+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: More challenge for newer players; a Difficulty option

Default More challenge for newer players; a Difficulty option

I've got four level 24 characters with about 57 hours of total game time. I play either solo or with a couple friends. And I feel the game still doesn't have even of a challenge past a couple instances in dungeons. But given the relatively small amount available, the rest of the content (questing, instant adventures, etc..) seems too easy to be interesting for experienced gamers.

Star Trek Online did a good job of allowing extra challenge from the get-go. In the Quest Log you could choose a difficulty that made the quests tougher, but also rewarded you with extra money and experience. And it was actually difficult, especially for a solo player, but it was still doable.

I'd love to see something like that make it into Rift. While you can impose a degree of difficulty using mentoring, it's difficult to find other people willing to impart the same kind of difficulty since the rewards for doing so aren't clearly labeled (as far as I can tell you only get extra XP).

It could be as simple as having a group setting that asks people joining your group to mentor back 5 levels or so for the extra challenge (and XP), but preferably it'd be something you could queue up for (maybe an Hard IA queue).

While it would be nice to be able to do that everywhere, they at least have it set so you can change the difficulty of dungeons. More info for you Here

Phs

Level 24 and you're complaining about Rift being easy? That's a nice contrast to people complaining raiding is hard. Just keep playing. You haven't even seen the whole game, let alone all the dungeons/chronicles/zones.
    Last edited by Phs; 04-22-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Soulwalker

As a new player to Rift myself, but one who's a WoW veteran...

Whenever I feel like I'm not being pressured enough by the quest mobs, I pull more of them until I do.

Pulling enough stuff that I have to pay attention is about the same as having the stuff in question get artificially inflated stats.
    Last edited by Cenerae; 04-22-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Champion of Telara

Increased difficulty doesn't exist in overworld solo content. Once you reach level 50, you can access Chronicles which are solo/duo instances. Those are a nice challenge for a start. Then you also have group quests which are hard to find a group for, especially the Sagas. Then you also have Major Rifts which are designed for groups but can be soloed with appropriate actions at level (or 2-3 levels above the Rift). You can also mentor down to create artificial difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Phs View Post
    Level 24 and you're complaining about Rift being easy? That's a nice contrast to people complaining raiding is hard. Just keep playing. You haven't even seen the whole game, let alone all the dungeons/chronicles/zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    Increased difficulty doesn't exist in overworld solo content. Once you reach level 50, you can access Chronicles which are solo/duo instances. Those are a nice challenge for a start. Then you also have group quests which are hard to find a group for, especially the Sagas. Then you also have Major Rifts which are designed for groups but can be soloed with appropriate actions at level (or 2-3 levels above the Rift). You can also mentor down to create artificial difficulty.
    That's just it. I don't think I'm going to make it to level 50 if the difficulty isn't going to increase anytime soon. I'd probably just get too bored and find something else to play.

Champion of Telara

I don't think there exists any MMO with hard difficulty in overworld quests. Grindy definitely, but not hard.

57 hours into game
    4 level 24s
    Game is to easy
    57 hours and not one character half way to max. But the game is to easy.

I can't be the only one who see's the flaw in this logic.

You either never played a MMO or I don't know.

MMOs (most of them) have an easy time levelling, mostly because once you reach endgame things get hard > raids.

Solo content is NOT for a MMO, you get that on Pillars of Eternity or whatever game you like.

You want hard content? Go raids, maybe Chronicles (not super geared) and that's about it.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rolien View Post
    57 hours into game
    4 level 24s
    Game is to easy

Don't forget that first impressions are very important. And let's be honest, what solo quests have caused us trouble while levelling outside the one in Goboro Reef that had 4 NPCs protecting the objective without being able to fight them one at a time and the ones in south Draumheim where you fought Regulos?

I also know that telling someone to create the challenge themselves by deliberately (spelling?) handicapping themselves isn't an attractive idea. I know I can make it harder by unequipping gear or mentoring down to 3 levels below the monsters etc, but that doesn't exactly feel like an accomplishment either personally. It's not different than saying "If you find Pacman easy, try to play it by only taking left turns and not using the pipes". We like having to use all the tools we have in our disposal for challenges, not select which ones to ignore to make it a challenge.

However, questing/levelling is just a part of the game. As many say, the game starts at the level cap. And also, depending on the player again, it's fun to see what group content I can solo or how far I can get. Soloing older instances, closing Major Rifts without failing a timer/dps check by using a spec with just enough healing to keep me alive etc.

Also, I'd like to know if there is a game with "hard" solo levelling content. Because if there is, the solution to that is grinding lower level monsters, which is exactly that: a grind, not difficulty. Difficulty is when there is absolutely no way to pass an objective except tackle that objective at your current state. This only exists, afaik, to games with prohibited or limited backtracking.
    Last edited by Dark Mits; 04-22-2015 at 01:07 PM.

For better or worse open world leveling is geared toward "lowest common denominator" soloing. Meaning people with bad builds and mouse-clicking to attack can get through with minimal deaths.

If you want the equivalent of a "hardmode" what you need to do is skip past a bunch of the content you're currently doing and move to a harder zone. If you do every story quest and carnage quest (kill 10 of monster x) along the way you're always going to be way overpowered vs. the zone you're fighting in and it'll be incredibly easy, as you've seen.

What you might try is pushing forward 5 levels on one character using the quest line so you see all the content and know what's where, then for your other characters skip ahead by 2 or 3 levels of content. That way you're still seeing everything (on your first char) but creating your own challenge on your other three.

it would be neat if they added the chronicle 'hard mode' orbs to dungeons just for fun. Assuming they're so easy to script no one will mind no one really using them since adding rewards would mess everything up.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 04-23-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolien View Post
    57 hours into game
    4 level 24s
    Game is to easy

Thats what i thought too while reading.
    Try to reach lvl 65 and then random queue for an Expert Instance and you will see how difficult it is especially with 2+ Briselol in your group.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    Also, I'd like to know if there is a game with "hard" solo levelling content.
    There was one, you can try google The Chronicles of Spellborn. Towards the end it was nerfed somewhat because of the rivers of tears on the forums. But at the start it was awesome. Passing Ringfell at lvl 16 made me so ridiculously proud of myself no game ever did or will come close to.

Example of "hard" there was a lot of crying about:
    I had a DoT spell on my RM that was very powerful but had a side effect - any melee coming into a contact with dotted mob would catch that DoT on themselves. You could kill your team mates, random passers by and even NPCs (I still have a screenie of friendly NPC dying at my feet for trying to help somewhere, yes I know I am mean ).
    So it basically meant you had to use your head and pay attention to what is going on instead of randomly spamming buttons. And that was "too hard".

Rift used to be difficult to quest in. You'd die if you pulled more than 2 mobs, generally. If you turned your back to a mob they'd debuff you with a snare and increased damage taken. The game had fall damage.

If you're looking for a challenge, Rift is probably not the game for you. They have been chipping away at any source of difficulty here for years now, and it's mostly gone. Even the raids are easy. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a game for you. These days people don't want a challenge, they want a cakewalk with fat loot at the end. And that's what companies provide.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast