+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree43Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: What do we want? Minions for the App.

Rift Chaser

Any one here played AC4 Black Flag? The mobile app for that game is the cats meow. You can run your fleet entirely from the app, and just log in game and collect the rewards.

Now I haven't looked at the minions yet, but just by the sound of it, lends itself to a mobile application. Be proactive for once, Trion, and put a large effort in something.

I agree it would be a very good thing to use through the app but... and a major but!
    I hope they make the mobile work properly first , its been broke for some since begin august .
    After many posts on it , still no solutions. i truly hope if they add new utilities to the app that at least the app is working and avialable for everyone once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    This is not something that will get "swept under the carpet", having a minions app is something we'd love to do and have dreamed about from the beginning. It's on our Wish List of things to maybe some day do.

We definitely aren't going to make an app for a feature that hasn't launched yet. First we'd have to see how successful it is in-game. Yes, the game play portion of it is perfect for an app but making an app has costs. It obviously has the costs of developer time which means either devs getting pulled off future milestones (or hire someone if needed) so my guess is that the success of the in-game minions (particularly financially) will determine if making an app is viable.
    Handling minions in game is pretty tedious and distracting. IMO it's more suited to something like the mobile app. Id' say it's more like the success of minions would depend on the ability to access the feature out of game rather than hoping it's popular in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    This is not something that will get "swept under the carpet", having a minions app is something we'd love to do and have dreamed about from the beginning. It's on our Wish List of things to maybe some day do.

We definitely aren't going to make an app for a feature that hasn't launched yet. First we'd have to see how successful it is in-game. Yes, the game play portion of it is perfect for an app but making an app has costs. It obviously has the costs of developer time which means either devs getting pulled off future milestones (or hire someone if needed) so my guess is that the success of the in-game minions (particularly financially) will determine if making an app is viable.
    In other words, if and when Trion can monetize it, it will happen.
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #21
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dylbert View Post
    In other words, if and when Trion can monetize it, it will happen.
    To some degree, yes. With most of our features we wait to see how successful they are before we continue to build on them. Having this in the app is something we'd love to do - we need to make sure that we are allocating our resources in the best manner possible.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    To some degree, yes. With most of our features we wait to see how successful they are before we continue to build on them. Having this in the app is something we'd love to do - we need to make sure that we are allocating our resources in the best manner possible.

~Daglar

Can you please check on the Iphone OS8 problem? We can not get it to work on our i products and not knowing what is happening. It is posted elsewhere too
    Have you ever wanted to?

Ascendant

I'd like to see minions in the app, but I would also like to present a counter argument, because its always worth seeing both sides.

Increased access to the minion system means increased efficiency with your minions(better use of stamina, more items recovered etc). Some people can and will do this already. But minion inefficiency directs the value of items recovered by minions. Crafting materials, especially attainium, go down in price if people in general get better at using their minions. If you take someone who plays say, 2 hours a day and has a stable of 30 minions, they might currently burn 5 minions stamina on 5-15 min missions while online, then send out 5 on 8 hour missions before logging. With the app, they could fully utilize the stamina of all 30 minions, instead of 5 plus some partials.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulta View Post
    Can you please check on the Iphone OS8 problem? We can not get it to work on our i products and not knowing what is happening. It is posted elsewhere too
    Meh.. Would be nice to have 'a' Rift app (other than the authenticator) on Windows Phone to begin with. Welcome to the unconnected side ;)

Really, until Trion can release apps for Android, iOS, Windows Phone (and maybe BB) alike, I don't think adding extra functionality could be considered fair. After all, what makes people who have access to this app so special that they can get the most out of the minion system, while those who cannot use an app, can not? Similarly, what makes smart phone owners so special that they deserve an advantage over people who do not? ;)
    Last edited by MisterWibble; 10-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #25
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Kulta View Post
    We've got an engineer scheduled to start reviewing the RIFT mobile app as soon as 3.0 is out the door.

~Daglar

Soulwalker

~Daglar
    The counter argument to this is that the mobile app may contribute to the success of the minion system. In other words it is possible that the minion system would do much better if the mobile integration was launched simultaneously. Also, if you are able to hurry with credits in the mobile app then you can increase revenue.

However, it is obviously a decent amount of work and I know that getting it done for 3.0 is ludicrous at this point. I do think that if you commit to mobile integration within a timeframe (1-2 months?) then you will contribute to the minion system's success.

Soulwalker

We've got an engineer scheduled to start reviewing the RIFT mobile app as soon as 3.0 is out the door.

~Daglar
    Any chance he can look at the Android app too? I've never seen an app that crashes that often!

~Daglar
    Thank you, was hoping to see a fix for apple updated os sooner but better than never. Thank you for responding and giving us information.
    Have you ever wanted to?

Soulwalker

Default minion app.

some points i wish to make on this.
    #1 having played it some, and i see that every post on this thread was pre-launch of the 3.0 patch in its full form. i see no reason to not have the minions be successful, heck ive all ready spent both plat and credits on it and ive only been able to play like 4 hours of the last 3 days, btw thanks for the downtime on my server for a whole day, reminded me of my days playing eq.
    #2 the phone app as it is, well i dont want to say what all i feel about it as that would likely get me a ban from the forums if not rift all together. my wife has an android phone that came out after rift did and it wont let her use the app at all. it took me like 3 days to get it to work on my htc m8 android phone. and it seems to have lost its ability to let you log out and log on another account which helped when we started playing when the game first launched. the fact its not on windows phone is not surprising, i have never once seen any one advertise an app for the windows phone. you get what you paid for and im sorry but windows phone are not the app centralized phones that androids and apple phones are. thats not trions fought thats you as a consumer wanting one thing when you purchase another.
    #3 for it to not be part of the phone app is a little crazy when you look at what the phone app is and what it can do and what the minions page is and what it can do, i mean minions is nothing but an app with in the game. now compared to the lotto style scratch offs that are on the app yes it is different in delivery. however you could simply change it to a mail in for the rewards and that would make it 99% the same as the scratch offs as far as outward mechanics.
    example, both require you to log in, then select a shard and character, then navigate to open a window, from there you just need a new window and boom you have the same access you would in game from a phone. so mechanically it wouldnt be that hard.

though i could see it not being useable on some older phone os. it will take more system resources then the current app and that might break the app for some.

that being said to not put something that you even state is a mini game into the app which is nothing but guild chat and mini games is kinda silly. i mean the fact that the current app is so outdated, unimproved and after HOW MANY YEARS STILL IN BETA?!?!? just shows that perhaps you should close the app or use it and improve it. while i love the app, if its never going to have resources put to it to improve it, fix the bugs, and make it more user friendly or even user able. then why have it. its a black mark on the company at this point from my stand point. you can put bells and whistles on something but if the bells and whistles are the only thing that works then that something is not worth my time or effort. and i wouldn't monetize the current app even if it was a one time penny cost to download it and use it for life. if the beta tag was taken off and an open statement made that it would not be altered or updated from where it is i would accept it and just keep it as a free download but in its current state to have it be listed as beta which most people would take to mean as being worked on and improved on a timely basis just is laughable. rift launched what march 2011, its almost 2015 and i had the app soon after i started playing the first time. to have the app be 3 almost 4 years old and be in beta continually trion WTH really what the heck. man up and fix it or drop it from developmental status and put it as is and openly stop the ideas that you will update or fix it.

this is not a demand from a player but from some one who would love to see common sense used by just one company in the world.

Champion

~Daglar
    So... what kind of coffee do they drink? Do they like cookies? Any incentives we can provide for them?

Now that 3.0 is out, I definitely like minions. My guildies and I are addicted to it. Monetize us!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2