+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: What's with the Indian Spam anyway?

Rift Disciple

Unfortunately, there are programs to get around captchas.....

BTW I just found out that there is a little triangular icon on the lower left corner of these postings which, if you click, will open a "report" option. I found that I could open this and just place the word Spam in the box then send. Mousing over the icon the tool tip says "report post".

Of course its a pain to do it to each one and you have to wait between reports for your posting timer to expire before doing the next one.

I don't know if it helps or not but seems like it would flag that specifically.
    Last edited by lynspottery; 12-14-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Rift Disciple

Only problem there is... who wants to go to each of the potentially highly numerous postings and report them all. Especially when they are so blatantly obvious to a viewer just from the topic alone. I would prefer an ignore topic button that blocks it, kinda like how y email works. CLick a bunch of boxes, then Ignore. All gone

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #19

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    it isn't hard to deal with, it just hasn't been dealt with. a captcha for making new threads would solve the issue.
    There are actually a number of these types of measures in place, along with reduced posting privileges for new accounts and outside services that are employed to remove the vast majority before it ever gets seen.

So that takes care of about 80% of it. The remaining 20% tends to need to be hand deleted, and we don't always have a moderator available for these forums. Hence why it becomes more visible at certain times of day on certain days of the week. This gets better and worse, depending on how savvy the spammers are at evading our restrictions.

If we had a stock vbulletin installation it would be easier to deal with some of this stuff, because we would have less security concerns on what we added to the forums and it would be easier to add things without breaking our custom work. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a stock forum solution that works for MMOs.

We have an engineer doing some work on the backend now to help address this issue and a few others, and once that work is completed we'll be ready to discuss it with you all. We don't like the spam (even if it only sticks around for a few hours, that's still too long). And it's going to keep going away.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    If we had a stock vbulletin installation it would be easier to deal with some of this stuff, because we would have less security concerns on what we added to the forums and it would be easier to add things without breaking our custom work. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a stock forum solution that works for MMOs.
    A forum that works for mmos? You lost me there. Can someone explain this bit?

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #21

Quote Originally Posted by Yali View Post
    A forum that works for mmos? You lost me there. Can someone explain this bit?
    So if you want a basic forum (for say a knitting club), it's pretty easy to just pick up a license and throw it up on a server. They make this very easy.

If you want any sort of custom integration to the game and our systems (such as associating a forum account with a glyph account) you need to make a bunch of back end changes on how the forum software works. The more you try and do, and the more you change, the harder it becomes to upgrade or use normally available add-ons.

Champion

I see... Thanks for your response

Soulwalker

This happens to pretty much every forum that has popularity, and it's getting close to a holiday too so there will be more of it.

Ascendant

If you want any sort of custom integration to the game and our systems (such as associating a forum account with a glyph account)
    The huge irony here of course is that probably only a small number of people want a Glyph account at all, so you could have saved your time doing this.

At the risk of sounding... a bit jingoistic, mayhaps there could be a special Level 65 Expert raid involving tracking down the spammers' internet service provider and disabling their internet facilities, then sneaking out undetected before the local authorities arrive.

As flexible as Rift Lore is, I think it can be worked into a storyline regarding counter-planar invasions with the Ascended going on the offensive into enemy realms for a change
    Aishlaya@Faeblight - Ph.D. Explosive Sheep Husbandry

Sick of elitism and guild drama?
    Join "Born on the Vaiyuu"
    All-purpose social guild for all levels (PvP/PvE/Raiding/RP/Bacon Explosions)

Champion

[...] integration to the game and our systems (such as associating a forum account with a glyph account) [...]
    Don't glyph accounts need to be confirmed by email addresses? I don't know what order you do the confirmation in but if you gave forum access to those people only who have a verified (confirmed) glyph account the problem would solve itself. Or am I missing something here...

Ascendant

I see today's spam run in currently in progress and as usual Trion are nowhere in sight.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Yali View Post
    Don't glyph accounts need to be confirmed by email addresses? I don't know what order you do the confirmation in but if you gave forum access to those people only who have a verified (confirmed) glyph account the problem would solve itself. Or am I missing something here...
    Not entirely. Most of the spam bots are actual people that get paid to do this. No bots have ever been able to read/complete the reCAPTCHA so it's real people that read and complete the reCAPTCHA then drop the spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Toreadors View Post
    At the risk of sounding... a bit jingoistic, mayhaps there could be a special Level 65 Expert raid involving tracking down the spammers' internet service provider and disabling their internet facilities, then sneaking out undetected before the local authorities arrive.

As flexible as Rift Lore is, I think it can be worked into a storyline regarding counter-planar invasions with the Ascended going on the offensive into enemy realms for a change
    Although this might be extremely popular with the player base, it could create more problems legally for Trion than it would be worth.

....sigh...too bad, raiding the "enemy base" would be hilarious and a lot of fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2