+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Why P2W isn't bad.

Shadowlander

Default Why P2W isn't bad.

1. More people equipped in 'paid' gear means less competition on loot rolls, since their gear will likely be better than loot drops and they won't be rolling on most drops.

2. A few players in raid with paid gear will boost damage / heals and make runs easier - this benefits everyone.

3. Buying gear is basically skipping content, so it will not be as prevalent as it might seem.

Telaran

4. It will allow Trion to run their company (their ways to earn money to maintain their lifestyle) without forcing 100% of the playerbase to pay for it (although most will end up paying if they like it anyways)

Shield of Telara

It seems P2W is completely mixed with "pay to get sub-BiS gear", "pay to get the BiS gear", and "pay to skip the content to beat others in the race, which as a dev described the sole purpose of Rift, at least pertaining to gearing (i.e. P2W in Rift)" here.

Default The reason why P2W is never going to be an issue in Rift

Bads will be bads and having BiS cash shop gear won't help them.

It makes more money from peeps buying from the store. end of subject really.
    Comfort is a perspective of ideology.

Telaran

To be honest I don't see the point in even discussing it. Trion is a COMPANY that is made to earn them money, not a charity to entertain us poor ****ers. Be happy as a F2P player who doesn't want to spend a single dime that they give you this opportunity instead of spitting them in the face that they don't do every single thing their average F2P player demands of them.
    That is not why they run this, they run it to earn themselves an income and hopefully entertain a moderate amount of people as well. Whichever way they try to persuade us to give them money instead of spending millions amount of hours of playtime, is their choice, and goes by their rules and ideas, not ours. stop crying please.
    I'm happy whenever I see a T2 relic-geared player sitting on his shark mount in tempest bay, and when you check their necklace and trinket its the **** T1's or even dungeon ones. Cause it means Trion is earning money and can keep their business running.
    It would be worse if they had only useless fuzz as buy options, since no one wants to spend money on something that doesn't give them anything in return and that would mean Trion will be bankrupt in a few months or years.

Keep up the good work Trion, you're doing exactly as you should as a company running a F2P game.

Shadowlander

P2W is a huge turn-off for a lot of people. While on the surface it seems that the game might become more profitable going p2w, in reality it would probably lose more purchasing power than it would gain. Especially in the long run.

Shadowlander

I agree, Weirdowz. I think Rift is amazing and easily blows other F2P MMO's away. I am in my low 50's, I have bought credits to buy mounts and unlock AH access... I have never felt like I needed to buy gear etc. to experience or participate fully in content... so far. I hope it stays like this at 60.

I would be willing to spend more credits - and I bet many others would, if only prices were a bit cheaper...

Example, 800 credits to unlock 1 bag slot, I feel is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    I agree, Weirdowz. I think Rift is amazing and easily blows other F2P MMO's away. I am in my low 50's, I have bought credits to buy mounts and unlock AH access... I have never felt like I needed to buy gear etc. to experience or participate fully in content... so far. I hope it stays like this at 60.

I would be willing to spend more credits - and I bet many others would, if only prices were a bit cheaper...

Example, 800 credits to unlock 1 bag slot, I feel is too expensive.
    Oh boy.

So you're not even max level - don't truly grasp the issues at hand with end game content and 3.0 release.. you're posting on the forums that Trion should be pay to win because YAY! Money!

And then in the same breath complaining that the credit prices are too high.....

Credible argument is null and void. lol

Shadowlander

Yes, for menial features (eg. bag slot, wardrobe items) the credit cost seems excessive.

I have no problem with actual raid gear being priced highly, and actually encourage it being expensive. No, I'm not max level - simply passing on my observations / predictions from similar scenarios in other 'F2P' games with item / service shops etc. Also, we'll all be on an even playing field come Nightmare Tide, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I have a feeling it will be a non-issue come 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Also, we'll all be on an even playing field come Nightmare Tide, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I have a feeling it will be a non-issue come 65.
    No, we won't. THAT Is the whole problem right there.

Plane Touched

But you can be if you opt to pay for the upgrades now. It's an option. If you can't or won't do it, then ignore it. It just means you'll get to the same place eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1780 View Post
    But you can be if you opt to pay for the upgrades now. It's an option. If you can't or won't do it, then ignore it. It just means you'll get to the same place eventually.

/shakes head

So we've gotten past the denial stage and now we're onto acceptance?

Plane Touched

It seems Nightmare Tide was named after the flood of tears it has caused on these forums. I should buy some shares in Victoria's Secret - they're going to make a killing replacing all these ruined panties.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast