+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Make the Sparkle Quest permanent

Telaran

What I do see is players who have been a part of this community for a long time - since subscription days, since launch - banging their head into a desk asking why a game whose main attraction for many of them was the complexity of builds, the flexibility of roles, the challenge of it - is slowly being streamlined into zero effort for people too lazy to want a challenge.
    No, I seriously want a challenge, but I don't want a challenge I have no chance of overcoming, that is why I'd love a bit more gear to enable my guild to move forward and take on some raid bosses, I love raiding.
    I'm raid ready, a lot of my guild isn't and anything that boosts them up helps, if it boosts them up by more than an expert drop it means that's one less expert epic that needs to drop, and the sooner we can move into raids.

Otherwise I guess we just wait for them to be nerfed.
    Spate -- Rebuke -- Yell
    DAWN ETERNAL -- Casual Guild on Gelidra -- RoF:2/4 -- MS:1/4
    http://dawn-eternal.net/

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by EU Yell View Post
    No, I seriously want a challenge, but I don't want a challenge I have no chance of overcoming, that is why I'd love a bit more gear to enable my guild to move forward and take on some raid bosses, I love raiding.
    I'm raid ready, a lot of my guild isn't and anything that boosts them up helps, if it boosts them up by more than an expert drop it means that's one less expert epic that needs to drop, and the sooner we can move into raids.

Otherwise I guess we just wait for them to be nerfed.
    This problem comes due to the massive grindwall that is called "Experts". But seriously, every of your guildmate should have just spent the time for gaining sparkles in farming experts. The value of one raid item is completly insignificant to a complete Expert gearset. When you are ready, help your guildmates, try to rush them through, give them the benefit of being in a guild with you.

Sparkles Quest gave nearly nothing to anyone. I hope Trion never does anything like that anymore. Hardcore player got three boxes, that they mostly did not need because they allready are raiding. Casuals got one box, that they mostly did not need because they are still missin the majority of gear.

And the only thing Trion got for this quest was a massive poostorm on the forums.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by N3okorrales View Post
    Quoting someone NOT from apo.
    "God forbid you actually raid to get raid drops"
    You're right... lets see:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    God forbid you actually raid to get raid drops.
    < Trinity > End Game Raiding | Greybriar
    Progression: 20man : Bulf(NA 1st)~Jinoscoth(NA 2nd)~Izkinra(NA 1st)~The Yrlwalach(NA 1st)~Threngar(NA 1st)
    Nerd Points: http://i.imgur.com/rwxuj6C.png
    So the top NA guild agrees with the top EU guild? Wow... that's a surprise!

For the record, I do not think this quest should be weekly. Or even monthly. But there should be a way for pvp players to be able to compete on equal footing against a raid geared player. This is the reason I support a quest like this in game. Having it come up during world events would be fine in my book. They are far enough apart that players won't get burned out, a grind for a few weeks (when the world event is going on) I don't think its a bad thing.

This quest is not perfect. I'm sure Trion would love to hear suggestions. Ideally, there should be pvp gear and raid gear path. With gear unification, Trion already said that's not going to happen. So now all players pull from the same pool of gear and (for better or worse) this is what they came up with.

My complaint with some of the posters are, they acknowledge there's a discrepancy between pvp and pve. And they not only believe it's OK that such a gear gap exist, it's their right and demand that Trion keep such a gap in place.

No, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by N3okorrales View Post
    You want raid gear? kill raid bosses.
    yeah...you want PVP gear, play PVP....oh wait...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by EU Yell View Post
    Who here saying there shouldn't be a regular (not weekly because that would be too much, but regular, perhaps a one off per world event) are NOT from apotheosys?
    Since you asked... I am not from Apotheosys. In fact I'm in a personal guild with my wife alone, and the last raids I set foot in was in Vanilla Rift; I did neither raid in SL, nor in NT.

But anyhow I'm still against the idea to give out raid quality items for insanely stupid, grindy, and repetitive open world activities. Why? Because in the first place there should be no insanely stupid, grindy, and repititive open world activities in the game at all; and if they are, players should not be encouraged to do them by showing them the shiny epic RNG box at the end of the grind.

And though I'm nothing but some super casual nowadays, my point still stands: if you want raid-level equip, then get yourself a raid place and earn the equip you long for.

Soulwalker

Pretty much the issue as i see it with these sparkles all come from it was way too early to implement it. Most casual guilds still haven't cleared RoF and have max killed 1 boss in MS. On my server Threngar is still unkilled.

With the launch set for oct 22nd has barely been out for more than 2 months. Yet for some reason raid gear is being given out (Yes i will call it raid gear, it drops from raid bosses). This is way too soon they haven't even released all of the raids for t1 yet so there will most likely be quite a bit of time before t2 will happen. Yet we are being rushed through t1 with gear being given out for free. In my guild the main issue atm is that there's simply nothing to do, i've only been played for a bit over a month during this nightmare tide but i have nothing to do when i log on, there's weeklies on wedensday and they'll most likely be done by latest friday as they don't take long. Reputation farming went fairly smooth too, there's nothing to be done. The only thing there's really to do for the PvE community is to do daily expert/wf and raid. However raiding has pretty much come down to "lets hope a weapon drops this week" as most people have gotten quite a bit of gear and only need 1-2 odd pieces of gear + a weapon.

As such i don't see why we need more gear thrown at us. I get that the casuals wan't gear sure opening a box and getting something useful is awesome, yet the way this was all implemented with world boss tagging and waiting for boss to spawn at the portilicum it just all seems stupid. I did the quest the first week it came out and i did quite frankly not see why you would alter the ratio of sparkles gained. The quest was not supposed to be done on a weekly basis it was mostly supposed to be something that would be completed every 2-3 weeks as intended and as such this whole sparkle event went crucially wrong.

I do believe this sparkle quest thingy have potential but i do not see why it should be implemented so soon after release. More so it could be implemented at a later point (around the time t2 comes out) so people would have ways to catch up at that point. There's nothing wrong with taking it slow and enjoying the game by just casually raiding. There's honestly no need to throw this sparkle quest at us at this point, you just feel forced to do it to help the guild out by having a chance to gain some useful gear which in the end all depends on RNG.

Then again a large factor of why the sparkle quest and the loot system as a whole is failing is due to the RNG drops instead of having tokens. It's been stated time upon time that people are not fond of RNG, i'd rather grind more sparkles and be guaranteed an item of my choice than having a chance of getting something i'd like. More so this is not only an issue with sparkle it's an issue with the loot system as a whole.

The true issue with the sparkle quest though is that outside raiding there's currently no way to gain gear, i do not understand the logic behind the removal of PvP gear. Pretty much what it's turned into is that instead of the people who could PvP and spent time PvPing were doing great not some guy comes in full raiding and does better simply due to gear, even though most PvE players are so horribly bad at PvP it's painfull to watch.

As such something needs to be done in the eyes of the people who wish to PvP, but i do not believe the sparkle quest is the way to go. If at all the sparkle quest should be implemented i'd say it should only drop hearts. But then again that would be useless for PvP players and only help the PvE players as relic gear gets bolstered down (didn't stop you from making it an RNG drop in CQ though)!.

TL;DR no sparkle quest should not be permanent it should as a maximum be kept as a way to get some T1 loot once T2 comes out allowing people to catch up.

Telaran

The original idea behind this quest is good (I do not for one moment believe Trion was being sadistic in adding this quest, though for the particular designer who initially added only 1 sparkle per event, I am not sure haha):

1/ It allows non-raiders to have a chance of getting BiS (or near BiS) gear.
    2/ It encourages players to participate more in the game such as experts, WFs, CQs, world events etc.
    3/ It helps to close the gap between hardcore raiders and casual raiders. Better gear means better stats, and generally assists non-hardcore guild in progressing raid content.

Although I am grateful for the extra loot (and more grateful that Trion did not attach some sort of credit strings on this quest - seriously I do appreciate that a lot, Trion), I have a lot of reservations on keeping this quest monthly or even bi-monthly. The completion of the quest requires only time but absolutely no skill whatsoever. To grant such players a chance of getting BiS gear is simply not what an mmorpg should be about. In fact, the skill level is so low that even someone who has the IQ of a monkey can get a chance to get BiS gear by walking up to a boss and hit a button to autoattack it. How can this be considered a fair reward?

If Trion intends to make this a permanent quest, I suggest the reward needs to change to one of the following:

1/ Weekly quest with much reduced sparkles requirement - Grants a relic supply crate with a small chance of a Heart of the Frozen

2/ Monthly/weekly quest - Grants say 500-1000 FoH marks per month (which should not be counted in the weekly cap). Reward to be adjusted if weekly.

3/ Monthly quest - Gives an expert tier epic ring of your class with random stats with a small chance of giving a raid tier epic ring with random stats. The drop should be BoP. (I suggest ring because as far as I am aware, there are no epic ring drops in experts nor could epic rings be crafted).

As we can see, these are all rewards which should be useful to the vast majority of players (both hardcore raiders and casuals), but not infringe too much on the principle that only the skilled players should be able to obtain the best gear.

Last but not least, please do make this quest less grindly if the rewards are adjusted above. All 3 options above give a reward less rewarding than the current sparkle chest and the time we should need to complete the new quest ought to be lowered as well.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lekritos1 View Post
    There's honestly no need to throw this sparkle quest at us at this point, you just feel forced to do it to help the guild out by having a chance to gain some useful gear which in the end all depends on RNG.
    This is a big thing as well that people don't realize. I can look at the sparkle quest and ask myself: Am I gonna spend around 20 hours this week for a less than 50% at something useful? I don't tank and I already have some dps gear, so really there is a pretty big chance that the chest will be completely useless to me. But still I'm gonna do it because its a way to improve my character, and I would feel like I'm letting my guild down if I don't.

Shield of Telara

To me, instead of this Sparkle quest, having the SL DD weekly reward scaled up to level 65 or making a similar set of world raid quests in NT zone sounds more reasonable.
    The DD reward boxes contained the expert/raid currency and had a very low chance of giving out raid-level gear. Disregarding the lag, the fights and rewards were pretty nicely laid out there.
    Last edited by Tenof; 01-07-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetar View Post
    2/ It encourages players to participate more in the game such as experts, WFs, CQs, world events etc.
    "Forces"... not encourages. I bet you 99% of the people doing events over Christmas wish they weren't.

When I heard the quest was in for another week, I wanted to throw up.

Trion puts cap on currencies to not make people burn themselves out on farming and to avoid people getting things too fast. Then they add a quest that makes the grind for Infinity Stones in SL feel like something fun you did and with raid items as reward. Such logic....

Oh and btw, I'm not in Apotheosys. Yet I think this quest was a silly idea.

Shadowlander

No, No, for the love of all that is holy, no.

Sparkle quest is brilliant for for the occasional special event, but should not run for more than 2 weeks a couple of times a year.

I'm sure many people have already pointed out the "too much of a good thing" effects this will have, why raid when you can get all raid gear without, why play rift if all you do is chase events to tag boss (boring boring boring), so much to do, so much to see and all missed because one event quest takes over the game.

A little is fantastic, a lot is unhealthy.

13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #178
    Rift Team

Two quick comments here.

33% of level 65 players completed this quest at least once.

For those of you that primarily raid - there will be good gear, potentially best in slot, coming from other sources, via other methods, by playing the game. BiS gear is not "owned" by raiders or raiding.

~Daglar

Moar sparkles.

Not like it's forced content, even if it's completed once every 2 weeks (pretty easy) it's still free raid gear.

I think the weeklies should grant more sparkles though. like 20 per at least.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Two quick comments here.

33% of level 65 players completed this quest at least once.

For those of you that primarily raid - there will be good gear, potentially best in slot, coming from other sources, via other methods, by playing the game. BiS gear is not "owned" by raiders or raiding.

~Daglar
    I made this quest 6 items (gonna be 8 if ill do this week as well) and 5/6 was tank loot... not even a weapon just some crap.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast