Closed Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Nightmare Tide: Gearing and You

Informative post, thank you for this.

As far as gear grinding goes... I don't think it will be nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. Both World and Expert gear are of comparable stat weights and both take the same type of synergy crystal. This means I can easily mix and match for the stats I prefer (ie: For shoulders: Using Void Stones for Open world gear instead of Crusader Marks for Expert gear to gain CP over SC)

By the end of the 2nd week (assuming you cap Crusader Marks and Void Stones) through mixing and matching - you could acquire Helm, Belt, Shoulders and Boots - and still have change left over. This doesn't count dungeon drops, raid drops, raid mark gear or crafted gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenrose View Post
    Informative post, thank you for this.

As far as gear grinding goes... I don't think it will be nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. Both World and Expert gear are of comparable stat weights and both take the same type of synergy crystal. This means I can easily mix and match for the stats I prefer (ie: For shoulders: Using Void Stones for Open world gear instead of Crusader Marks for Expert gear to gain CP over SC)

By the end of the 2nd week (assuming you cap Crusader Marks and Void Stones) through mixing and matching - you could acquire Helm, Belt, Shoulders and Boots - and still have change left over. This doesn't count dungeon drops, raid drops, raid mark gear or crafted gear.
    This is correct, but doing that would mean you have no vendor essences in your sigil at all. They're massive upgrades over what we have from Storm Legion.

This is a major issue on why I do not like the world gear using the same currency as essences. World gear is attractive to some players. Essences are a requirement for all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    This is correct, but doing that would mean you have no vendor essences in your sigil at all. They're massive upgrades over what we have from Storm Legion.

This is a major issue on why I do not like the world gear using the same currency as essences. World gear is attractive to some players. Essences are a requirement for all players.
    He is right. The gains are massive. Having vendor essences is not going to be optional for high end content.

Rift Disciple

I agree this whole thing is a mess. I understand the want to shake the tree a bit, especially after the gear unification, but there's limits to the sensibility of it. It smacks of 'we don't have enough content ready, so we won't let you charge through what we do have'.

Regarding essences, I think another issue that hasn't been mentioned as much is the rep grind for them. In conjunction with the VS cap, that means you can grind and grind and grind rep, but at some point you're not getting any more VS to go along with it. That puts an artificial cap on how much rep you would actually want to grind, given that part of your rewards are just disappearing into thin air. It's a bit of running out of milk before cookies.

Trion, I was one of those people that wholeheartedly agreed with you pushing back 3.0. I defended it to anyone who would listen, because I believe the extra time for polish is important. Please, please, use that time to revisit this issue.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #110
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Koraii View Post
    I agree this whole thing is a mess. I understand the want to shake the tree a bit, especially after the gear unification, but there's limits to the sensibility of it. It smacks of 'we don't have enough content ready, so we won't let you charge through what we do have'.
    No - the target values we are using for time to gear (based on experts) is very close to the original target time to gear that Storm Legion had.

Some of you remember that release, and some of you did not experience that, but instead experienced the gain rates of a mature expansion / product.

As with every time we release new gear, we start with the base number, and adjust it over time to allow folks to catch up easier as needed.

Something else some of you may or may not remember is that shard hopping did not used to exist. Your rate of gain of Infinity Stones was not nearly the rate that is possible today with shard hopping and cross events. I think the game is far better for having shard hopping, but it does create a massive faucet of currency - this was not addressed when we released the cross server features because at the time in the expansion life cycle, allowing folks to catch up on Infinity Stones was deemed OK.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    No - the target values we are using for time to gear (based on experts) is very close to the original target time to gear that Storm Legion had.

Some of you remember that release, and some of you did not experience that, but instead experienced the gain rates of a mature expansion / product.

As with every time we release new gear, we start with the base number, and adjust it over time to allow folks to catch up easier as needed.

Something else some of you may or may not remember is that shard hopping did not used to exist. Your rate of gain of Infinity Stones was not nearly the rate that is possible today with shard hopping and cross events. I think the game is far better for having shard hopping, but it does create a massive faucet of currency - this was not addressed when we released the cross server features because at the time in the expansion life cycle, allowing folks to catch up on Infinity Stones was deemed OK.

~Daglar
    Daglar is there any chance to remove the credits price on world/expert gear? At least all ppl will have to farm to get the gear and not pay their way through. I think it seems logic and fair
    After a month or so enable the credits price
    And btw is there gonna be an update on pts today?
    Last edited by simpa1988; 10-07-2014 at 11:27 AM.

~Daglar
    All completely irrelevant information if you will be selling Expert / World gear / essences / Synergy crystals / Earring slots, etc - for credits on release.

Please address that?

Not to mention increased rate of gain via shard hopping is utterly useless with a currency cap.
    Last edited by Gwenddydd; 10-07-2014 at 11:27 AM.

As several others in this thread have stated, I rarely agree with your posts, Will. But this one I didn't hesitate to like, and I think it lays out the problem with the current numbers quite well. I, like others, understand that the gear people have when first going into NT T1 raids will be a mix of things, world, dungeon, dungeon drops, and crafted, and that of course you don't need a full set of one tier before even beginning the next, and all of these factors, plus the guild/patron bonuses for some players, help with the gearing process.

I think what really scares me about all this, above anything else, is the idea of multiple roles. Rift is built on a system of swapping roles, not being locked into "tank" or "dps" or what have you. I'm one of those people, and I know lots of others are as well. I even have separate healing and dps gear, though that's certainly not nearly as necessary as separate tank gear, of course. So when I read this thread, I see every number multiplied by two, and in some cases three. When I see that it could take several months to get a full set of gear at one tier, it makes me really question whether or not I can continue to play multiple roles, or if I'll have to become "only spec tank" instead of just "main spec tank" and that makes me sad.

In another thought, I have seen a couple posts mention it, but people seriously need to take look at just how many accelerators it takes to upgrade crafted gear....the two handed weapons are literally 40 cells for the last upgrade. FORTY cells.... The helm takes 6, the chest takes 12...the server just went down, probably for an update, but crafting still needs to have another pass, I would say.
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD 3/3 BOS
    New to Rift? Free bag, cape, weapon glow, and title with my Ascend-a-Friend code: EPZHJKQ3DDYHG7GDEDHJ

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #114
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenddydd View Post
    All completely irrelevant information if you will be selling Expert / World gear / essences / Synergy crystals / Earring slots, etc - for credits on release.

Please address that?
    Yes, I will address that. RIFT is a free to play game. We will be selling non-best in slot gear on the store. Nothing has changed with our policy on this.

I understand that this is very upsetting to some of you that are on the bleeding edge. I know that there are some of you that believe fully that a guild of millionaires is going to appear on day one and down all the content. I'm pretty confident that is not the case - unless those millionaires are also really, really, good at RIFT.

Launching a free to play expansion is not something we've done yet. This is the direction we are heading in - and its in line with our previous live updates.

There are other issues I'll continue to look at, adjusting pricing and time to acquire on items - and the amount of work that free players must put in vs patrons to hit the caps - and what types of content those players will have to do in order to hit those caps.

~Daglar

Rift Disciple

There are other issues I'll continue to look at, adjusting pricing and time to acquire on items - and the amount of work that free players must put in vs patrons to hit the caps - and what types of content those players will have to do in order to hit those caps.

~Daglar
    I think this is what people needed to hear. Thank you.

Yes, I will address that. RIFT is a free to play game. We will be selling non-best in slot gear on the store. Nothing has changed with our policy on this.

I understand that this is very upsetting to some of you that are on the bleeding edge. I know that there are some of you that believe fully that a guild of millionaires is going to appear on day one and down all the content. I'm pretty confident that is not the case - unless those millionaires are also really, really, good at RIFT.

Launching a free to play expansion is not something we've done yet. This is the direction we are heading in - and its in line with our previous live updates.

~Daglar
    Well thats all I needed to know.

Last slap in the face I needed from this game.

~Daglar
    You say it was ok for folks to catch up with infinity Stones. But now you put in a mechanic that makes it impossible for players to catch up with the VS.
    Yes there is the shard hopping. Yes it makes it really easy to earn IS now. But how is a cap on the marks a solution? Make the gear expensive. But as a player who cant be here at start i will be behind already with no way to catch up. I wouldnt mind expensive prices if i can sit down and get the work on the stones.

But now im going to sit here. Do some Invasions with shard hoping. Reach the cap log off and play another game. Because all else would be wasted time.

We will be selling non-best in slot gear on the store. Nothing has changed with our policy on this.
    Not true, btw. You have never sold even "non best" gear when it was the ONLY GEAR that could be attained. You cannot get the best gear WITHOUT this "non best gear".

You also can't say that this is your POLICY and then say this:

Launching a free to play expansion is not something we've done yet.
    In the same breath.

You have no policy as far as it applies a launch of a new expansion.

STOP trying to spin everything and make it look like you're all benevolent and caring. The almighty $$ you chase is your only policy at the moment. No one is fooled by that.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #119
    Rift Team

Not true, btw. You have never sold even "non best" gear when it was the ONLY GEAR that could be attained. You cannot get the best gear WITHOUT this "non best gear".
    You can obtain the other gear. The 10 player sliver will be available on day one. You can earn currency towards it from a variety of activities on day one. The amount of time it takes to earn the best gear takes time via marks yes. It also drops.

You have no policy as far as it applies a launch of a new expansion.

STOP trying to spin everything and make it look like you're all benevolent and caring. The almighty $$ you chase is your only policy at the moment. No one is fooled by that.
    No, we do have a policy of how things work in general, and its the same one we've for the most part kept to since the release of free to play.

You are super upset about this change. There are zero words I am going to be able to tell you that will make you happy about this. You are free to express your opinion - but I believe everyone in this thread myself included, already understand your position.

~Daglar

I know that there are some of you that believe fully that a guild of millionaires is going to appear on day one and down all the content. I'm pretty confident that is not the case - unless those millionaires are also really, really, good at RIFT.

~Daglar
    That actually made me laugh out loud. I wonder if that guild will call themselves "A milli".
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast