+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tip for turning in NM rifts.

  1. #1
    Sword of Telara MickNico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    815

    Default Tip for turning in NM rifts.

    I am pretty sure most people want to turn around when they have to in NM rifts but I'm 100% sure most don't know when to. I have also seen people run off rifts because someone has pointed them out so hopefully this tread will help those people. If you have any other ideas please post.

    The problem is not so much the player but the UI layout and in particular the "Notification Messages". By default it is up top of screen and small. A place that doesn't catch your eye in the middle of a fight.

    What is needed is to put your "Notification Messages" in a place were you will see it and enlarge it. Mine is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen and enlarged.

    To move and enlarge your "Notification Messages" press your "System" button. You will find it bottom left of your screen. Go to "Edit Layout". Highlight your "Notification Messages" and drag to a spot on your screen that you will notice it. Then in the UI interface enlarge your "Notification Messages", then press save. You might have to change it to suit until you have it were it's noticeable but not going to interfere with your game.

    Once the warning to turn goes up stop and turn straight away. I always cast two spells that can be cast not looking at boss while turned around. Now that you have done that there is another thing you need to know, how long do you look away for. The boss will push out a purple AoE, (there is a belief of some people that this colour is mauve, they are wrong. It is purple ).

    It does not seem to go all the way out to the rifts boundary so if you are far out you will have to guess but once you have seen how long it takes after the warning you will get the hang of it. Once the AoE is cast by the boss and hits you you can turn around.

    ...................

    Now someone tell me about negative and positive circles boss. This is a pain for me as most circles seem very close in colour and I am still unsure which is which.
    How can I rig settings to see those colours brighter. Or maybe Trion can inhance the circle colours. The snow seems to make everything whiter.
    Mickdayblind NA Defiant

  2. #2
    dbe
    dbe is offline
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    906

    Default

    The pos/neg are much worse. There's a chance the nearest one will spawn too far away even if you're at the center of the rift, and not everyone has a speed boost or teleport.

    But you're right the colors aren't the best.

    Pos/neg will kill >50% of the players in the rift the first time it hits, sometimes >80%.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Salrahah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    Now someone tell me about negative and positive circles boss. This is a pain for me as most circles seem very close in colour and I am still unsure which is which.
    How can I rig settings to see those colours brighter. Or maybe Trion can inhance the circle colours. The snow seems to make everything whiter.
    Try turning on Projected Textures in the advanced video settings.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    The pos/neg circles are really bad. I still have not figured out a way to know beforehand where they will spawn, and usually the correct circle is far out of reach.

    Last time I did this boss I died 10 meters from the circle. I released my soul, and while I waited to be revived, he did the circle thing again. Unfortunately with my ghost vision (all grey in grey) there was absolutely no way to tell which of the light gray circles was positive, and which was negative; so as soon as I was revived, I died again. Now imagine being color blind...

    They really need to do something about this mechanic.

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I few things I noticed. The circles start to appear a few seconds before he casts the spell.
    If you see them starting to appear on the ground run to be close to them.
    There is also a clear inner part to the circle. I have a feeling you have to be right in this clear part. When you need a white circle it's sometimes actually under the boss so you have to run too him. This stage is much easier on land than snow as it's easier to see the circles.
    The boss does a sneaky Aoe on the group in the circle, get ready to run after the burst.

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    The pos/neg are much worse. There's a chance the nearest one will spawn too far away even if you're at the center of the rift, and not everyone has a speed boost or teleport.
    Now that reminds me of a mechanic in another game when knocked back all got speed boost for a while. That kind of feature could be implemented for that specific part, in addition to circle color/model change.

    [Edit]: Nonetheless, the OP's suggestion for changing the warning text location/size is a good one.
    Last edited by Tenof; 12-07-2014 at 01:26 AM.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    455

    Default

    About positive/negative, I'm not sure how many bosses do it, but more than one. Generally, I'm ok with this mechanic.

    But there's one boss who not only has this +/- circle thing going on, but he also does some white visual effect in the air around himself at the same time... Now that's a pain. Whenever he does the splash visuals, I can't see white circles on the ground on the other side and then I'm screwed half the time.

  8. #8
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Tip for Pos/Neg regarding reaching the circles on a bad spawn. Mount up!

    The boss stops casting and 12m bosses are not time intensive, so as soon as he starts casting start mounting. While you mount figure out where you need to be going, then move there at greatly increased movement speed. Hope this helps!

  9. #9
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post

    ...................

    Now someone tell me about negative and positive circles boss. This is a pain for me as most circles seem very close in colour and I am still unsure which is which.
    How can I rig settings to see those colours brighter. Or maybe Trion can inhance the circle colours. The snow seems to make everything whiter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salrahah View Post
    Try turning on Projected Textures in the advanced video settings.
    And if your PC is weaker, then an alternative would be to check Low Quality Renderer and then check Use Low Quality Terrain. The game will look pretty ugly, but circles will be clearly visible. It especially helps to see circles in Tarken, it removes most of the snow and replaces it with grass...

  10. #10
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post

    The problem is not so much the player but the UI layout and in particular the "Notification Messages". By default it is up top of screen and small. A place that doesn't catch your eye in the middle of a fight.

    What is needed is to put your "Notification Messages" in a place were you will see it and enlarge it. Mine is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen and enlarged.

    ^This x 10^600 I set mine to 1.86 scale and it is dead center in my screen. It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. (I did it back in 1.x when I was a defilemancer and dot times were something I had to pay attention to)

    A warning that big is really hard to miss.
    Last edited by BehemothDog; 12-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara Haruchai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    I am pretty sure most people want to turn around when they have to in NM rifts but I'm 100% sure most don't know when to. I have also seen people run off rifts because someone has pointed them out so hopefully this tread will help those people. If you have any other ideas please post.

    The problem is not so much the player but the UI layout and in particular the "Notification Messages". By default it is up top of screen and small. A place that doesn't catch your eye in the middle of a fight.

    What is needed is to put your "Notification Messages" in a place were you will see it and enlarge it. Mine is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen and enlarged.

    To move and enlarge your "Notification Messages" press your "System" button. You will find it bottom left of your screen. Go to "Edit Layout". Highlight your "Notification Messages" and drag to a spot on your screen that you will notice it. Then in the UI interface enlarge your "Notification Messages", then press save. You might have to change it to suit until you have it were it's noticeable but not going to interfere with your game.

    Once the warning to turn goes up stop and turn straight away. I always cast two spells that can be cast not looking at boss while turned around. Now that you have done that there is another thing you need to know, how long do you look away for. The boss will push out a purple AoE, (there is a belief of some people that this colour is mauve, they are wrong. It is purple ).

    It does not seem to go all the way out to the rifts boundary so if you are far out you will have to guess but once you have seen how long it takes after the warning you will get the hang of it. Once the AoE is cast by the boss and hits you you can turn around.

    ...................

    Now someone tell me about negative and positive circles boss. This is a pain for me as most circles seem very close in colour and I am still unsure which is which.
    How can I rig settings to see those colours brighter. Or maybe Trion can inhance the circle colours. The snow seems to make everything whiter.
    As other posters have mentioned the circles appear just before he casts, look around and watch for the circles to appear, try and pick a direction to run that will take you towards an area that has both colour circles (white for pos, purple for neg). As soon as he starts to cast run immediately in the direction you have picked and alter your direction on the way to get in the correct colour. You have to be in the circle for a moment to get the charge, getting there at the last moment will kill you.

    A decent tank will look for the circles and try to position the boss near circles of both colours.

    If thats too hard for you, you can los the cast behind the big hand on the edge of the NMR.

  12. #12
    Telaran Drhouse593's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86

    Default

    A brief lesson in the anatomy of the eye

    The average person's peripheral vision is very poor at detecting fine details, such as text on a monitor. The reason for this is because the center of the eye, or the fovea centralis, is a small part of the retina (the light-sensitive lining in the back of your eyeball) that is densely packed with photoreceptors, specifically the ones that respond to color (also known as cones). This is what allows your central vision to distinguish fine details, such as the words you are reading. Because this area is so small, you have a limited ability to resolve the shapes of objects at the periphery of your vision, even if it's just a few inches away.

    When you do a boss encounter, what part of your screen do you focus your eyes on the most? Is it your character, the cast bar, your addon bars, or the boss? This is where you need to put your notification bar. If your notification bar falls into your peripheral vision, there is a good chance you can miss it completely. It needs to be large enough to fill your entire central vision.
    "Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up."

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai View Post
    As other posters have mentioned the circles appear just before he casts, look around and watch for the circles to appear, try and pick a direction to run that will take you towards an area that has both colour circles (white for pos, purple for neg). As soon as he starts to cast run immediately in the direction you have picked and alter your direction on the way to get in the correct colour. You have to be in the circle for a moment to get the charge, getting there at the last moment will kill you.

    A decent tank will look for the circles and try to position the boss near circles of both colours.

    If thats too hard for you, you can los the cast behind the big hand on the edge of the NMR.
    This and another from a poster further up. To summarize the mentioned and additional tips:

    - You can mount as soon as he starts casting (but you dont have to)
    - Start moving as soon as new circles spawn
    - Aim for the center of an area which has both a white and a purple circle
    - Correct your path to the correct color when positive or negative is announced
    - White is positive, purple is negative
    - Stay in the circle until the cast is complete (in general move in the circle a bit to "force" the game to update your position and give you the charge buff - do NOT jump into the circles, run normally)
    - Watch out for void zones spawning inside circles. These are often part of the pos/neg boss mechanics, and with many people in the same circle, chances are high one will spawn there
    - You can LoS the cast behind objects (in general though objects are further out than the circles)

    And finally: Try to stay close to the boss in between circle mechanics. If everyone are close, the circles also spawn close.
    Onde, mage dps / healing / support (Note: old signature)
    <Archetype>, Icewatch
    EE 2/5 | FT 4/4 | TotDQ 4/4 | 8/8 ID | 11/11 HK | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS | 4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | RotP 4/4 | PF 4/4 | PA 628

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    175

    Default

    For Pos/Neg, get the tank to drag the boss close to the hand, and everyone can LoS it behind the hand for the people that are struggling.

    DPS doesn't need to be hard on him because it's a 12 minute boss, so as soon as he circles come down, start moving towards them, primarily in between a pos and neg so as soon as he is casting, you either mount up or run towards it, but the LoS mechanic stops the deaths also.
    Fail Rogue of <Vantage> @ Deepwood
    4/4 RoF 5/5 MS 1/3 TF

  15. #15
    Sword of Telara MickNico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Thanks.
    White is positive, White is positive, White is positive, White is positive old dogs on meds find things hard to remember. White is positive, White is positive, White is positive.

    I'm not going to lower my render or terrain to low to see the colour better, stuff that it looks terrible. What would be good to tweak PC is having a area on snow with these 2 circles so people can adjust their settings but it will never happen so looks I'll try projected textures options whatever the hell that is. Why isn't there a boss that makes you dance? I can dance with the best of them. In game anyway.
    Mickdayblind NA Defiant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts