+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Anyone else finding New Mastery skills pretty damn crap!

Rift Chaser

Default Anyone else finding New Mastery skills pretty damn crap!

Just wondered if it is me or if other people think the new NT Mastery skills are pretty useless. So far I have used the first 3/4 levels on four characters. I think to date I have found one useful. Do I really need a 10% out/in combat movement increase, etc?

Maybe my self created Sout trees are all wrong to get the best out of them! Shame as I was really looking forward to new skill ups in NT. Wish they had just added to the original Soul Trees.

It's just you.

For example, the one you mentioned that grants 10% movement speed, stacks with other speed increases (e.g. spongey insoles) which means it's easier to avoid "don't stand in fire" mechanics and/or you can run back into the boss quicker.

There are a number of Quality of Life changes included for tanks within the masteries. For instance, the physical tanks (rogues and warriors) have their main spammable threat builder extended from melee range to 20 meters and the magical tanks (clerics and mages) have their already ranged abilities extended from 30 to 25 meters, enabling all classes of tank to deal with disconnects and/or ranged pulls much easier.

Rift Disciple

I would say, what it's useful not for all souls. for some souls, mainly it's give nothing principal. just "decorate". but for some it's pretty cool.

... would be great to have a few more choices in there to pick from.
    Rift, acend-a-friend code: E7DNGTZMQKXWGD77CC72
    Trove, refer-a-friend code: TJCQWZ3EK2MGYTEQHT9Q
    and thank you.

General of Telara

I find them lacking. I'm some player can dig through the rubbish and find gold, but for me I'd rather have an extension of my current souls.

And the extra movement speed when I already have crucia's mirror stacked up and my soul speed up's. I'd rather have expanded options for all souls, not just a generalization of things that might work.

Champion of Telara

I find them meh, and a complete failure of the advertised "change the way you play souls". Aside from working in a few clicks here and there nothing has drastically changed for any soul with a mastery. The masteries just feel weak in most instances, or thrown together.

Not very useful compared to the alternatives in leveling up pre-NT. My rogues like the dismounted speed and my mage the level 65 channeled thing. Otherwise not there unless you tank, or heal maybe. Looks like an afternoon's intern work to me.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Rift Chaser

[QUOTE=Meteorblade;4964185]It's just you.

Apparantly not.

More or less as I suspected. Most people I have talked to in game when asking for advice on which skill to use seem to think they are pretty naff.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nicstrand View Post
    Just wondered if it is me or if other people think the new NT Mastery skills are pretty useless. So far I have used the first 3/4 levels on four characters. I think to date I have found one useful. Do I really need a 10% out/in combat movement increase, etc?

Maybe my self created Sout trees are all wrong to get the best out of them! Shame as I was really looking forward to new skill ups in NT. Wish they had just added to the original Soul Trees.
    I definitely need to join the "I like the Masteries" camp on this one.

One thing I'm wondering - do you find them crap for one specific build that you run? Because most of the Masteries are focused towards specific souls, and I can agree that some builds definitely benefit more than others.

For example: I run a cleric, and in all 5 levels of the Masteries there's only one cabalist-focused ability that increases the utility of one of my spells - I didn't even change my rotation to try and take better advantage of it (when it happens, it happens). However for my sentinel healing spec, a combination of 3 of the masteries has made it so I can spam my previously-weak ST heals for 75% of a fight and keep not only the tank up, but also most of a 5-man dungeon group. The changes from Masteries for Sentinel have been amazing.

So ya - definitely read the fine print on all the Masteries and find out if you're using the right one for each of your builds. The usefulness of some of them are not immediately obvious.

Rift Master

So far I have to say I have really enjoyed the Cleric masteries. Though a few do need work as the other options are less than useless.

At the same time im glad they didn't extend the soul trees. This is where ability bloating comes. Currently certain builds....well for cleric anyways.....has too many abilities to cast for a 12 key hot bar. Personally I'd rather have interesting class mechanics than whack a hotbar for proper rotation as fast as possible.

I would rather have the soul trees reworked in general back to the original idea pure souls fewer abilities less versatility. Hybrids more abilities better versatility. Not one really being better than the other......I'm sure that's asking too much.

Games got a lot of balance issues in general already, extending soul trees doesn't help that at all.

Sword of Telara

They are all basically junk, except for maybe a few rare exceptions (a couple for Chloro healers come to mind).

If someone needs that extra 10% speed to get out of crap, well, they aren't particularly raid aware in the first place.
    Last edited by Bluejaye; 12-05-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tollwutig View Post
    I find them meh, and a complete failure of the advertised "change the way you play souls". Aside from working in a few clicks here and there nothing has drastically changed for any soul with a mastery. The masteries just feel weak in most instances, or thrown together.
    I'm pretty sure masteries were advertised as replacing soul points specifically so that " the souls you love already wouldn't change"

Though for clerics, the masteries actually did change the way souls were played.

The other idea behind masteries was to open up hybrids to a degree, but I can only really think of one that was birthed from the changes.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    I'm pretty sure masteries were advertised as replacing soul points specifically so that " the souls you love already wouldn't change"

Though for clerics, the masteries actually did change the way souls were played.

The other idea behind masteries was to open up hybrids to a degree, but I can only really think of one that was birthed from the changes.
    I checked, pretty sure it was in a Live stream where something like that was stated. But the official post from Ocho on the system is here.

Most of that is a fail for me, there isn't really any "choice" in the masteries you choose. Each build really only has one set of options and they haven't opened up any new hybrids. For Mages nothing has really changed and you can leave masteries blank and still pull close the same results from them.

I find them very lacking too. I don't appreciate the fact that they alter abilities for some souls and not others... Either they need to be made more generally useful, or there needs to be more options.

Leveling 2 characters with ~4 soul builds each, many times I've scanned through the mastery choices and found nothing that was all that good/interesting for the build I'm using. I end up having to just pick the least crappy option- but crappy is still crappy.

Champion of Telara

Complaining about lack of options in Masteries is like complaining about lack of soul options for raiding; you have your 1 or 2, maybe 3, cookie cutter specs that you play all the time without deviating from them. And similarily, you pick masteries based on what is theorycrafted to be providing the most benefit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast