+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Tarken Glacier Puzzle problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Simon View Post
    I'm keeping an eye on it Noshei. I realize that this one has the highest element of luck which I am not super happy about but I am also hesitant to nerf it just yet.
    Oh yeah I completely understand and I would guess that since someone has been able to complete it that makes you more hesitant to nerf it.

It is just tough to have played close to, maybe even over 100-150 games so far, with at least 60-70 wins, and still not have gotten it.

I will keep trying though.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodspeaker View Post
    Also, I don't think it's a timer issue, so much as the AI opponent taking it's sweet damn time making a move, sometimes.
    The timer does not go down while the computer is making it's move - it's like a chess timer and switches back and forth.

Check it out if you don't believe me

I have finished it twice without too much issue, and got loot the first time and a minion the second. I also tried letting the computer get every square for the achieve, but that did not give it.
    Last edited by McTwistie; 10-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Plane Walker

The Achieve I saw was only letting the AI get 1 square, not all. All would be too easy.

Default My question here is

if you don't do it in the time limit, do you just not get the 2nd achieve, or you can't finish the puzzle at all? i have gotten 2 of the keys but am lost, as ever for getting the 3rd.. "around and around and the key will be found"? i have went around everything even chased that dang light until my head hurt.. a little help here guys would go a long ways....
    Last edited by Runningmoon; 10-28-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Finerty View Post
    The Achieve I saw was only letting the AI get 1 square, not all. All would be too easy.
    Yet the achievement is called "Thinking outside the box". That is what I was trying to do :P

I don't think the timer is unfair, it's quick but achievable after a few goes..

I can't even get one square to turn blue. The ai just wipes the floor with me every time. It's choices are flawless, whereas mine are anything but. And it feels like i don't even have 0.1 second of time to even make a tactical choice. Only guess blindly.

Quote Originally Posted by Runningmoon View Post
    if you don't do it in the time limit, do you just not get the 2nd achieve, or you can't finish the puzzle at all? i have gotten 2 of the keys but am lost, as ever for getting the 3rd.. "around and around and the key will be found"? i have went around everything even chased that dang light until my head hurt.. a little help here guys would go a long ways....
    Sounds like you are talking about the goboro puzzle, while this thread is about the tarken glacier puzzle.

For the goboro puzzle, the timer is only for the bonus achievement. In fact you dont even need to start the timer for this puzzle to complete it.

Telaran

I love this puzzle even if I keep losing 9 to 16

Thank you DeadSimon
    Last edited by Kazzic; 10-28-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Simon View Post
    I'm keeping an eye on it Noshei. I realize that this one has the highest element of luck which I am not super happy about but I am also hesitant to nerf it just yet.
    Don't change it!
    I'm not saying this because I got the achieve and shard first (world first? ).

There is a lot of luck related to it, but at the same time, it's possible to reduce the RNG drastically by placing lines according to the AI moves.
    That's probably how I got my achievement since I was leaving out empty lines that were part of the pattern I needed so the AI would have a bigger pool of line to randomly pick from.

The achievement is hard and that's how it should be!

Edit: Just putting it there for proof.
    Tarken Glacier Puzzle problem-won.jpg

And for those trying to go for the achieve, start up in the corners and skip lines for the AI to take in your pattern that you know there is no other choice to pick from around it because of double lines on adjacent tiles.
    Last edited by Snap; 10-29-2014 at 03:02 AM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Also wanted to add...

Well played Trion, well played...

This achievement really got me to think out of the box.
    When I managed to get a square alone and a full pattern, I was shocked to see it was the AI turn to play and first thought this was impossible to do. Until I realized you needed to do a loop in order to win because a loop require 1 more line to complete.

And all the little details to reduce the RNG really got me thinking on the best way to handle it.

I also got 200 minion cards out of it.
    Last edited by Snap; 10-29-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

In the camp the timer is a little tight. While I'm "figuring it out" as it were, when the final stretch hits, sometimes getting the actual interaction with the orbs can be annoyingly sluggish. I think I'd also appreciate a more visible indicator when the AI picks, as sometimes when it chugs you lose a second or two in reaction when it finally does while trying to gauge what it picked.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    In the camp the timer is a little tight. While I'm "figuring it out" as it were, when the final stretch hits, sometimes getting the actual interaction with the orbs can be annoyingly sluggish. I think I'd also appreciate a more visible indicator when the AI picks, as sometimes when it chugs you lose a second or two in reaction when it finally does while trying to gauge what it picked.
    there is a big orb between the playing area and the timer.

Green = Your move
    Red = Computers move

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    there is a big orb between the playing area and the timer.

Green = Your move
    Red = Computers move
    I'm aware of this. What I was talking more on, however, is hovering my mouse over an orb even when it IS my turn isn't always triggering the interaction icon. Ergo, more time trying to find that sweet spot = less time to play.

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #30
    Rift Team

So after watching this for 2 weeks now the "Thinking out of the box" achievement is a tad harder than I planned. It has been completed 7 times and congratulations to those people. Awesome job and you should be proud. However I am going to relax it just a little bit. Next hot fix will have it at 2 squares or less. This reduces the element of luck quite a bit, although it does not completely eliminate it as i wish. I prefer to make achievements less about luck and more about skill or tenacity if at all possible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast