in eq, Im a RL fan of boxing and mma so monk is always the closest to that, plus dps with self heals are usually solid solo and 1vx classes.

I'd be down for Monks joining the list of souls available for play. It'd bring a unique play style along with another iconic class to help keep players. In all honesty I'd rather see the Monk become a soul over say the Typhoon, which is going to be incredibly hard to distinguish itself as an original soul thanks to Stormcaller.
    Last edited by Necalli; 08-13-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorch22 View Post
    On another note: At launch, Reaver was the (my) go to AOE farmer with decent damage, good heals, and lots of armor, but it got nerfed into the ground until its recent iteration, and Void Knights were a terror in PvP with good damage and mana drains that worked as well as or better than Dominators but Mages/Clerics cried foul and VK mana drains were nerfed, nerfed again, and then removed entirely (because losing 5 mana out of a pool of 3000 was worthless.)

I don't have much use for the monk/martial arts playstyle. And it doesn't seem to me to fit very well with Rift. But that's just me. Still, I'm looking forward to the Primalist, which after some thought, does seem to me to sound like fun and have some relevance.

I'd be fine with Rift adding something "monklike" (oy, THERE'S a disconnect, if you really stop to consider....), I just probably wouldn't bother with it myself.
    Last edited by Narcise; 08-13-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbahmi View Post
    i hate the concept of monks. i hope they never make a monk/monk-like class.

instant veto.
    Downvote...

Monks are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    I don't have much use for the monk/martial arts playstyle. And it doesn't seem to me to fit very well with Rift. But that's just me. Still, I'm looking forward to the Primalist, which after some thought, does seem to me to sound like fun and have some relevance.

I'd be fine with Rift adding something "monklike" (oy, THERE'S a disconnect, if you really stop to consider....), I just probably wouldn't bother with it myself.
    There's a few disconnects in Rift. Some of those costumes, beach wear, french maid, butler... etc. It's cosmetic. But we tend to make the game fit our interpretations of fantasy worlds. There's always room to write into lore monks. It doesn't have to be the Far East variety. Martial Arts also has a larger influence. Hollywood just make it seem that it's Miyagi or Bruce Lee.

Then again, we do have those eastern styled tiger mounts and that fox with those very, very Buddhist beads. And people do play with asian names.
    Last edited by Nuuli; 08-13-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    There's a few disconnects in Rift. Some of those costumes, beach wear, french maid, butler... etc. It's cosmetic. But we tend to make the game fit our interpretations of fantasy worlds. There's always room to write into lore monks. It doesn't have to be the Far East variety. Martial Arts also has a larger influence. Hollywood just make it seem that it's Miyagi or Bruce Lee.

Then again, we do have those eastern styled tiger mounts and that fox with those very, very Buddhist beads. And people do play with asian names.
    I don't know anything about Hollywood. I don't DO movies.... ewww. And I really don't know (without resorting to google....) who "Miyagi or Bruce Lee" are, pretty sure I'm not interested. The fox mount is objectionable to me for the tiny little fetishist feet, not the beads.

TOMMO went the monk route when Pandaria arrived. Loved Pandaria (the LAST thing I loved in that game), hated the monk stuff. Sorry, my base reaction to combat is blast it with something (guns, magic, mental bolts, biotics, whatever), NOT monk mano a mano stuff. So I'm not going to go there myself, but as I said, if the devs think they can shoehorn it in, fine - I just won't buy it.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    TOMMO went the monk route when Pandaria arrived. Loved Pandaria (the LAST thing I loved in that game), hated the monk stuff. Sorry, my base reaction to combat is blast it with something (guns, magic, mental bolts, biotics, whatever), NOT monk mano a mano stuff. So I'm not going to go there myself, but as I said, if the devs think they can shoehorn it in, fine - I just won't buy it.
    Quick question... why does the Rift community treat Warcraft the like the spawn of satan? Everyone refers to it as "the other MMO" as if saying Warcraft will summon the horsemen of the apocalypse.

Anyways, I liked how the Monk played when it went live. It was a highly mobile combatant with a "offense and defense" idea behind it. Not my favorite iteration off the Monk, but not bad. Now something like the D3 Monk would be pretty enjoyable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2