Closed Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Nightmare Tide: Gearing and You

Still sounds like I want it and I want it now.

Don't like doing something, then don't do it, it will just take you longer to gear up. Seriously, what is the problem?

(unless you're impatient and want it NOW and don't want to work for it)

As for how long it takes to gear up...are you the kind of people who will moan and whine you have nothing to do a week after release if you got all your gear quicker?

There has to be some incentive to keep logging in.....if you decide not to bother, then not sure Trion really care. You quoted something on page one Gwen, being sarcastic about someone s'little corner' of the game.

(I think you will find your corner of the game (hardcore raiding) is significantly smaller.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenddydd View Post
    One - The grind to gear up as is could take an exorbitant amount of time.
    I personally do not find an issue with this. Then again, I grew up with games where the only way to progress was to farm thousands of mobs to earn reputation to purchase one single equipment.

Two - The grind to gear up as is can be BYPASSED by spending real money.
    This is what I have an issue with. As long as any piece of equipment is relevant, then the availability of that with non-playing methods is against what the advertising of the game says.

Three - PVP / PVE players who elect not to spend money to gear up will be forced to do content that they dislike. (PVP'ers that don't want to PVE and vice versa) because of the unification of PVP/PVE gear.
    I also do not have an issue with that, even though I hate any form of PvP with passion.

This is not an easy situation to fix other than almost wiping the slate clean and starting over and implementing a system similar to what we have in SL.
    I actually believe that an intermediate solution can be found, as long as it is codable and the developers want to do it. I'll illustrate an example:

- You complete an expert. You gain 400 Abyssal marks from PvE progress.
    - You complete another expert. You gain another for 800 total from PvE progress
    - You complete a warfront. The game counts that you have earned 400 from PvP progress, therefore you do not gain anything.
    - You complete another WF. Now the game counts that you have earned a total of 800 from PvP, and another 800 from PvE, for a total of 800 effective for the week.
    - You complete another WF, that's 1200 from PvP, and those are added to your actual currency window.

In other words the game could maintain how many you have earned from either PvE or PvP and give you the max from those 2 sources. But of course, those who actually like to do both content would argue that this design goes against them.

*** Remember, the biggest argument against the VS cap is that anyone can pay to skip the grind. If we were all starting off on even footing with an even shot and gearing at the same rate.. this wouldn't be such an issue.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ualani View Post
    Still sounds like I want it and I want it now.

Don't like doing something, then don't do it, it will just take you longer to gear up. Seriously, what is the problem?
    It's not at all "I want it and I want it now."

It's I want it the same as everyone else. If the grind is going to take 3 months, then fine. It should take 3 months for everyone. You shouldn't get to skip those 3 months because you bought everything you needed with cash.

And by little corner of the world, what I meant was that everyone has their niche area of Rift that they focus on. Some skip around through everything here and there, some focus on one aspect over another.

If they put artificial gates on all the other content, everyone else would be yelling about this too.

Imagine - you can't get to 450 in your crafting skills unless you grind Grandmaster Craftsman's tokens for 3 months. BUT! You could buy a skill orb that instantly maxes your crafting.

You can't farm herbs and ores all day, you're limited to 10 herbs and 10 ores per day. BUT! For a small fee, you could buy a "flower picking orb" that removes the cap so now you can get as many as you want.

You can only do a chronicle once a week and you have to farm 5,000 chronicle marks to upgrade the gear that drops in there. BUT! You can buy a chronicle orb that lets you do the chronicle daily AND gives you one free upgrade orb per day.

(Dear lord I hope i didn't just give them any ideas)

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Artificially gating content yet offering CASH options to SKIP past the gates.

The gates, similarly, are exorbitantly long and painful grinds - so painful that paying to skip them seems the only logical solution.

Remember, the biggest argument against the VS cap is that anyone can pay to skip the grind. If we were all starting off on even footing with an even shot and gearing at the same rate.. this wouldn't be such an issue.
    and exactly how many do you think will really do that? Honestly. Is your entire raiding guild going to do it? Unlikely. Will you laugh in the faces of people who bought their gear and can't play? Likely.

Does someone buying it affect your game in any way whatsoever? No it doesn't. (and don't say they can raid before you, because as above, most likely they can't play anyway, and as you should know, skill always beats gear. Will you be doing 65 T1's in your current gear? Yes you will.....so...gear is rather moot entirely isn't it?

One wonders how you did current T1's etc...without having the best gear at the time.....

Ultimately, I really do question the logic of being so against it. How does it affect you in any personal way. Hardcore raiders (why they here at all is a mystery, but regardless) will want to 'earn it'.....a casual player looking to have a little fun will buy it.

Really...and you have not answered this, what is the issue?

(and before any flames me, I neither care about any of it and don't raid anyway, and couldn't care less about having good gear or the syupid long progression for it....far more to do in the game than the same crap over and over and over daily and daily for something with a few more stats imo).
    Last edited by Ualani; 10-07-2014 at 08:12 AM.

and exactly how many do you think will really do that? Honestly. Is your entire raiding guild going to do it? Unlikely. Will you laugh in the faces of people who bought their gear and can't play? Likely.

Does someone buying it affect your game in any way whatsoever? No it doesn't. (and don't say they can raid before you, because as above, most likely they can't play anyway, and as you should know, skill always beats gear. Will you be doing 65 T1's in your current gear? Yes you will.....so...gear is rather moot entirely isn't it?

One wonders how you did current T1's etc...without having the best gear at the time.....
    Have you counted the number of shark mounts you see running around?

And the point is exactly that not everyone will do it. I have a raiding guild with eight different teams. They are going to be all over the place in gear progression and it will be a very long time before they can all run content as they do now with some people steaming ahead and other stuck behind the grind.

It DIRECTLY affects my game play as I will not be able to raid as soon as others - EITHER because I bought the gear and others have not, or I did not buy the gear and others have.

And who the hell is talking about the BEST gear?? We're talking expert gear, the bare minimum needed to get into raid. Not best gear by any means.

I don't expect to walk into the T1 raid already geared with T1 gear. That would be stupid.

Edit - my current gear (T2 / T3 raid gear) is NOT enough to do 65 T1s. You're misinformed. It is not even enough to do 65 expert dungeons.
    Last edited by Gwenddydd; 10-07-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Ultimately, I really do question the logic of being so against it. How does it affect you in any personal way. Hardcore raiders (why they here at all is a mystery, but regardless) will want to 'earn it'.....a casual player looking to have a little fun will buy it.
    As a casual ... no I will not buy it as I find my fun in earning things. However, I do not find it fun to take a year to earn them.

I buy patron passes, I buy fluff mounts and wardrobes, I buy the CE pack that best fits my wants, I support Trion sometimes monthly, sometimes weekly. However, I refuse to purchase gear for credits as that feels like cheating to me.

I hate to say this but it's how I feel. Rift's motto has always been "No Trials, No Tricks, No Traps". I feel by setting up a lengthy grind and allowing it to be bypassed with money, that Daglar has started turning tricks.

Telaran

Even though i agree with some of the points being made here, i feel like you guys are completely forgetting the fact that dungeon bosses drop gear, and that gear bought with marks is supposed to make up for bad RNG.
    Sixpm@Wolfsbane <Undaunted>
    Diggityprime@Wolfsbane (New Main Hype)

Quote Originally Posted by SixPM View Post
    Even though i agree with some of the points being made here, i feel like you guys are completely forgetting the fact that dungeon bosses drop gear, and that gear bought with marks is supposed to make up for bad RNG.
    Nobody in their right mind is going to use void stones on the 7 piece armor set. There's too much to buy in essences, synergy crystals, void accelerators, earrings etc.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by dead2soon View Post
    Nobody in their right mind is going to use void stones on the 7 piece armor set. There's too much to buy in essences, synergy crystals, void accelerators, earrings etc.
    well if it is anything like Storm Legion, essences are going to be behind a rep grind so it will still take you a while to get them anyway. As for synergy crystals and void accelerators, we don't know how much they are going to cost. as long as they are reasonably priced though, we should be fine.

Earrings are BS though. they should have just been released for everyone right away, or made everyone earn them in game.
    Sixpm@Wolfsbane <Undaunted>
    Diggityprime@Wolfsbane (New Main Hype)

well if it is anything like Storm Legion, essences are going to be behind a rep grind so it will still take you a while to get them anyway. As for synergy crystals and void accelerators, we don't know how much they are going to cost. as long as they are reasonably priced though, we should be fine.

Earrings are BS though. they should have just been released for everyone right away, or made everyone earn them in game.
    Difference between SL and now would be the weekly cap. You could grind out an infinite number of Infinity Stones for the SL world gear, now you're limited to 35k Void Stones per week in Nightmare Tide.

Many of these items will need thousands to purchase, so buying any piece of world gear puts you behind multiple weeks in the amount of currency required to complete your sigil.

I think void accelerators are 6k each and you need 15 for an essence upgrade. So that's 90k per essence right there plus 54k to get the essence. You really will have to save beforehand. A lot.
    Last edited by dead2soon; 10-07-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Where are the mods? Where are the devs? We need to know if they intend to go forward with this atrocious design.

Quote Originally Posted by ConclusionTheFirst View Post
    Where are the mods? Where are the devs? We need to know if they intend to go forward with this atrocious design.
    It's important to remember my post is worst case scenario in terms of gains. It would be a free to play player(meaning no patron, no token boosts), who is not in a guild that would earn these sort of marks.

I know another currency pass will take place sometime this week (not in response to this, but after this post they may do more) and I know some things like essences are currently double the price they should be. I expect we may have a response once numbers are more final.
    Last edited by Techie Will; 10-07-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ConclusionTheFirst View Post
    Hopefully they are busy working on NT. With the way the devs tend to drop in threads I have faith they are reading this and hopefully, at the very least, discussing this issue. I honestly don't expect a reply from them until they are close to finalizing their plans on the cap and prices.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast