Closed Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Nightmare Tide: Gearing and You

Quote Originally Posted by Sepulcro View Post
    So if they make the change you are preposing. A PVP player can earn all of their marks and hit cap. A PVE player can earn all of THEIR marks and hit cap, and what about the player who does both? Now they hit cap before they finish doing all of their PVP and PVE content.. So now they have all of this content to do but no rewards for doing it. How do you take care of THAT type of player?

Not only that but lets say you don't like PVP and just like PVE and you do your PVE content and hit cap, but you are only a few marks away from the next gear you want. Well all you have to do is hold your nose and do some PVP and bang goes the dynamite you have your gear! Woot. But if they do it as you propose they wont have that option, so they just have to wait until reset. Why isn't more options better?
    The type of player you're talking about still gets rewarded. What it seems you're having an issue with is not being rewarded for your playstyle. Lets not forget a key point here:

Before this, you were capped at earning a very specific number of marks (in both PvE and PvP) per week because of the daily randoms and weekly quests. There was no way for you to "Well all you have to do is hold your nose and do some ____" before either. It's not like that was changed.

And remember, if you could do it all and get rewarded for it all, the cost of the gear would go up exponentially because that currency is available on a weekly basis. The time to obtain gear is the same with this structure of a cap or having the cap above all the aspects of the game. Lower currency gain = lower gear cost. Higher currency gain = higher gear cost.

Lastly, you're not being punished for playing different sides of the game. You're actually getting rewarded. How? They're telling you, a player who does both PvP and PvE, that they are now more effective than before the release of 3.0. That you can get the same reward for less time spent than before.

So, are you really the type that would complain about getting the same reward in a less amount of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Azurrei View Post
    Let's see... cap currency on an alt, level an alt, do some classic raids, become an AH hero, go gathering, farm mobs for drops, decorate your dimension, go look at other dimensions, take up fishing... or go play another game...maybe get some sun? Plenty to do - maybe you should expand your horizons instead of viewing life as capping currencies in Rift and then complain there is nothing to do until reset.
    Exactly this. People can play for fun and that's being ignored a lot around here. Gear is a driving force, but it should be a force that is limited per week (as it has been for the last two years).

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I understand that this is very upsetting to some of you that are on the bleeding edge. I know that there are some of you that believe fully that a guild of millionaires is going to appear on day one and down all the content. I'm pretty confident that is not the case - unless those millionaires are also really, really, good at RIFT.
    You don't need real life $$ to circumvent the currency caps anyways. REX can be bought, since making plat is a joke, to completely get around these currency caps as well. The issue isn't buying the gear with credits as I think that should become an option sometime down the line when relevant content is cleared. The issue is having these currency caps that limit the amount of gear you can obtain, but can be completely negated by either spending $$, or buying REX. You are essentially splitting the player-base by having a crowd limited by the currency cap, and a crowd that can completely circumvent that issue and get through the gear progression at a much quicker rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Well, my original feedback uses caps as a way to keep players from feeling forced into doing content. Players see caps as limitations and the initial reaction is "They're trying to hold us back!". A good cap keeps a player from burning themselves out, a bad cap forces them into doing everything.

What I've suggested to Daglar is to make the cap low enough to where we can hit it without doing everything. This takes away the whole idea of "forcing" players to do one aspect of the game they do not enjoy. I think it makes perfect sense. Obviously pricing of items is reduced, as we earn currency a tad slower overall through each week.
    The caps, in whatever form they take, would be more palatable if it weren't for the credit prices on everything that is capped. I still detest the idea of caps on open world currency, but if *everyone* were subject to those limitations, it wouldn't be as bad. Even better, find another way to "cap" without putting a hard limit - maybe diminishing returns after "x" number of zone events participated in a daily reset.

Or maybe you only get the big rewards for participating in a zone event once per day (in SL terms, full participation in the Volan event gets you 750 IS the first time you run it in a day - the second and subsequent you earn 1/10 of that. This way, you minimize the effect that shard-hopping has on VS acquisition, without putting an arbitrary cap on the earning potential. No matter what you do, for how long and how often, you can still achieve progress.

Anything that potentially causes gameplay to go unrewarded is, in my opinion, bad for the game. Coupling that with what looks to be a very long grind (if the numbers bandied about remain in play). Allowing people to bypass that simply because they pay cold hard cash is a slap in the face to the people who want to *play* the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    No. Was monetization in mind with the expansion? Yes. Is it a driving force behind a cap? No. There wouldn't be a cap if money was on their minds, they would have super cheap dungeon/warfront charges so you could buy your way to success each week.
    I'd *like* to agree with you, but by all appearances it looks like Trion is turning more and more to the cash grab side of things.

The AH changes were the beginning of this slide, I think. No, monetization is not the only explanation for any of the changes they've made in the last few months. However, it is a plausible reason for *every* change they've made. Honestly, all they need to do now is make the items used to upgrade gear credit-only, and Trion is really no different from Perfect World...
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

Plane Touched

This probably piss me off the most right now.

current bis lessers from the store cost either 30k planarite + 20000 void stones or 900 credits.
    armor cost between 7500 - 18750 abyssal crusader's marks or between 855 - 2160 credits.
    the world gear cost between 28000 - 52500 void stones or between 855 - 2160 credits.

It really feel like that trion is trying to get more people to buy gear with credits ....

So this bottleneck is purely there to get more people to buy stuff with credits ... since that bypass the bottleneck
    GG trion ... GG

Oh and i also checked the crafted gear and that require the use of void accelerators to be expert tier that you need for raiding .... so there is that cap again .....
    Last edited by Opira; 10-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Opira View Post
    This probably piss me off the most right now.

current bis lessers from the store cost either 30k planarite + 20000 void stones or 900 credits.
    armor cost between 7500 - 18750 abyssal crusader's marks or between 855 - 2160 credits.
    the world gear cost between 28000 - 52500 void stones or between 855 - 2160 credits.

It really feel like that trion is trying to get more people to buy gear with credits ....

So this bottleneck is purely there to get more people to buy stuff with credits ... since that bypass the bottleneck
    GG trion ... GG

Oh and i also checked the crafted gear and that require the use of void accelerators to be expert tier that you need for raiding .... so there is that cap again .....
    oh i forgot to mention the fact that there is the accelerators as well ...
    They cost
    2000 abyssal crusader mark's for a abyssal crusader's accelerator
    and 5850 void stones for a void source accelerator . They both cost 270 credits each.

Rift Chaser

Can the credit prices from the top essences please be removed. Considering they're the top essences you can buy, this goes against Trion's policy. Thank you.

Pricing updates went in today on the PTS for a number of items. People should hop on and check them out if they have access. I'm planning on doing a big comparison between before and after when I've got time tonight or tomorrow.

Plane Touched

Oh my lord......... Daglar you gotta be kidding me. I just found this on the PTS:

20k void stones for bis lesser (cap is 35k) BUT you can BUY the best possible lesser with credits.

And the cap on Abyssal Marks you can see in the image.. You can also see the price. Again, you can buy it for credits.

This is a flippin insult.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mimy View Post
    Oh my lord......... Daglar you gotta be kidding me. I just found this on the PTS:

20k void stones for bis lesser (cap is 35k) BUT you can BUY the best possible lesser with credits.

And the cap on Abyssal Marks you can see in the image.. You can also see the price. Again, you can buy it for credits.

Devils advocate hat: Unless the upgrade cost changed, you can't actually buy the BiS lesser since it needs a raid thingy to upgrade, the unupgraded one isn't technically BiS.
    Hat off: that's still way too close to the fine line, iirc relics are bolstered down in PvP, which means BiS PvP gear is effectively up for credits.

To be a little more fair you need 8 accelerators at 6k vs each (yesterday anyways) to upgrade the lesser to BIS. Also you can't buy them without the rep. Granted you can still buy BIS lessers for real world $$$.
    Last edited by dead2soon; 10-08-2014 at 01:12 PM.

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #221
    Rift Team

I've commented on this before, and I'll do so again here. Once general pricing is done, I've got to audit the store and remove prices from anything that "could be considered BIS".

~Daglar

I've commented on this before, and I'll do so again here. Once general pricing is done, I've got to audit the store and remove prices from anything that "could be considered BIS".

~Daglar
    Thank you for the clarification. I had not seen this statement before.

Thank you for this information. I've been playing open beta and didn't really know what to do with the stones I was collecting. Coming from a PvP-only background all of this is new.

Plane Touched

~Daglar
    Good! Since there was another update today i figured we are close to a final decision in the store. Can you PLEASE REMOVE THE CURRENCY CAP ON VOID STONES? Please! Im losing players in my guild over this, Daglar. Wish you knew how hard it is to keep a guild going strong for nearly 4 years..

~Daglar
    But it is already on the PTS, and we all know that once something is on the PTS it is set in stone for ever and will never change for any reason!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast