+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: To: GM and Developers. Please don't abandon PvP

Soulwalker

Talking To: GM and Developers. Please don't abandon PvP

Hi,
    I have recently started playing rift again. However I just want to make a point that I felt while playing the game.

About the PvP system, I see there are no more valor/vengeance attributes on the PvP gear. This is quite nice since I don't have to switch to PvP gear when queuing for the warfront and doing the PvE quest at the same time.

However on the other hand, I have spent most of the times playing PvP before the 3.0 patch in order to get the high ranked PvP gear which was Myrmidon's set.

Getting those high ranked PvP items were only the advantage compare to PvE users because I have the items that they don't have.

But after the 3.0 patch, PvE users can also que for the warfront with their PvE gear. I worked pretty hard to get those PvP items and PvE users play the warfront as if they have played PvP for a long time.

It's like.. I prepared for the final exam for a month and other people simply passes the exam with 1 hour of study.

Also PvP users don't get any advantage from high level PvP prestige.
    I won't complain because it's all past. B.U.T please don't abandon PvP and implement more PvP related system that only PvP users can purchase.

Thank you.
    Last edited by VirgoPentakill; 12-11-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VirgoPentakill View Post
    Hi,
    I have recently started playing rift again. However I just want to make a point that I felt while playing the game.

About the PvP system, I see there are no more valor/vengeance attributes on the PvP gear. This is quite nice since I don't have to switch to PvP gear when queuing for the warfront and doing the PvE quest at the same time.

However on the other hand, I have spent most of the times playing PvP before the 3.0 patch in order to get the high ranked PvP gear which was Myrmidon's set.

Getting those high ranked PvP items were only the advantage compare to PvE users because I have the items that they don't have.

But after the 3.0 patch, PvE users can also que for the warfront with their PvE gear. I worked pretty hard to get those PvP items and PvE users play the warfront as if they have played PvP for a long time.

It's like.. I prepared for the final exam for a month and other people simply passes the exam with 1 hour of study.

Also PvP users don't get any advantage from high level PvP prestige.
    I won't complain because it's all past. B.U.T please don't abandon PvP and implement more PvP related system that only PvP users can purchase.

Thank you.
    I think this change was one of the best thing that Trion did to PVP... because the way it used to be it was Armor vs. Armor NOT Player vs. Player. People were rewarded with the unequal advantage in the form of armor merely for being willing to die in warfront after warfront after warfront. This does not necessarily make you a good player (Though YOU may be!)

Since PVP should be a measure of how good a PLAYER you are, it should be no problem that they equalized the armor... because your weeks of studying will give you an A and the person who only studied a week will get a D (even though he passed)
    LETS BAND TOGETHER! WE ARE A COMMUNITY. A FAMILY OF GAMERS.
    Lots of bad stuff has happened to our family the last couple of months. Lets support each other through it.
    Lets stop tearing each other and Trion down. We can get past that bad stuff if we remain positive and work together!

Rift Chaser

I really believe that when everything settles down there will be a growth in both quality of PvP and amount of people participating. Change upsets people, but the status quo was making it nearly impossible to bring in new players or teams. PvP should be brutal, fast-paced, fun, and somewhat unpredictable. Getting killed in 2 seconds just because the other guy has trudged through a gearing system that was based on real-life time available rather than PvP skill isn't fun. And in a game that PvE with a side of PvE it makes sense to facilitate letting people run in their earned gear.

The equipment side of PvP is flatter now. Time for skill and teamwork to count.

Plane Walker

Personally I am excited about the gear changes. Although PvE is far from my favorite activity I'm the game, by combining the gear it has opened up a lot of new content to me that has kept me amused for a little bit.

My biggest grip about the gear change is the significant drop in the quality of PvP. This could be because people who mainly Pve are trying PvP for the first time and there is a learning curve, or the people who mainly Pve are already over geared so they think they know it all. My bet is the 2nd.

The best example I have comes from a CQ I was leading this morning. I called North to A, so what do they do? They go North to NF's base and get killed by the mega turrets.

Hopefully, the quality of PvP gets better fast, I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post

The best example I have comes from a CQ I was leading this morning. I called North to A, so what do they do? They go North to NF's base and get killed by the mega turrets.
    Exactly -- it's going to take time for people to learn all of the abbreviations and such that the established base takes for granted. How the community facilitates that learning will have a big impact on the quality going forward. This is a situation where a lot of people are being exposed to PvP for the first time, and being belittled by the "...you #&$#^@ stupid #*$#&@ losers #*$&%$^ that up..." isn't the way to hook them. New PvP players staying around will almost certainly lead to more dev dollars towards new PvP development.

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6

Quote Originally Posted by VirgoPentakill View Post
    B.U.T please don't abandon PvP and implement more PvP related system that only PvP users can purchase.

Thank you.
    Aside from a set of PvP specific gear, what sort of thoughts do you have? We're certainly not abandoning PvP, so the more ideas the team is presented with the better.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Aside from a set of PvP specific gear, what sort of thoughts do you have? We're certainly not abandoning PvP, so the more ideas the team is presented with the better.
    Some of the items that are available from PvP in the random boxes are very good. I don't really think that PvP needs more PvP specific gear, but an improvement to the way the current gear is obtainable would be nice.
    It's hidden behind a lot of rng, and a lot of the items that you can get from the boxes are very bad. Having some kind of token drop from the random chest and adding a vendor that lets you get any item you want for 100 tokens would go a long way to atleast taking out some of the randomness involved in acquiring the gear available from PvP.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Quote Originally Posted by Kendun View Post
    I really believe that when everything settles down there will be a growth in both quality of PvP and amount of people participating. Change upsets people, but the status quo was making it nearly impossible to bring in new players or teams. PvP should be brutal, fast-paced, fun, and somewhat unpredictable. Getting killed in 2 seconds just because the other guy has trudged through a gearing system that was based on real-life time available rather than PvP skill isn't fun. And in a game that PvE with a side of PvE it makes sense to facilitate letting people run in their earned gear.

what kind of growth do you expect when entire pvp guild left the game?
    the quality of pvp has taken a significant nose dive.

the gear issue is only not as bad now because everyone has started fresh. in six months time we'll be back in the same place we were before, with newbies getting pwned by those who have spent the time to farm pve.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

well, you could do something about the increase in the number of AFKers, make it easier to remove them (only require one player to mark an AFKer, not half the team) or to avoid them in future (add the LFG queue feature that excludes those you have on your ignore list from being grouped with you).

additionally, to keep players participating instead of giving up as soon as the other team gets a fifty point lead, you could add a feature similar to SWTOR battlefront system where you gain currency (voidstones?) for reaching certain benchmarks: every 100k damage, 5k/10k crits, every 100k healing done, 5/10/20 killing blows... you get the idea.
    I will admit that this idea will present some challenges due to the variety and mechanics of the souls available to players. but I'm sure the Rift Team thrives on a challenge. ;)

also, for the love of the Gods (or the Machines that Birthed us) lower the upgrade cost of merc gear!
    Last edited by Kronos v; 12-11-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

oh, and I forgot to mention:
    group players based on their ELO rank as a team, not as individuals. putting those with low ranks into the same matches as those with high ranks just makes it painful for everyone.
    such groups might still need to be a bit loose, but it would create a better pvp experience for everybody, both the good and the bad.

also, buff warriors (before Christmas please)
    Last edited by Kronos v; 12-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Champion of Telara

I'd like to suggest a Mastery type system that Prestige points can be spent in. These could be low impact abilities, ultimately allowing players to spend up to 100 Prestige Points:

10 Points for an extra Break Free
    1-5 Points to get +1 to +5% damage vs players
    1-5 Points to get +2% to +10% Movement Speed in PvP areas
    1-10 points to get +20 to +200 Stats
    15 Points to reveal all stealther players to the player for 5s

Stuff along those general lines would give meaning to Prestige ranks and allow customization. Just make it all very general and acting like gifts/passive so it's more like adding gear than a major redesign.

A second idea - Allow PvP Orbs from Dream Weaving that only work in PvP which allows players to optimize their gear for PvP while maintaining unification, or make the boosts gems added through Artificer.

A third idea - Keep the weekly currencies where they are, but increase the payouts in a way that some could cap at least through 75% PvP or 75% PvE

One more - Allow Favor to be converted to PvE Currency:

5 Favor for 1 Planarite
    10 Favor for 1 Void Stone
    100 Favor for 1 Abyssal Crusader's Mark
    500 Favor for 1 Fragment of Horror

Tie these conversions to the use of a plaque/mark that drops in WF and CQ chests. (Ie 1 PvP Plaque and 5,000 Favor get 50 ASMs.

Add additional metrics to the PvP boards for absorption, percent of kill blows, etc. Mark premade teams in Warfronts with a colored border.
    Last edited by Caeus; 12-11-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    Mark premade teams in Warfronts with a colored border.
    I'd suggest making premade players "fill" more player slots, giving pug teams a numerical advantage.

eg: each player in a
    duo = 1.5 pug players, so together they "fill" 3 player slots
    trio = 1.6 pug players, so together they fill 5 player slots
    4man = 1.75 pug players, so together they fill 7 player slots
    5man = 2 pug players, so together they fill 10 player slots

- Place a 5-10 second cooldown on in combat mana regeneration abilities.

- Give one Soul per Calling stealth detection. Example: Dominator- ward of detection, Beastmaster- Pet has an increased chance of detecting stealthed players, etc.

- Expanded mastery system affording players more ways to customize their character to fit their individual playstyle.

- Tone down healing + dispel abilities. Player should make a choice. Heal or dispel? Not both in one click of a button.
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kendun View Post

I'm going to disagree. PvE may get better, but their focus is not on PvP. The PvP player that's his primary focus and spends his progression PvPing. Raiders who will be top tier, are they going to spend time pvping to develop the skills? Grabbing stones/flags and running as far away from the opposing side, like Black Garden, hiding up near your spawn point fights slow to a crawl.

I don't oppose players running in their gear but give PvPers that opportunity within the gameplay they enjoy and don't say go play a fps. And to take away all that progression and turn it meaningless... that's just a kick in the you know where.

Take those prestige and favor boost vials out of those RNG boxes. They're meaning less now.

Morticus posted a question for crafting feedback, with apothecary as one of the areas for improvement. Why not use this as an opportunity for some useful pvp consumables that will help consume some of the excess materials in circulation. Example, craft a potion that allows the player's pet to sense a stealthed enemy within 10m, or a potion to cleanse all diseases, poisons, movement impairing effects, etc. I know there's an old-world one but a current one that uses Nightmare mats would be nice. The stealth detection would make certain souls more useful, such as BM, Necro, Elem, Druid, souls that are typically useless in pvp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast