+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Buffs canceling when mentoring/sidekicking has got to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Islesi View Post
    The thing that has GOT to be changed is the total lack of notification that you've just LOST your pets and/or buffs!

Have a fly-in message with a sound effect or a big blinky flash in the pet and buff UI elements that shows them poofing due to autolevelling. Something, anything!
    There is nothing in game to do this yet, but you can do this with the Addon called Karuu Alerts. You can set it so every time your buff falls off you get a big thing to show up and tell you so. It's very configurable and quite nice. (Although can take some time to learn it, but well worth it!)
    Last edited by Sepulcro; 10-26-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    LETS BAND TOGETHER! WE ARE A COMMUNITY. A FAMILY OF GAMERS.
    Lots of bad stuff has happened to our family the last couple of months. Lets support each other through it.
    Lets stop tearing each other and Trion down. We can get past that bad stuff if we remain positive and work together!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GM Fasti View Post
    Hey all,

I believe this section from our patch notes is what you're referring to:

Mentoring has also received a balancing pass:
    * Buffs now cancel when mentoring down. Recast them to get proper mentored values.
    * Item procs no longer trigger while mentored down.
    * Stat bonuses from Planar Attunement no longer benefit players who mentor below level 50.

You can definitely provide feedback about these changes directly to the dev team via our in-game feedback report.
    Even if it is written in patch notes it doesn't it is annoying
    As stated before in this thread, it is expecially boring during nightmare rift, you are knocked back off the rift, run inside again and bam! no buff, no pet and easy death is around the corner. But I also don't like it for other reasons, for example, I have to go in old maps to do an event, at the end of the event I mentor down to get reward and... no buff and no pet again.
    Is it really impossible to scale buff bonus, pet level and disable item proc without removing them?
    FT 4/4 - EE 4/5 - GA 4/4 - PBB 3/5 - IG 2/3 - BoB 2/8

Rift Disciple

Even if it is written in patch notes it doesn't it is annoying
    I mean:
    Even if it is written in patch notes it doesn't mean it is not annoying.
    Last edited by Alarchon; 10-27-2014 at 03:18 AM.
    FT 4/4 - EE 4/5 - GA 4/4 - PBB 3/5 - IG 2/3 - BoB 2/8

Make all the buffs passive. Easy solution.
    "No pain, No Gain"
    "The supposition that the newcomers need to "learn to play" or "do better" is silly. ~Daglar"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Enepttastic View Post
    Huh....thought that was fixed. I know after the first hotfix I immediately mentored below 50 and had 9/3 charges. Just mentored again while I had 5 charges, went to 5/3 so it should be working fine now.

Granted, they really need to learn to actually post such things in the patch notes...
    I'm not sure what's going on with the planar charges- most of the time I lose them, but occasionally I don't. There's definitely something buggy, but I don't know which is the intended effect.

Rift Disciple

What makes it most annoying is when in a open world nightmare rift, people are coming and going all the time and it seems I am spending more time recasting buffs on myself than killing the mobs. With these being timed, it is going to be very difficult to beat the higher levels if we need to constantly be using our time to rebuff ourselves or try to kill the bosses unbuffed.

Strangely your buffs aren't canceled when you're pulled into a Dungeon as a mentor...

Is cancelling really necessary Trion?
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Shadowlander

Best thing is, the scaling isn't working either.
    I'm 65 now with 800 Hit and joined an instant adventure in the Reef today.
    So, mentored down to 61 I didn't do any damage - oh yeah, buffing ...
    So again, still no damage with my solo build - not that it was a huge damage dealer anyway but I actually did less (like half of it) damage as I did with level 60 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nithydux View Post
    Strangely your buffs aren't canceled when you're pulled into a Dungeon as a mentor...

Is cancelling really necessary Trion?
    I understand the need to cancel. You need the buff to increase or decrease in power to match. But I doubt that Trion anticipated that nightmare rift proximity or the party members joining in the middle of something problem that we are seeing now that the game is live. I think Trion needs to add code that cancels the buff and re-applies it at the appropriate level or just leave the buff in place and scale it as needed. There are too many situations where the cancellation can cause un-intended problems. I'm sure Trion understands this and will fix it.
    Lots of bad stuff has happened to our family the last couple of months. Lets support each other through it.
    Lets stop tearing each other and Trion down. We can get past that bad stuff if we remain positive and work together!

