+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragonmaster384
  • 1 Post By Ulthran

Thread: Skill formulas?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default Skill formulas?

    So where do the skills in the game get their damage from? What affects 'em?

    This is a very unclear subject to me and i really can't seem to catch why for example Fireball skill does X amount of damage.

    Tried googling a bit about the skill formulas but couldn't find anything regarding this subject.

    I'm searching for formulaes like for example your 500 spell power translates to 350 dmg on fireball skill.

    So how does the skill dmg system work in rift? Is there a addon for the game which informs you in the tooltips that you get x dmg from your weapon and x from your spell power

    thanks before hand

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    It's not too complicated, just a bit of math..

    If you mouse over your spell power, it will tell you the value it increases your damage by. Then you have multipliers from each point spent in dps souls, plus bonuses from certain talents in some souls that are damage modifiers.

    Then there are buffs, and de-buffs that modify the amount of damage taken / done.

    You just have to find all the modifiers, and add them up. Keep in mind this only gets added to the base value of the spell. So a 10% increase plus another 10% increase to 100 damage, will be 120. ([100 X 0.1 =10] +100 =110) [ ] times two. Added together is 120. Not 121. All modifiers are based off the base value, then added.

    You can then take your crit power to figure out how much damage you will so with a crit. I believe the base value increases damage by 50%. So a crit on 100 damage will be 150. Your crit power goes up from 50%, so a CP increase of 10% (that now makes a crit 60%) would make a crit 160 damage. Plus all modifiers.

    It kinda boggled my mind when you think about how many modifiers can be out there at any given time, across how many ppl, and the game (mostly) keeps up..

    I hope this makes sense. Cheers.

  3. #3
    Telaran Dragonmaster384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kickn4fun View Post
    All modifiers are based off the base value, then added.
    While I don't know the inner workings of the skill formulas, I know that this is at least partially untrue. Modifiers from the same category are additive (the way kickn4fun decribed), however, modifiers are multiplicative across categories. Example: say you have 20% damage bonus from one soul gift, and another 20% damage bonus from another soul gift (the passive amount you would get from 20 pts each in two separate DPS souls) - with base damage of 100, you would get (100 * (1 + ((100 * 0.2) + (100 * 0.2))) = 140). But lets say you have a Bard in your group, and at this very moment he has Orchestra of the Planes up. This is a 15% damage buff for you. The math then becomes something like (100 * ((1 + ((100 * 0.2) + (100 * 0.2))) * (1 + (100 * 0.15))) = 161). I probably made that far uglier than it needed to be, but it should demonstrate the concept.

    I believe categories fall somewhere like:
    1. Soul Gift and other passive bonuses (anything you spend points in a soul to get).
    2. Self Buffs (anything from yourself that you have to cast instead of gaining passively).
    3. Raid Buffs (anything from another player, such as Bard/Archon cooldowns).
    4. Target Debuffs (anything on the target that makes it get hit harder - support debuffs or encounter-specific mechanics).

    This is probably off a bit, and if anyone would like to correct me please do so. =)
    Draxaria - Lv65 Rogue --- Draxxonar - Lv65 Mage --- Draxxeer - Lv65 Cleric --- Draxlia - Lv53 Warrior
    ~Shatterbone at heart, Wolfsbane in reality~

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Ok, while I don't have hard evidence for whether or not increase is added to base damage or not, I did do some math a year or two ago and got these results.

    - This was before SL, so there weren't soul point gifts.
    - I didn't test with a support, so I don't know for sure how they add.

    When I did my basic calculations for personal damage I got highly skewed numbers when I added to the increased value, not the base. So that's where I got my numbers.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Wow this stuff gets complicated

    I know bit about math... I did graduate from high school so it's not that alien for me.

    Doesn't spell power just tell you the dps? 5 spellpower = 1? And how do i link it with to a specific skill and its dmg?

    Gosh i wish there would be a some sort of addon for this. Had kinda same problem with Dragon Age 1 but there were no numbers at all... luckily a mod fixed it.

  6. #6
    Telaran Dragonmaster384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kickn4fun View Post
    Ok, while I don't have hard evidence for whether or not increase is added to base damage or not, I did do some math a year or two ago and got these results.

    - This was before SL, so there weren't soul point gifts.
    - I didn't test with a support, so I don't know for sure how they add.

    When I did my basic calculations for personal damage I got highly skewed numbers when I added to the increased value, not the base. So that's where I got my numbers.
    Yeah, I like your explanation, and as I said most personal buffs are additive since they get bucketed into the same category (which is probably all you would see testing on your own), I just wanted to point out that once you start counting raid buffs/debuffs stuff will start being multiplicative in some places.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talekith View Post
    Wow this stuff gets complicated

    I know bit about math... I did graduate from high school so it's not that alien for me.

    Doesn't spell power just tell you the dps? 5 spellpower = 1? And how do i link it with to a specific skill and its dmg?

    Gosh i wish there would be a some sort of addon for this. Had kinda same problem with Dragon Age 1 but there were no numbers at all... luckily a mod fixed it.
    SP does contribute to all of your spells, but IIRC, each ability has it's own % contribution it receives from SP. So some may scale faster/slower than others. I don't know where to find information on what contribution SP makes to a particular ability though.
    Draxaria - Lv65 Rogue --- Draxxonar - Lv65 Mage --- Draxxeer - Lv65 Cleric --- Draxlia - Lv53 Warrior
    ~Shatterbone at heart, Wolfsbane in reality~

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster384 View Post
    SP does contribute to all of your spells, but IIRC, each ability has it's own % contribution it receives from SP. So some may scale faster/slower than others. I don't know where to find information on what contribution SP makes to a particular ability though.
    This is what I exactly would like to know, the spell power ratios of all the spells/skill.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talekith View Post
    This is what I exactly would like to know, the spell power ratios of all the spells/skill.
    And in order to know this, my friend, you'll have to either reverse engineer the game(thusly hacking it and getting banned), Excel it to no tomorrow and figure it out or have inside information.

    If you really care about a particular class...errr...soul YES!, go excel it and share it with us ;)

    edit: spell coeffs(or coeffs in general) are almost NEVER public knowledge-for what reason...who knows.
    Last edited by Ulthran; 10-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulthran View Post
    And in order to know this, my friend, you'll have to either reverse engineer the game(thusly hacking it and getting banned), Excel it to no tomorrow and figure it out or have inside information.

    If you really care about a particular class...errr...soul YES!, go excel it and share it with us ;)

    edit: spell coeffs(or coeffs in general) are almost NEVER public knowledge-for what reason...who knows.
    Well that sounds damn bad it would be nice to figure out the ratios but oh well can't do nothing about it then, can i?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts