Closed Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Nightmare Tide: Gearing and You

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Inny View Post
    Give this a shot: try and farm as many infinity stones as you can without hopping shards.
    When icewatch was around at launch there was constant events in kingsward morban ashora and infinity stepps. Events was not a problem.

OK BIS lessers did come down in price.

28k vs each
    48k vs each for the upgrade accelerators
    so you'll need 456k per bis focus which with a cap of 32k per week
    so it will take you 15 weeks per focus.

You can get an non upgraded focus in about 6 weeks which is a bit better.

if there is to be one I'd much prefer it to be a balanced, fair, and thoroughly researched one.
    While people keep making uninformed posts...I'll keep trolling as Gwen accused me of.

Everyone, if they put the effort and time in, and do all the different activities, can all earn the same amount. So what is not fair or unbalanced.

What you meant to say was, make it so I can earn enough that I think I should be able to. Or, make it so I can earn considerably more if I spend 20 hours a day playing.

if you're going to make statements, let's keep them accurate eh?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    You can obtain the other gear. The 10 player sliver will be available on day one. You can earn currency towards it from a variety of activities on day one. The amount of time it takes to earn the best gear takes time via marks yes. It also drops.

No, we do have a policy of how things work in general, and its the same one we've for the most part kept to since the release of free to play.

You are super upset about this change. There are zero words I am going to be able to tell you that will make you happy about this. You are free to express your opinion - but I believe everyone in this thread myself included, already understand your position.

~Daglar

There is one thing you can say regarding this that would make us happy and that would be that you cave and remove the cap.

Telaran

I just have to wonder: What is the point of Trion making more content?

Like. If I was an artist on a game design team, I would want my players to experience everything I've worked hard on.

Not pay a bundle of cash to bypass it.

What's the point of the dungeons, now? What's the point of the raids? Why did you guys even bother? Why not just make the new zones with a bunch of quests, nix the raids and dungeons, and just offer the gear on the store?

This is just.

You guys have made a serious error here. You push back NT dangerously close to the WoW release...then take away most people's motivation for sticking with Rift.

Tell me:
    Why should I want to play this game when everyone who wants to will be able to be three months ahead of me at the start?

How will I be able to get into raids when my guild leader just announced she will no longer play? Progression pugs happen often, but how often will they happen now that people can just buy the gear outright?

As a person who does not have a high amount of disposable income, why should I be punished for not being well off? I play games to relax and have fun, not to worry about whether or not I'll actually get to play with people.

Is there even a point to it anymore unless you're wealthy?

This makes me quite sad. I loved this game. I loved the PTS preview. I was very much looking forward to the expansion.

All I'm seeing now though is a high fantasy version of SOTW. It's a real shame.

Why bother making all the quests, lore, and environments if you're just going to tell your players "Eh, just buy it, it's way easier."

The whole point of an MMORPG, to me, is to simulate an environment where you are always striving for something. I have fun building up my character. I can't speak for everyone else, but I speak for myself here fully: working towards that new shiny bow or helmet is fun. I'm a huge RPG fan, I play Fire Emblem, FF, etc - I love building teams, hunting down rares, finding that coveted piece of gear.

You go into these kinds of games and just hand the stuff to me on a silver platter? It gets boring and pointless pretty quick. You go into these games and tell me I will be at an immediate disadvantage from everybody else unless I pay a few hundred bucks? That's just not cool. I don't want a mind numbingly difficult grind but I also don't want to be pressured into paying to bypass it just so I can raid.

This news just makes me very sad. There's no point in playing if everyone around me gets the best gear right off the bat and leaves me in the dust. By the time I'll be done catching up the good old fashioned way, there'll be no raid slots left. I like world PVE just as well, but I like to see the raid content. Trion, you've taken away the dynamic of guilds working together for gear and progressing together. You've taken away the group teamwork motivation. After all - why bother raiding or doing experts with your friends? You can just buy it all come 3.0. Real, real shame.

People still have a hard time understanding that Storm Legion was an expansion released under the P2P model and Nightmare Tide is not. Trying to draw parallels between the two, including currency concepts, is flawed.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

from what i'm reading in this thread. WoW is looking better and better all the time. at least I know my "grind" time in WoW will be a lot smaller and I won't be capped.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    People still have a hard time understanding that Storm Legion was an expansion released under the P2P model and Nightmare Tide is not. Trying to draw parallels between the two, including currency concepts, is flawed.
    With that logic patrons should have no cap.

.then take away most people's motivation for sticking with Rift.
    Here we go again with the hyperbole...

Most people? Please do not think you raiders are the majority in this game....or speak for the majority of the people who play this game.

hate to tell you, but every statistic out there will tell you that the majority of the population in any F2P game are casuals.

And we couldn't care less what gear you have, or how you got it ;)

Plane Walker

Please note that I said at that point in the expansions life cycle. It isn't a great idea to have an unbounded currency that anyone can grind infinitely every day, at the release of an expansion.

~Daglar
    But unbounded credits, only limited by the credit card is fine? Sadly I agree with you in principle. You are just ignoring the credits side of this, which at least so far you've said will have no bounds.

How much money will Trion really lose waiting to sell Dungeon level gear until a chunk of people are raiding T1? This is really putting a bad taste in people's mouth since you will be selling the best obtainable gear on day one, since raid gear will not be obtainable on day 1 due to the fun grind associated with any mmo expansion. Is it worth it to sell the best obtainable gear on day 1? Sure, by day 60 it won't be best obtainable. But Day 1 it will be.

I'd rather pay 50 bucks for an expansion then what they are doing now. As a pvp only player I'm basically screwed unless I spend the majority of my gaming time pveing

Also the main thing people don't get is this is going to push away veteran's and good players. I saw it in pvp and it crippled the product and community. Its why you see so many people bad at pvp because there is no leadership.

By removing the competition in pve which this does you also push away the leadership in an already dead raiding community

At the release of an expansion there is no need for players to "catch up". Several months down the line, there may be a need to do so, and as always with RIFT, we'll continue to adjust.

~Daglar
    Oh Daglar, you could not be more wrong. At the release of an expansion its the ONLY TIME when this matters. If you lose week because of business trip or whatever and you are a raider, this is the ONLY TIME when this matters. Nobody cares about lost week after 6 months, but EVERY raider cares about lost week at beginning.

Your answer just gives me feeling that you have no clue whatsoever about raiding community in this game.
    T2 12/12, T3 8/8

Quote Originally Posted by Ualani View Post
    While people keep making uninformed posts...I'll keep trolling as Gwen accused me of.

Everyone, if they put the effort and time in, and do all the different activities, can all earn the same amount. So what is not fair or unbalanced.

What you meant to say was, make it so I can earn enough that I think I should be able to. Or, make it so I can earn considerably more if I spend 20 hours a day playing.

if you're going to make statements, let's keep them accurate eh?
    Under the current model, in order to put in my time and earn the "same amount" I'd have to PVP more, which I really don't like doing. I only PVP'd previously because there was a separate currency and I wanted one of the chest pieces to have as wardrobe. THAT is what I mean by fair and balanced. Forcing someone who prefers to PVP into PVE just to get the gear they want (and need in order to do experts) in a reasonable amount of time is not FAIR, and vice versa.

I mean make it so I can earn them in a reasonable amount of time doing whatever it is I enjoy - be that PVP, PVE, Rifts, Events, whatever. NOT make it where I have to do ALL of that just to earn a reasonable amount.
    Last edited by Halowed; 10-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Koraii View Post
    Just to be clear, as my previous post wasn't particularly, I don't care about a cap in and of itself. I also don't have a horse in the race about the credit thing. My issue is specifically about cap vs cost ~ gearing time.

As many have demonstrated, reaching the cap is rarely going to be an issue. The problem is that the prices for things seem to be based off that cap. The resulting farm time for gear is going to drag on, and as it does, people are going to end up in different places depending on their playtime. This will leave many guilds with outliers - people who may be good players, but lose their spots due to not having the time to keep up with everyone else.

I'd only like to see some attention given to normalizing gear acquisition in a reasonable time frame in relation to the cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opira View Post
    There is one thing you can say regarding this that would make us happy and that would be that you cave and remove the cap.
    What most people seem to fail to realize is that the Cap is there to slow you down, to prevent people from grinding Wed-Saturday to Raid on Sunday to clear the 10-Man on Tuesday. There is no way ANY game developer can keep up with the hard cores. The only way to do so is to artificially slow them down. Thus a Cap.

Seriously all of those who are wanting to Raid immediately in NT. What would you do if you had already gotten your World First by Nov 1 on the new 10 man? You would be here on the forums demanding they release the 20 man even if it were in a broken state. You would then be flooding the forums with posts about the broken state the 20 man. By December you would be flooding the forums asking for new content because NT was already old to you.

The Cap gives the developer's time. Time to work on the 20 man, time to work on another raid, without having to rush through it because 4-5 guilds decided to take a week off to complete the raid first.

I'm 50/50 on the selling World and Dungeon gear for credits on day 1. On one hand I don't like the idea anyone could skip the grind. On the other I really doubt anyone is going to pay money to get an item so they can replace it immediately. I feel if the credit price point were such that it would guarantee Trion could afford Dev OT if 10 people did decide to buy an entire set of dungeon gear to finish the 20 man in a week I'd be okay with it.

So yeah I'm okay with the CAP it slows people down and is going to be hard as hell to meet unless you're planning on playing 20 hours a day.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast