+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Shattered
  • 3 Post By Dylbert
  • 1 Post By Indicam
  • 1 Post By AtomicUniverse

Thread: Auction house for regular folks

Default Auction house for regular folks

I find the auction house to be useless....

What I mean is this.

As a casual player I can never find anything on the market better than what drops in world and whe I dofind something the price is rediculously rigged. So can't buy.

Crafting is a similar frustration I go to the market to buy crafting components and yup they are listed but... At extremely unpurchasable prices for the new player or casual player to obtain.

Again market is useless to me.

Another time I go to the market to find costume gear and it's all terrible or again super over priced.

So for me the experience is that the auction house is either junk or overpriced goods or junk that's overpriced

It's diappointing to me and an economy breaker imo.

Ascendant

Crafting mats are priced the way they are, because YOU want to buy them instead of getting them. Same with others. The supply does not support the demand, so price goes up and up. Basic economics there.

Gear? Most of it is junk. That's normal, BoE gear is supposed to fill out the gaps. The only decent gear is at level 60, and not being sold much anymore, because the demand is not there anymore. The GOOD BoE gear is rare, and therefor does not hit the AH that much.

Costume gear being terrible is not a flaw on the AH. It's just costume gear being terrible. Overpriced? It's because it's rare. There is very little supply, therefore it has high demand, and a high price.

So... yeah.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

As a new player it's usually best to have at least one if not more gathering professions. Then you too can sell junk on the AH at silly prices and buy other overpriced junk for your own personal enjoyment/needs. It's just how it works. Desirable items cost money. High demand materials sell for lots too. So sell the materials and enjoy your new costume/stick of headbanging/potion of OMGIcankillsit

As far as gear, stick with Planar or quest gear. It costs no plat and is perfectly adequate. The only thing I find I need to fill in (while leveling) sometimes is a weapon.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Plane Touched

You need to make the market work in your favor.

Like someone had stated, get gathering professions and be the one posting the mats at high prices or send them to your toons that need them.

As far as gear is concerned don't buy anything because you'll level out of it to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
    I find the auction house to be useless....

What I mean is this.

As a casual player I can never find anything on the market better than what drops in world and whe I dofind something the price is rediculously rigged. So can't buy.

Crafting is a similar frustration I go to the market to buy crafting components and yup they are listed but... At extremely unpurchasable prices for the new player or casual player to obtain.

Another time I go to the market to find costume gear and it's all terrible or again super over priced.

So for me the experience is that the auction house is either junk or overpriced goods or junk that's overpriced

It's diappointing to me and an economy breaker imo.
    The AH used to be a lot more useful. There's a bazilllion page thread just down the page (along with a dozen others that were either closed or abandoned) that gives some insight. Suffice to say, the AH stopped being a useful tool the beginning of August.

If you really want to buy crafting mats, though, you could always throw up a buy order and hope someone fills it before it expires and you lose your listing fee...
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

Champion of Telara

Prices for some crafting materials are down to their vendor value plus 10%. Don't be surprised if you even find some (especially fish) that go for less their vendor value. If something is/seems overpriced, it's because it takes time to gather it and has important usage.

It always boils down to what is worth to you. You could pay plat to get something straight away, or you can go out in the world and spend time to earn it; time that you'd spend doing something else. Not much different from real life.

This all might be a move to reduce the usefulness of the AH to pave the way for more rift-store purchases or maybe even move the AH to credit based transactions.

Rift Disciple

As a casual player I can never find anything on the market better than what drops in world and whe I dofind something the price is rediculously rigged.
    You misunderstand the point of the AH when it comes to gearing. It's purpose is not to allow you to buy better gear, it's purpose is to give another option. The same with crafting. It's an option. Some people prefer to get their gear via questing, some people prefer to get it via crafting, some people shop on the AH. If there was one best way to get gear then most everyone would feel compelled to get gear that way and the forums will be filled with "how come u guyz only have one method to get gear!!!" complaining.
    Last edited by Ethmar; 10-11-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack Siick View Post
    This all might be a move to reduce the usefulness of the AH to pave the way for more rift-store purchases or maybe even move the AH to credit based transactions.
    Not in the slightest. AHs tend to have a lull prior to any upcoming expansion. Combine it with the delayed release and it gets worse. That said, the only valid complaint that Swordfish made was this one:
    Thing is, his problem isn't the AH. The issue is either that Swordfish can't keep/earn the plat to buy what he wants or it's simply entitlement issues. I'd lean toward the former if the OP only had the first two complaints but the addition of the costume pricing complaint makes me think it's the latter. Either way, a lack of economics knowledge applies here.

Well, the AH is becoming more useless. But that isn't through design, more through personal stupidity when people take their stacks of gathered mats that will happily sell for a good price and dump them up for little more than vendor value >.< Seriously. Gantimite was down to 5g last night and Linden 10g. Elm lumber down to 70g... Why even list things that cheap, just vendor or destroy them lol.

The AH is awesome for those who only use it to unload everything!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUniverse View Post
    The AH is awesome for those who only use it to unload everything!
    Not really. It is quite a bit of work smartly to just unload to empty your bank/bags. Depending on the amount of stuff you want to unload and what it is. Unless you do it automated. And in that case a lot of what you tend to sell is hardly worth the profit, does not sell (loss of fee) or even gives you less money for your effort then you would have gotten just vendoring it. The last option for me is the better unloading option in that case and comes with no risk.

As for the OP: If stuff on the AH is to expensive for your taste you can always get it in the world. If you find that to much work, well that's the reason stuff costs money on the AH above vendor/store value, as you pay for other people having done that work instead of having to do it yourself. And you always can sell it at what you consider inflated prices yourself and make some good money in your eyes, as you do find the prices high for them, so also the gain then.

But yeah AH became less useful to me as well, simply by less stuff being offered to buy on there for me compared to before august. And the higher listing costs (and loss even if you don't sell) made me toss in the towel as far as selling stuff myself.
    Last edited by Serathe; 10-13-2014 at 06:16 AM.
    Proud builder of the following dimensions on Zaviel: On Serathe: O-RP Family park and tree hotel , Grotto mansion , Little Ravenshire , Vila Plankcraft, The Raven - Edgar Allen Poe, Fairytale fountain and menagerie, O-RP Beach resort Knock knock On Orticia: Villa Gothica , Orticia's lair

+ Reply to Thread