Closed Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Nightmare Tide: Gearing and You

Plane Touched

This system isn't working. We should make it so that BIS PVE gear can only be obtained via PVP and PVP BIS gear is only obtainable via PVE. This way both sides won't feel left out by the other side having an unfair advantage at obtaining gear. Caps can be removed so that each individual can decide how much of the thing they don't want to do they can stand. Everyone will then be equally unhappy which is practically the same thing as being happy since no one seems to feel the current system is fair (and we all know that fairness is what drives happiness).

Quote Originally Posted by Feonora View Post
    Trion,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

Keep your casuals happy, you need someone to feed the friggin whales after all.

There wasn't a single thing about that video I didnt love.

I didn't mind the F2p Storm Legion execution that much TBH I was a Patron and if I wanted to gift a guildie some rex I was more than happy to!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I've commented on this before, and I'll do so again here. Once general pricing is done, I've got to audit the store and remove prices from anything that "could be considered BIS".

~Daglar
    well finally the essences are in a pretty smashing spot overall, the dungeon gear has acceptable values as well. the cost on some of the VS gear is still concerning and would love to see that reduced and then you can remove the credit tag for the beginning of NT and call it a day since this will be our only minor victory for the time being. also nice blow with raid item this is nt pack. nt pack this is raid item. was not expecting to see you splash this over here as well

Plane Touched

Trion,

Spot on that video.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by goia402 View Post
    well finally the essences are in a pretty smashing spot overall, the dungeon gear has acceptable values as well. the cost on some of the VS gear is still concerning and would love to see that reduced and then you can remove the credit tag for the beginning of NT and call it a day since this will be our only minor victory for the time being. also nice blow with raid item this is nt pack. nt pack this is raid item. was not expecting to see you splash this over here as well
    This is something i do not think enough players are aware of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BehemothDog View Post
    There wasn't a single thing about that video I didnt love.

I didn't mind the F2p Storm Legion execution that much TBH I was a Patron and if I wanted to gift a guildie some rex I was more than happy to!
    I agree. That video was amazing and points out most of the criticisms I have for F2P games, this one included.

Rift isn't there like many iOS games, but there are a lot of design decisions I'm seeing in 3.0 that raise a lot of flags.
    Trion has already starting chasing the "whales", and it's obvious why.
    Executives at a business probably look at the numbers and see the "whale" numbers. Dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars on stuff a month. It'll look far better visually then seeing a whole bunch of players doing $10-$40 purchases a month.

Instead of pumping out lots of mounts at various colours at $3-$5, they pump out lots of mounts at $15-$20, or hidden behind RNG gambling.

Instead of having seasonal events that are fun to participate in and maybe entice a person to drop a few bucks for an outfit, they are a MASSIVE grind and are designed to only pump out the best rewards to the people who drop the money.
    This is evident simply because there have been achievements tied directly to spending credits.

MMOs are the worst because MMOs by design are suppose to be made to keep players playing day after day.
    When you add that concept to chasing "whales" you get such a poor game design that it turns tons of people away.

Again. Rift isn't there yet, but 3.0 has some red flags.
    The gear attunement, the currency caps being nigh impossible unless you're a patron or buy boosts.
    It's not ToR or LOTRO by any means thankfully, but there is some worry there.

Telaran

Spot on video

I've commented on this before, and I'll do so again here. Once general pricing is done, I've got to audit the store and remove prices from anything that "could be considered BIS".

~Daglar
    Hope u remove the credits price from expert/world gear and bis essences for a while
    Thanks
    Last edited by simpa1988; 10-08-2014 at 03:08 PM.

It was the best of times,
    it was the worst of times,
    it was the age of high tides,
    it was the age of low tides,
    it was the epoch of feedback,
    it was the epoch of contempt,
    it was the season of Dreams,
    it was the season of Nightmares,
    it was the spring of hope,
    it was the winter of despair.

What I really am upset about is even as a 'casual raider' I downed my 1st raid boss less than 2 months after hitting 50 back in the 1.X days. Can that even happen in 3.0?

I had the gear needed and could heal/DPS (Mage style) enough to with a bit of arrogance say that I was pulling my weight. It only costed me 15 a month and I was SO HAPPY!

I was playing the game, having fun and didn't even mind getting roflstomped in HK for looooonnnng nights because I was only being held back by the myself and my fellow raiders not the gearing up process.

I still logged in every day and played as much as I could. The game was SO FUN that I didn't need some BS cap to keep my at my keyboard.

Then EI came out OMG BEST DAY EVER@!!!111 Same thing applied, relatively quick gear climb and BAM more fun raiding. Again I still logged in and did events,dungeons,raids, and pvp for lulz, but I was still always having fun.

When SL came out I was planning on doing the same but real life crit me for about 30k.

We as players don't NEED a long grind. Just fun content. Hell I ran GSB many more times after killing AKY just cuz I liked it and I had fun bring my OP self to help out those who needed the loot. (The PA was a nice addition too)

Trion has shown they can make a game long lasting simply cuz its great. very few BS gates are needed much less enjoyed.

Soulwalker

i will try the game out for a while with some buds...if it proves to be bad like it looks, guess i'll have to try wow..

Soulwalker

Trion,

rather fascinating that people are quoting this video so much , even though the prime example of a good f2p game in that video was hearthstone , a game where you could at release buy thousands of cards with enough money , and dominate their "competitve" mode early on and were heavily gated in the amount of progress/gameplay you can do by daily quests and arena,

Although in heartstone after half a year to a year of good play you can have all the cards that you want! , I wonder where i've heard of that concept before....
    Oh but i forgot , in rift you actually cant even buy the best gear you can only buy the 2nd best gear, damn they obviously don't fit into the good f2p mmo basket.

On that note , i hate rng crates and RIC in cq or scrolls type of drops and these are more of an issues that any of the silly woes that some people have.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shhefu View Post
    rather fascinating that people are quoting this video so much , even though the prime example of a good f2p game in that video was hearthstone , a game where you could at release buy thousands of cards with enough money , and dominate their "competitve" mode early on and were heavily gated in the amount of progress/gameplay you can do by daily quests and arena,

Although in heartstone after half a year to a year of good play you can have all the cards that you want! , I wonder where i've heard of that concept before....
    Oh but i forgot , in rift you actually cant even buy the best gear you can only buy the 2nd best gear, damn they obviously don't fit into the good f2p mmo basket.

On that note , i hate rng crates and RIC in cq or scrolls type of drops and these are more of an issues that any of the silly woes that some people have.
    What is Hearthstone? I don't know or care anything about it. It had nothing to do with 95% of the video anyway.
    Last edited by Aypoc; 10-08-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Ascendant

Online card game. That they praised for having a great F2P model. Because you can get a great satisfying experience for just 2$, and that you CAN drop thousands on the game to get maxed out with all the bling immediately. So it's great for the low end players, AND the whales.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Rift Master

Yes, I will address that. RIFT is a free to play game. We will be selling non-best in slot gear on the store. Nothing has changed with our policy on this.

I understand that this is very upsetting to some of you that are on the bleeding edge. I know that there are some of you that believe fully that a guild of millionaires is going to appear on day one and down all the content. I'm pretty confident that is not the case - unless those millionaires are also really, really, good at RIFT.

Launching a free to play expansion is not something we've done yet. This is the direction we are heading in - and its in line with our previous live updates.

There are other issues I'll continue to look at, adjusting pricing and time to acquire on items - and the amount of work that free players must put in vs patrons to hit the caps - and what types of content those players will have to do in order to hit those caps.

~Daglar
    Daglar, I can get straight into Expert Dungeons with no more than 6300 credits (head, legs, chest & gloves) & from there just need to find another 110 hit to raid which I will probably have anyway from lvl 65 dropped/Auctioned weapons & neck. This is based on having 2 lvl 60 rings at 65 hit ea (I have 78 hit). Because hit is being dropped from rings & picked up through Legs & Chest, of which can be bought via credits, it creates a fast track with minimal dps/stat loss.

I think you over-estimate just how much money needs to be spent to skip the lineal progression that has always existed beforehand & hearing you use statements like 'millionaire' seems wildly patronising to the actual reality of the matter when it only takes less than $50 to bypass this whole bottleneck you tried to create with the capping of VS's because you didn't want people to get expert quality gear too fast.

I for one have already got my credits ready if this is to occur on launch & I would be a fool not to now I know how easy it is.

Path of least resistance!
    misunderstanding the nature of statistics: (e.g., the majority of people in the United States die in hospitals, therefore, stay out of them.) "Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive." -- Wallace Irwin

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast