+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rift's Population

Soulwalker

Default Rift's Population

I really want Rift to surpass WoW, and I have faith that it'll happen. What's rift's population though? For example, I know WoW has about 10-11 million subscribers/players, but I couldn't really find anything for Rift. Also, has Rift's population been growing or shrinking lately?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zabragoz View Post
    I know WoW has about 10-11 million subscribers/players
    Nope, last figure for WoW put it ~ 6.8 million, which is the trend for the past few earnings callings, a steady decline downwards

http://time.com/3086189/world-warcraft-subscribers/

As to the number playing Rift? we'll probably never know as it's a Free-to-play model so even if they gave us a figure for people paying a monthly/yearly Patron "sub" we'd never know how many people just log on.

Right now, a lot of people are just waiting for the new Expansion so the game seems a bit quiet, funnily enough, the test server (PTS0 is medium every time i log in there so it seems a lot of players are on the test server now.

At a guess, i will say there should be a decent upsurge of players either returning or new players trying out the Expansion, we'll soon know in a little over 2 weeks.

As for Rift or any MMO to 'surpass' WoW? all depends on what context you mean, surpass in "subs" or amount of people playing? never going to happen, I can't see any MMO, present or future, ever reaching the figures WoW got at it's peak.

Blizzard admitted that over 100 million players have tried WoW over the past 10 years, so is that the market of MMO players? I highly doubt it

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/123...bers-1-28-2014

Amount of content released? yes, Rift surpasses WoW, Blizzard have released nothing for the past 13 months for WoW and people still pay them a monthly sub for nothing, makes no sense.

Plane Touched

Those are old numbers. Wow has around 7m give or take.

Trion doesn't release those numbers but I don't think it's anywhere close.

Trion doesn't have to kill wow, they need to put out great product that'll draw new players but also retain the ones they have. Not an easy task and pushing back the xpac probably didn't help.

Prophet of Telara

Give rift a few years may change, they still need a lot work on the game as long they get pass that out the door it may change just time will tell, as there all ways new people out there joining, this pass week people ran in to about 5 or 7 people they like whats is rift? and pass few months there was few people on few forums telling tall tails lies about rift so makes it harder for people check out the game getting spend out more.

Just time will tell.
    Last edited by Zaber; 10-05-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Ascendant

WoW is what it is because
    "I've been playing WoW for 6 years, I'm not playing another game and losing all of this"
    and
    "All my friends play WoW"

I've seen a few people leave RIFT for the second reason. They enjoyed RIFT more, but they wanted to play with there friends, who play WoW.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Nope, last figure for WoW put it ~ 6.8 million, which is the trend for the past few earnings callings, a steady decline downwards

http://time.com/3086189/world-warcraft-subscribers/

As to the number playing Rift? we'll probably never know as it's a Free-to-play model so even if they gave us a figure for people paying a monthly/yearly Patron "sub" we'd never know how many people just log on.

Right now, a lot of people are just waiting for the new Expansion so the game seems a bit quiet, funnily enough, the test server (PTS0 is medium every time i log in there so it seems a lot of players are on the test server now.

At a guess, i will say there should be a decent upsurge of players either returning or new players trying out the Expansion, we'll soon know in a little over 2 weeks.

As for Rift or any MMO to 'surpass' WoW? all depends on what context you mean, surpass in "subs" or amount of people playing? never going to happen, I can't see any MMO, present or future, ever reaching the figures WoW got at it's peak.

Blizzard admitted that over 100 million players have tried WoW over the past 10 years, so is that the market of MMO players? I highly doubt it

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/123...bers-1-28-2014

Amount of content released? yes, Rift surpasses WoW, Blizzard have released nothing for the past 13 months for WoW and people still pay them a monthly sub for nothing, makes no sense.
    So... wow lost more subscribers in half a year than the entire rift's player base.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderburst View Post
    So... wow lost more subscribers in half a year than the entire rift's player base.
    Technically, WoW has "lost" ~93 million players, but let's not split hairs

Quote Originally Posted by Zaber View Post
    Give rift a few years may change, they still need a lot work on the game as long they get pass that out the door it may change just time will tell, as there all ways new people out there joining, this pass week people ran in to about 5 or 7 people they like whats is rift? and pass few months there was few people on few forums telling tall tails lies about rift so makes it harder for people check out the game getting spend out more.

Just time will tell.
    Rift's been around for over 3 years, just to put things into perspective.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Just from what I've seen on my server (Graybriar), Rift's population is pretty lively. Almost always lots of chat going on in channel 4, lots of people running around questing/closing Rifts, and whatnot. There's certainly a hell of a lot more activity than there was near the end on my server in WoW. Is it likely that Rift's playerbase will ever exceed the total population of WoW? No, probably not. But Rift isn't WoW, and I don't think most players want it to be.

Plane Walker

I believe that Rift's population was originally estimated at about 1.6 million back around launch. They had originally sold over 1m copies/downloads of the game, which was a big success. My guess is less than 200,000 active players and the number is probably around 75000...

Champion of Telara

We have 12 players. We just play a lot.
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

population is just fine. even now that ppl dont play much cause expansion is behind the corner

Quote Originally Posted by zabragoz View Post
    I really want Rift to surpass WoW, and I have faith that it'll happen. What's rift's population though? For example, I know WoW has about 10-11 million subscribers/players, but I couldn't really find anything for Rift. Also, has Rift's population been growing or shrinking lately?
    I am sorry to say I don't share that faith, but numbers seem decent where I play.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    I believe that Rift's population was originally estimated at about 1.6 million back around launch. They had originally sold over 1m copies/downloads of the game, which was a big success. My guess is less than 200,000 active players and the number is probably around 75000...
    I'm not sure what you mean by active, in terms of playing or paying. The average in the F2P universe is that 10% of customers pay and the other 90% are free. If The ratio is over 15% that's considered great and if over 20% outstanding. If Rift had 1.6 million subscribers and ~10% wound up staying and paying the 200,000 number makes sense. However, I can't see that being the player base in in terms of playing time--no way they are funding the game based upon 20K or even 40K paid players.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...-mmos-decline/

that should tell you all you need to know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast