+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree29Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Some comments on Trion CEO interview from July

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    ...various responses...
    You make valid points, and again, I don't discount your perspective...I actually agree with more of it than it might seem. But I'm still not convinced that the customer base as a whole is generally more displeased than pleased.

Regardless, thanks for putting these issues in front of Trion in a reasoned, calm manner, and for engaging in discussion about it. The pervasive name-calling, overwrought exaggerations, and unreasonable sense of entitlement displayed by some forum users is NOT the way to push Trion to change or improve anything. Discussion and data will always be more likely to sway people.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Groslyunderpaid View Post
    Put up a poll to find out. Oh wait, you can't.

There are really only two major things I continually see asked for, both on the forums, 60 chat, guild chat, facebook friends, etc, etc.

1) Stop trying to fix things that aren't broken and focus on things that are. XP on SL quests, currency caps, some would say pvp gear, etc.
    2) Don't sell gear on the store that isn't obtainable in the game. It is 100% impossible to be geared for raid within 10 minutes of hitting 65 in game, whenever that is (12 hours after launch? 24?). It is 100% possible to be geared for and participating in a raid 10 minutes after hitting 65 if you buy your gear on the cash shop. This is according to what I've read and heard others say. If its true, then that would literally mean that for a period of time, whether it be an hour, a day, a week, or a month, top end content (Raids) will only be available to those who spend money in the cash shop.
    I agree with both of these points, and I actually think that the store should sell nothing other than cosmetics (clothing, variations on mounts, etc.) and conveniences (extra bag spaces, teleport batteries, etc.).

At the same time, the fact that someone buys their way into quick raid access (or as you added in another post, Experts, PvP, whatever) really doesn't impact me. I will level to 65, grind out whatever rep/achieves are needed to get gear, do dungeons to get more gear, and then start raiding. It is still there for me, and I will enjoy it. Someone buying their way in first doesn't keep me from playing it. Even better, that person will likely get bored with the new content much sooner than I will because I will experience it over time, with friends.

This is more relevant here than where I first posted it.

These are quotes from Scott Hartsman from various interviews found through google.

Quote:

“Quite honestly, we’d rather make less money on people and have them feel better about the experience. So essentially, any time we put something up for sale it needs to be something that A) we don’t think a person’s ever going to regret buying and [B) we want] it to be something they genuinely feel good having purchased. Because we’d rather have people associate [microtransactions] with ‘Hey, you guys did good. Here’s five bucks. Oh cool. I got a great thing I like.’ And that’s really the guiding philosophy around all of it. We could be making more money if we did the rest of that bullsh**, but that’s really not who we want to be.”
    - What we see now, is "if we did the rest of that bullsh**". Paying to skip content, paying to get revelant gear and get ahead of the crowd, even BiS gear only with cash. Minion slots (don't forget a highly important crafting material **only** drops from minion quests, so having one slot only isn't helpful)

"We have followed the same theory that we did for Rift, which is no tricks, no traps; you can play it from level zero to level whatever the heck our max is going to be, and we're not going get in your way,"

Artifical caps get in the way. No tricks? What about the "buy the souls because the whole expansion is free! But.. you really should buy the CE or you'll be far behind the ones who did!" Trick / Trap. Gambling boxes - very tricky indeed especially when they refuse to post odds.

“What we're discovering is that if you take great content and great gameplay and reduce the barriers and take that leap of faith, customers will be there for you and will be there to support you,” he said.

“We live in the age of Kickstarters where people are happy to pitch in on stuff they believe in, and I kind of think that where we are in online game culture is very similar to that: where if you do a good job people will actively find a way to support you.”

That's how it was when Rift first went F2P. Many people kept their subs to show support for Trion. Many people, myself included, bought credits for cool stuff (mounts, pets, outfits, etc) and we bought Rex to sell to make some nice plat. People frequently commented on how Patron wasn't that useful but it was a good way to show support and help Rift stay afloat. Rift made a LOT of money the first 6 months of F2P, but there was a subtle change that turned from that quoted philosophy into nothing short of greed.

Do a good job like you used to. Good customer service, quit with the borderline (and in some cases outright) P2W stuff. Give perks to paying customers WITHOUT adding in penalties for those that don't.

It feels to me like there is an entirely different team driving Rift now. The "old" team, whoever that was, would have loaded in world events already to keep people busy during this wait time. They would have apologized sincerely for all the garbage that's gone on since 2.8 (AH-gate, DDOS (alleged) lock outs, lack of ticket responses, etc. It's been BAD for awhile now.

This "new" team seems solely focused on ways to monetize the game, as opposed to retaining current players and drawing in new ones.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenddydd View Post

These are quotes from Scott Hartsman from various interviews found through google.

Quote:

- What we see now, is "if we did the rest of that bullsh**". Paying to skip content, paying to get revelant gear and get ahead of the crowd, even BiS gear only with cash. Minion slots (don't forget a highly important crafting material **only** drops from minion quests, so having one slot only isn't helpful)

Artifical caps get in the way. No tricks? What about the "buy the souls because the whole expansion is free! But.. you really should buy the CE or you'll be far behind the ones who did!" Trick / Trap. Gambling boxes - very tricky indeed especially when they refuse to post odds.

That's how it was when Rift first went F2P. Many people kept their subs to show support for Trion. Many people, myself included, bought credits for cool stuff (mounts, pets, outfits, etc) and we bought Rex to sell to make some nice plat. People frequently commented on how Patron wasn't that useful but it was a good way to show support and help Rift stay afloat. Rift made a LOT of money the first 6 months of F2P, but there was a subtle change that turned from that quoted philosophy into nothing short of greed.

Do a good job like you used to. Good customer service, quit with the borderline (and in some cases outright) P2W stuff. Give perks to paying customers WITHOUT adding in penalties for those that don't.

It feels to me like there is an entirely different team driving Rift now. The "old" team, whoever that was, would have loaded in world events already to keep people busy during this wait time. They would have apologized sincerely for all the garbage that's gone on since 2.8 (AH-gate, DDOS (alleged) lock outs, lack of ticket responses, etc. It's been BAD for awhile now.

This "new" team seems solely focused on ways to monetize the game, as opposed to retaining current players and drawing in new ones.
    So either Scott Hartsman doesn't read these posts, isn't up to date with whats going on in rift, or has changed his mind for whatever reason. I would add a fourth option that he's on the same page as the decision makers and doesn't think recent changes fly in the face of his previous statements, but I just can't see how that would be possible.

Rift is no longer the darling of Trion. It didnt dethrone WOW or at least black its eye like they had hoped so they are now just going to grind Rift into the ground and squeeze every last drop of money out of that pig before they kill it off.

I can at least remember better times when Rift was shiny and new. Few games have held my attention as long as this one. If a new core team has taken over I sure miss the old one.

It's funny that I've played this game for 3 years and I've had to contact CS 'once' in all those years. What are people doing that they need to contact CS so many times? That one time was to take an authenticator off my account after I had lost the phone, lol.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    It's funny that I've played this game for 3 years and I've had to contact CS 'once' in all those years. What are people doing that they need to contact CS so many times? That one time was to take an authenticator off my account after I had lost the phone, lol.
    Last 2 bug reports: Fell through landscape in different places in Hailol and Ashora. I had posted an account of one of those happenings, and I was notified to send a report in game.

Other various reports:
    -Couldn't get storm legion codes to work initially
    -Had breathing bar up when I wasn't in water
    -Normal hunt rift boss ran away from the rift, backed into a wall, and went immune for the duration of the rift
    -Could not get coin unlock email to work
    -Lots of bugs in A Hero Rises
    -Didn't get Marks of Notoriety after participating in a 60 zone event
    -Not pvp flagged, still killed a player accidentally with AOE at a zone event
    -Others that I'm forgetting due to frequency and bad memory

In other news.....Daglar just put the hit song "Take The Money and Run" on continuous loop in the office building....
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

Soulwalker

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    We have hired a large number of CS folks actually, it's been a huge area of expansion for us. Of course they aren't at peak efficiency in the first month or two, so it'll take time for them to really hit their stride, but we're remedying the need for more staffing in that area.

Still hiring too for any folks that are in the Austin area: http://www.trionworlds.com/en/careers/

Thanks,
    Thanks Ocho - too bad I don't live in Austin.

~Irish

that's the problem with statements, the context changes because the world changes. it's like sitting in a divorce meeting and going "but you said you love me!"

that doesn't excuse everything but things change *shrug*

Ascendant

Quote:

I agree with a lot of this post. I think if Trion focused on real content and less on ways to monetize it, we'd be in better shape. And to all the blind defenders who will claim Trion goes bankrupt under this philosophy: that won't happen. Honestly if Rift was just more pleasant to play I know I would have kept my patron on and been participating in the game instead of playing Dota 2. But we've had to deal with ability lag, sometimes minor, sometimes severe, ever since the shard mergers began.

I remember the days of low-pop servers like Gnarlwood and Shatterbone where I could fight in a raid without feeling like I'm on a dial-up connection. It's really sad that we have all just come to accept this; this sort of lag in a shooter or moba would have killed it off a long time ago. And you know what? On progression raiding the lag is 100% unacceptable and is a slap in the face to those of us who supported you.

Addtionally...F2P launched and while I was skeptical at first, the initial offerings weren't too bad. But slowly over time boundaries have been pushed and you've gone from offering "catch-up" equipment to "get-ahead" equipment. You implement a currency cap which traditionally is implemented to slow down progression and not burn out players, but then you also slap on a credit price alongside it. What is your logic behind this, other than figuring out how to sap dollars from us?

The incredibly sad thing about this expansion is that if all of this gear progression will be gated except to those who spend lots of credits/cash, the only way to make things right is by delaying the raid content for a month. At least that would give people some time to grind the "intended" way.
    Last edited by Ahov; 10-07-2014 at 04:28 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2