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sepulcro View Post
    You need the buff to increase or decrease in power to match. ... I think Trion needs to add code that cancels the buff and re-applies it at the appropriate level or just leave the buff in place and scale it as needed. There are too many situations where the cancellation can cause un-intended problems. I'm sure Trion understands this and will fix it.
    Just quoting Sepulcro because he points out the obvious; that any game lead should have known and questioned the talent of any developer that told them they couldn't auto-scale our buffs and needed to strip our buffs and dismiss our pets.

Hope to see this fixed on Wednesday's patch...

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #26
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

The good news is that we do plan to change this. The bad news is that it won't be changed tomorrow.

The current implementation was done shortly before launch to avoid trivializing Nightmare rifts in the old world. With the time remaining, we had a choice to only allow these rifts in the news zones or make mentoring/sidekicking strip the buffs. We went with the latter, but were under no illusion that it was an ideal situation.

Now that the initial launch craziness is past, one of our engineers is turning his focus on making the scaling of buffs work in a much better fashion. No promises of an ETA, but it is a priority task at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    The good news is that we do plan to change this. The bad news is that it won't be changed tomorrow.

The current implementation was done shortly before launch to avoid trivializing Nightmare rifts in the old world. With the time remaining, we had a choice to only allow these rifts in the news zones or make mentoring/sidekicking strip the buffs. We went with the latter, but were under no illusion that it was an ideal situation.

Now that the initial launch craziness is past, one of our engineers is turning his focus on making the scaling of buffs work in a much better fashion. No promises of an ETA, but it is a priority task at this point.
    Thank you VERY much!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Awesome.

I was thinking about this some, and I think this ties into why the dominator reflective armor had to go: A level 60 dom could place armor on some lowbie, who could then slaughter everything.

My model for what I think I would like/expect is:

1. When an ability is initially cast, it has its level-and-buffs computed.
    2. When a buff is initially applied, and every time its target changes level, it is scaled to the lower of the caster's level and the target's current level (after the change).

So if I'm level 60, and I cast a buff on another level 60, it's a "level 60" buff. If the target then mentors down to 30, the buff scales so that it's the same bonuses you'd get from a level 30 caster with a level 30 target, roughly. If I sidekick up to 60, and cast a buff on someone who is also sidekicked to 60, it scales up to be the same as a 60 buff, etc.

Although. You could just disregard caster level entirely, and let a level 10 caster, even not-sidekicked, throw buffs up on people and they get the level 60 buff.

By the way, while scaling is being discussed, I wish to point out a pet peeve about scaling:

I think the initial-tier pets should scale poorly past 30 rather than not-at-all past 30, because the current scaling produces a brief window during which it can be really hard to get your pet scaled to your level if you have more than a handful of points in another tree, and really I don't like the thing where pets go, in maybe three levels, from "significant utility" to "completely worthless". If the lower-tier pets were still scaled-to-level so they at least had a chance to hit, but had worse hit points and damage than the upper-tier pets, I think that would make subspecs with pets a little more useful without making them completely mandatory. (I'm thinking, like, half to a quarter the hit points/healing/damage of a full pet.) Between the soul gift bonuses you don't get, and worse scaling, I don't *think* that'd be a horrible balance problem.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Champion of Telara

First off thanks for letting us know this has been one of the most annoying mechanics so far and I've avoided grouping and nightmare rifts since Thursday because of it.

I personally would have went with the first option as it has a much lower nuisance factor while everyone is leveling in NT zones, and people are used to new types of Rifts (hunt) not being able to be opened in Old world zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Enepttastic View Post
    Huh....thought that was fixed. I know after the first hotfix I immediately mentored below 50 and had 9/3 charges. Just mentored again while I had 5 charges, went to 5/3 so it should be working fine now.

Granted, they really need to learn to actually post such things in the patch notes...
    It is fixed if you got to the Runic Aethaenum, It is not fixed if you participate in a nightmare rift.
    The rebuffing is now a habit to look, but it is an annoyance. The lost planar charges is a major bummer, because the places I have to mentor below 50 don't have planar anomolies to recharge from.

I understand this is being worked on. That would have been time better spent before release, because you have created a lot of aggravation that was really not necessary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast