+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Hammerknell IAs. First impressions of an "IA guy"

Default Hammerknell IAs. First impressions of an "IA guy"

***EDIT: Updated impressions after tuning/loot pass can be found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5059460***

I was vehement in the group I just left that feedback should find its way to the forums, good and bad, so this is me doing my part.

First off, I am SO HAPPY that this is happening! At first I thought it would only be the areas that I've seen in the chronicles, but no, this is a much more thorough tour of Hammerknell! Well done! I want to stress that I am generally positive and see this as a net gain for the game, and I want this feature to succeed and expand to other raid areas!

My major concern, as I thought it might be, is that these are not tuned to the "parallel soloing" ideal of the generally accepted instant adventure experience and expectation. Individual consequences or not, I loaded into the area and went immediately to 5% health. Now thankfully I'm in a paladin spec so I just healed myself, but still, whether that was a mentoring bug or related to the moving lasers in the hall at the time, not cool.

This leads to me to a side tangent that IAs are now enough of a thing that we need an "IA food," or more to the point a "mentor/sidekick food" sold by vendors, one that heals by percentages of current HPs, as my level 40something (true level) drinks didn't even move my level 65 health bar. If I missed one that's already sold by NPC's please let me know!

Tangent aside, yeah, IAs. Difficulty and death are all fine and dandy for "I messed up," but when the messing up is seemingly "you were in the room," even with RIFT's very generous and merciful death mechanics, that ate way at group morale pretty quickly.

Yes, the calls for heals were loud, with seemingly the entire group hovering around single digit percentages on a few occasions. I had to remind people that this was an IA, and healers may not be present or even listening to chat. That's reality.

Jumping series with knocking-off-the-ledge explosions are dirty pool, but that's a personal gripe that I won't go deep into.

The cries for "I died, summon me" were also loud. Many ignores were used, I'm sure.

There are basically, from my "IA experienced" perspective, two ways to do this content: open-ear'ed and thick skinned to learn the ropes, and then deaf as a post (so chat turned off) once you learn them. The chat is loud, angry, helpless, and "raid like," which, for a raid zone, might seem normal, but this is an inclusive "dude might have just got out of tutorial" content direction.

Again, this is a net gain for the game, but be mindful that this is something that someone can join being brand new to RIFT. It doesn't need to be pablum content, but it can stand a little more intuitive of a learning curve not reliant on the group to teach, because I don't know about the consensus, but I've never joined an IA to teach mechanics to someone, and we can't expect chat logs to be unfiltered to each other if this is going to be the culture. The "don't waste my time" will creep in, and it will get ugly. And then it will get quiet, one player at a time, stumbling around in the sweet silence of ignore/custom chat panes.

I also hope that the "non-participation" timer is more lax in here, as there was a definite feel of "get there before the other guy" objectives in non-combat-active areas, so we couldn't keep ourselves in the "rewarded" pool by killing stuff if need be. I never dropped out of reward relevance, but I spent a lot of time losing races to this or that interactable item.

One final point, be mindful that hammerknell is indeed longer, in a single tour, than your 14 daily "random" rewards (which are shared with the HK queue), that's totally ok with me, but keep in mind that some people will just do their 14 and get out. If it's longer than 30 (the weekly,) the same warning applies.

I will likely be back, but less one-shotting and more "this is how you get past this guy" coming from THE GAME would be really valuable. Remember, we have no choice as to our team-mates (beyond who we queue with) and we cannot expect help or communication from each other in the form of heals, summons or lessons. This is the reality of instant adventures, and I hope this content fits there, because it was pretty fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by Omedon; 05-13-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Tales from the Void: http://omedon.tumblr.com

Plane Touched

I was super excited when I saw that this finally went live.

And then I queued for it.

And died 7 times to Vladmal Prime, because he apparently has a mechanic where he kills everyone not close to him or something, and someone kept aggroing him while we were all running back from respawning.

I never even got to see anything else in terms of "Adventure." Literally, just 7 deaths as I was trying to make the run to him. I was often 3 or 4 rooms away from him, and still getting hit with instant death.

So yeah, not a great first impression at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dannuck View Post

And died 7 times to Vladmal Prime, because he apparently has a mechanic where he kills everyone not close to him or something,
    This is about where I left as well (Dailies were done and I had to go to work) and yeah, lots of death. If the mechanic is "stay close," and he kills people, and people run back... I'm not a fan of this mechanic for an IA... IF that's indeed the mechanic.

Again, in an IA, there are no ready checks, there is no "don't pull yet," because "you're not the bossa me" is the reality. These IAs will have that same reality thrust upon them.
    Last edited by Omedon; 05-07-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

The thing with Vladmal Prime is actually a bug - that attack is supposed to have a 20m radius. It accidentally got an extra zero on it. >.<
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

This would make a great pug raid. Have the bosses drop sparkles like the holiday event did and when you have enough sparkles you get a random chest.

Might be a better fit for this than the IA category.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    The thing with Vladmal Prime is actually a bug - that attack is supposed to have a 20m radius. It accidentally got an extra zero on it. >.<
    Went ahead and powered through that encounter, and ended up doing the rest of the entire instance.

I gotta say, I like it. The flow of it was nice. A few "trash mob" adventures, a collection adventure or 2, and you're fighting a boss. Then move to another area, fight some trash, clear some obstacles, fight a boss. I had about 2.5 groups the entire run, and pretty much the same group the entire time. It flowed well. Occasionally there'd be a wipe or some deaths, but nothing so discouraging as to cause people to start accusing each other of "bad."

This was a lot of fun, guys. Thanks for all the hard work. I actually kinda feel like I got to see HK, now. I never did get to see the original version, and I know there were certain things different, but honestly, being such a lore nerd, this really appealed to me, once I got past that original encounter that was so discouraging.

Rift Chaser

Queue.
    Join Raid.
    Die instantly (maybe I fell in something? was no indication)
    Soul Walk
    Get AE knockbacked
    Die instantly
    Respawn on other side of zone with no clue how to get back'

Say "screw this", quit group, join normal IA

Quote Originally Posted by dannuck View Post
    Went ahead and powered through that encounter, and ended up doing the rest of the entire instance.

I gotta say, I like it. The flow of it was nice. A few "trash mob" adventures, a collection adventure or 2, and you're fighting a boss. Then move to another area, fight some trash, clear some obstacles, fight a boss. I had about 2.5 groups the entire run, and pretty much the same group the entire time. It flowed well. Occasionally there'd be a wipe or some deaths, but nothing so discouraging as to cause people to start accusing each other of "bad."

This was a lot of fun, guys. Thanks for all the hard work. I actually kinda feel like I got to see HK, now. I never did get to see the original version, and I know there were certain things different, but honestly, being such a lore nerd, this really appealed to me, once I got past that original encounter that was so discouraging.
    I'm glad to hear that things get better after Prime, I hope to go back on a non work day to feel the place out more, and I'm glad your group was friendlier than mine was!
    Last edited by Omedon; 05-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathadon View Post
    Queue.
    Join Raid.
    Die instantly (maybe I fell in something? was no indication)
    Soul Walk
    Get AE knockbacked
    Die instantly
    Respawn on other side of zone with no clue how to get back'

Say "screw this", quit group, join normal IA
    I absolutely think that more thought needs to be put into placement of entry/respawning/teleport-in locations in regards to the area mechanics happening around them.

I'm noticing a lot of players dying, especially mentored-up ones, very few heals (to none) but not much chatter in raid chat. Was also in Molinar's room, did 2 adventures before we were ported to Murdantix room.

I definitely feel like we were getting a lot higher rotation of players coming in and out. Some of the low-level players probably looked at the hp of the mobs and gave up, and those doing IA weekly realised it's the slowest IA 'zone' in the game and left. Only people still up were likely those looking for a more challenging IA, those who've never been in HK or those looking to get the 7-adventures-done achievement.

If there are chase items, it would probably encourage more players to go into the HK IAs if they knew what the chase items were and how to obtain them.
    I'm also not noticing any additional rewards, but I recall Tacitus mentioning that those rewards won't come in until the week after HK IA launch (so next week).
    Last edited by Jonus; 05-07-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Soulwalker

The part in the library to destroy the Death Spines broke at 19/26. No one could interface with them. When the quest timed out all the doors shut and no one could get to the next part. Also i did 20+ quests and received no Commendations.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Caydrian View Post
    The part in the library to destroy the Death Spines broke at 19/26. No one could interface with them. When the quest timed out all the doors shut and no one could get to the next part. Also i did 20+ quests and received no Commendations.
    You don't get the commendations as loot. You get the adventure chests in your rift loot box, and the commendations are in those.

Telaran

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

No one will being doing these by tomorrow.

I killed 3 bosses and received zero loot for it. I got a couple of nightmare chest from other adventures. These IA bosses are a step up from normal IA bosses and the loot needs to scale up or even exist. Fix the rewards or watch it never be used.

Quote Originally Posted by clymene View Post
    Fix the rewards or watch it never be used.
    There should be additional currency rewards, level-appropriate gear drops (with 65s upgradeable) and perhaps even a chase item. However, these will be added in next week according to Tacitus' post earlier in the week:

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    It is true, though the increased rewards are going to lag for a week behind the release of HK IA. The plan right now is to pay out a bit better on currency etc, but also a chance to get level scaled-down versions of the gear that is dropped in the normal raid, with the lvl 65 versions being upgradable.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Nothing showing up for many of us to teleport to HK on Greybriar.
    No one is staying in a raid long enough for me to ask for a friend summon lol
    So looking forward to this content and the awesome rewards install *holds breath*
    Very odd seeing the achievement board for this chronicle blank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast