+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Shard Restart again?

  1. #16
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    I would think the majority of us use Win 7 or 8, very few would still be using vista, Morning reset, is the least populous time.. much better than a 4-7 pm server reset.. seems to me their doing their best to effect the least amount of gamers.

  2. #17
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Don't restart the shards. Laugh at the people for using Vista in the first place. /facepalm

  3. #18
    Rift Disciple Saido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mics001 View Post
    I doubt the number of people using vista can be called "Many" but dont worry mate i understand you vista users, but i hope lesson learned here just move the downtime where there are no guilds doing there own activities be it american,oceanic,EU etc...im sure there are no guilds raiding around 1-6am server time.
    So here's the thing: guilds are aware this has been going on, and you're given advance notice -- why not shift your raid time temporarily? Is that truly going to cause such a hardship?

    The other option is for Trion to restart the servers every 23 hours (thus shifting the downtime each day.) Better to piss off a fresh batch of people each day?
    Last edited by Saido; 06-14-2015 at 06:56 AM.

  4. #19
    Ascendant Aranka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    I skipped Vista since it was proclaimed garbage before it was released to the stores.. So I never bothered about it and went from 98 SE to W7 on release.

    The laptop I do have that came with Vista does not meet the overall reqs to play Rift at a decent level, so I don't bother with that either.

    I do understand Trion wants to see Vista players able to play the game, so I do get the daily restart. I just do not understand why they did not put that in MotD... so EVERYBODY, including those not reading the forums, would be aware of what is going on.

    And perhaps for the week let some 20% bonus go around to compensate a little for lost time? And maybe extend the world event for a week, so people can get their hunts done and not be bothered by the downtime that screws up game experience?

    Since not everybody is living in the same time zone and/or playing at the same time or raids at/after 4pm server.. (it is 4pm+ European time now) it does hurt more people than may seem at first.. After all, it is weekend and a lot play at different times during weekend than they would during the weekdays.

  5. #20
    Shadowlander clamknuckels's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    47

    Default

    if a shard is a physical server cannot they reboot them one at a time?
    then create a Vista server that reboots every 24 hours for those people who cannot update to win7?

    BTW it went down at 10:30 am here on the east coast
    Last edited by clamknuckels; 06-14-2015 at 07:02 AM.

  6. #21
    Plane Touched RealRyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurentia View Post
    To be fair, most of the AA screwups were on the fault of XL Games, not Trion. Trion localized it, but the actual security issues with the game had nothing to do with them.
    You haven't played AA on release, have you?

    -The 4k+ queue as a patron, have you been one of them patienly waiting 6-12 hours just to log into the game and getting dc'ed after 10 minutes and requeue again for another 6-12hours? NOT a securoty issue.

    -The 6hours to 4days server downtimes, have you been one of them people who were lucky enough to be on vacation during the incident?

    -The promise of 10% discount on shop items for patrons, which was completely forgotten or ignored because of an apparent typo in the advertisement?

    -The ultimate "let's give hackers their properties back fck-up" from the very producer himself incident. Were you one of the lucky people who profited from it?

    -The upcoming server merges because of fail "management" fck-up. Have you ignored it?


    What I'm trying to say is, what is currently happening in RIFT is just not that bad compared to AA's. However, the mismanagement is credited to Trion in all cases. Not to mention the "let's screw over melee players again and again until there are no more" - management, but that's another case.

  7. #22
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisakaMikoto View Post
    1. I have no offense but even though its time when least people are online, me and my guildies have been serious disrupted of these restart, as we are probably the largest chinese raiding guild on the server, we are 15 hours ahead of the server time (GMT+8), and the restart time 7:30am means 10:30 pm for us which is just around our raiding time, we have missed a kill in hk on friday, shifted rof from saturday to sunday yet again to monday, doing ms group2 today and tomorrow, which means hk shifted all the way to monday as well but since theres going to be a restart tomorrow again, that kill i guess isn't gona happen this week.

    2. I know trion is working hard for this and since you mentioned vista user cant do anything, why not switch over your OS to a new version, Windows 10 just released and theres win 7 and 8, i literally dont see a reason why you shouldn't update your OS, we have more than a full raid of 20 people disrupted and and yet we didn't do anything wrong, when you can simply switch to win7 or others to solve the problem and you dont, i dont see how this is a good management seriously.

    3. For whatever reason that you might have such as win 7 is expensive, cracked version are available and runs the game fine, win 7 also have high compatibility in softwares and games than vista, comes in many version ultimate/profession etc... Theres absolutely no point you should still be using vista, just as previous professionals said, Vista Is A Failed System in Many Terms.
    Haha did you just suggest using cracked OS in a public format that isn't related cracking, ect? I can't believe you suggested that they obtain a crack that allows them to use Win7 perfectly fine and registers the OS as genuine with microsoft. Might as well tell them to google it or something while you are at it. Shame on you sir, shame.

  8. #23
    Rift Chaser Egregore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dark Hand of Valor
    Posts
    345

    Lightbulb Reality Check!

    I'd rather opt for the restarts in RIFT to hotfix minor to major issues. I have played some other mmorpgs where quite frankly it took months or even years to fix the smallest to the largest of issues. I would be thankful that this team in Trion, even since the beginning of this game, are quick to react to coding and response time to tickets. I am not trying to sound like a fanatic of this game, as I am a casual to hardcore player. Be patient folks as it is only less than 1 hour whilst other games sometimes take even up to a day or more to fix their game's issues.

  9. #24
    Plane Touched mics001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saido View Post
    So here's the thing: guilds are aware this has been going on, and you're given advance notice -- why not shift your raid time temporarily? Is that truly going to cause such a hardship?

    The other option is for Trion to restart the servers every 23 hours (thus shifting the downtime each day.) Better to piss off a fresh batch of people each day?

    I wish its very easy to persuade people to show on shift raid times, i dont know if you ever tried to lead a guild,a raid or maybe a group of people but trust me persuading 19 other people to dedicate a time specially just for a game is very very hard unless youre a hardcore guild that is persuing for a world first which is not the case for us.
    Last edited by mics001; 06-14-2015 at 09:07 AM.

  10. #25
    Rift Chaser MisakaMikoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saido View Post
    So here's the thing: guilds are aware this has been going on, and you're given advance notice -- why not shift your raid time temporarily? Is that truly going to cause such a hardship?

    The other option is for Trion to restart the servers every 23 hours (thus shifting the downtime each day.) Better to piss off a fresh batch of people each day?
    Dispite advance notice were given even though we didn't got that, majority of the player do have job and other things to do, thus weekend raiding is probably the only time and again finding another acceptable time for all of the 20 people together and possibly 1 or 2 more for backup is impossible, who you think we are? students on vacation? i have no comment for that stupid idea..
    Pupueffekt@Laethys TD 4/4 IROTP 4/4
    Orphanage - Laethys Rift美服华人工会 You can you up, No can no bb

  11. #26
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    I skipped Vista since it was proclaimed garbage before it was released to the stores.. So I never bothered about it and went from 98 SE to W7 on release.

    The laptop I do have that came with Vista does not meet the overall reqs to play Rift at a decent level, so I don't bother with that either.

    I do understand Trion wants to see Vista players able to play the game, so I do get the daily restart. I just do not understand why they did not put that in MotD... so EVERYBODY, including those not reading the forums, would be aware of what is going on.

    And perhaps for the week let some 20% bonus go around to compensate a little for lost time? And maybe extend the world event for a week, so people can get their hunts done and not be bothered by the downtime that screws up game experience?

    Since not everybody is living in the same time zone and/or playing at the same time or raids at/after 4pm server.. (it is 4pm+ European time now) it does hurt more people than may seem at first.. After all, it is weekend and a lot play at different times during weekend than they would during the weekdays.
    Technically Trion doesn't want Vista uses to play or they would have worked the game not to go to 1 fps when enough people show up. I love graphics but I want to at least see what is going on when the time comes.

    I wonder cpu/gfx card has to process things such as players eyeball movement and tree's swaying and how much of that has an impact on my game?

    My understanding is games still have to process graphics if its in the zone of processing, even if you are not looking at it.

  12. #27
    Plane Walker ArcticGypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clamknuckels View Post
    create a Vista server that reboots every 24 hours for those people who cannot update to win7?

    BTW it went down at 10:30 am here on the east coast
    Interesting temp fix for the issue until they can get it fixed. Though if they did that, we will get all the vista players complaining they will be away from friends / guildmates etc. No winning for Trion.

  13. #28
    Rift Chaser MisakaMikoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitfangs View Post
    Haha did you just suggest using cracked OS in a public format that isn't related cracking, ect? I can't believe you suggested that they obtain a crack that allows them to use Win7 perfectly fine and registers the OS as genuine with microsoft. Might as well tell them to google it or something while you are at it. Shame on you sir, shame.
    Yes im suggesting but only to give that guy some ideas, if Vista users really do want to play the game, They Can, it doesnt have to be using a cracked/hacked version etc.. but they can obtain a copyright version which i believe is quite cheap now though i never bought one, now im not saying that its a good way, its not a bad way either, its ways for people Who Really Wants To Play The Game, hey if vista users dont want to upgrade to win 7 to play the game fine, its fine i cant force you but again dont screw our raiders, think about other people too eh, i believe theres quite a lot raidings at 4,5,6am server time, majority of the oceanic players as mentioned earlier.
    Pupueffekt@Laethys TD 4/4 IROTP 4/4
    Orphanage - Laethys Rift美服华人工会 You can you up, No can no bb

  14. #29
    Rift Disciple Saido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisakaMikoto View Post
    Dispite advance notice were given even though we didn't got that, majority of the player do have job and other things to do, thus weekend raiding is probably the only time and again finding another acceptable time for all of the 20 people together and possibly 1 or 2 more for backup is impossible, who you think we are? students on vacation? i have no comment for that stupid idea..
    The News and Announcement Forum did have a post.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...6-14-15-a.html

    I am sorry for your loss.

    ETA: I do agree with Aranka: the server restarts should be mentioned in the MotD for those who don't read the forums.
    Last edited by Saido; 06-14-2015 at 07:16 AM.

  15. #30
    Prophet of Telara Kadeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    And, I;'m sure no one is in the Trion offices at 1-6 am. You go to work at 1 AM on a weekend that is SUPPOSED to be your day off. No, at least they are trying to balance the real lives of whomever has to do the restart and the players. The fewest raids are affected in the AM, within reasonable hours to ask a person to go to work on their day off.

    I know if my boss told me to work at 1 AM on Sunday, I'd say "Screw you, I'll be in at 7AM Sunday if you need me."
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts