+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree864Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Currency cap on Void stones WTH ? (Infinity stones in NT)

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    The other option is have no Void Stone gear or nerf it into the floor.

From a design standpoint you don't put in high quality gear that is infinitely grindable. We've made this mistake in the distant past (1.0 PvP gear anyone?).

We've had requests in the past to make the World Store gear better - for those players that will never set foot in a dungeon and enjoy the open world playstyle. We've acted on that - which means there must be a limit to acquisition.
    It never needed to be on par with Expert level gear. In the past it was a good enough solution to those that decided to never\rarely grind out PvE instances like a lot of us do, and that's completely fine. It's a matter of "you don't do the activity, you don't get the rewards".

It also doesn't fit the business model. In a F2P game, constantly showing the Boosts and incentivising store purchases, then essentially making said store purchases less-than-worthwhile isn't good juju. You're essentially cannibalizing your own model, in a sense, and it's to cater to those who want gear but aren't willing to put forth the effort to do the required activity to obtain it.

For a longer, more fluid progression path, the SL gear from the subscription model was a great example of this with no currency cap. World gear transitioned into Expert into Raid, etc, with some crafting on the side. People will be actively grinding VS to earn their Accelerators and whatever else costs VS that is worthwhile to obtain. Gating those things makes no logistical sense, unless your end goal is to throw gear at players and give every single person who decides to not partake in the instanced activities an alternative, eventual path to the good stuff.

With that opinion expressed, I imagine with this decision you're going to see a lot of boredom and\or burnout from the people who are your bread and butter - those that play a lot. People are used to a clear-cut progression path, and heavily incentivising them to exhaust all their options for currency on a daily\weekly basis will seem like more work than they're willing to put up with, especially knowing that there are paths of lesser resistance and effort required.
    Last edited by Karny; 10-03-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Ral
    Rift Master

So is 18.4 weeks the same time it would take to get equivalent armor with dungeon or war fronts?

Dungeons are probably the hardest in general of the three, but for aware and well geared players they are just as trivial as world events. Does this mean people are forced to do dungeons or war fronts in order to gear up at the same rate for raids?

I really don't like dungeons, I don't know why, but I just avoid them as much as I can, even with guild mates that can effortlessly clear them in 10-15 minutes or less. I preferred to gear up in SL through world gear and chronicles. In fact I dinged 60 from a scorpion in Ashora, ran 30m and started participating in a raid rift with my guild because I had all the gear on me already from world/crafting to be raid ready. I may also pvp from time to time, so that could help, but i can understand people hating that as well.

It just seems to me that pvp, dungeons and zone events/rifts should be equivalent paths to raiding and take equivalent minimum time alone to reach the same goal, that way people that participate in a combination will be rewarded by reaching that goal that much faster. I am also hoping that crafted gear will again be able to fill out some slots.

If it is transferable between characters maybe this won't be so bad for those with many alts (like me) but for people that focus on one character using many souls, this could be a major gate for things like synergy crystals and essences if it follows the same pattern we have seen since chocolate Rift.

The one thing I really don't want is the situation I faced in Storm Legion where I could cap ESM during the week without even doing dungeons and have to save up the dendrome boxes. I think at one point I had over a half a bank vault full of them. It was a serious pita trying to keep track of the cap, if you do add this caps can you for the love of our sanity please add some UI element that tells us where were are toward the cap, like a mouse over tooltip for each currency that says like 21398/35000 earned this week.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #18
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ral View Post
    can you for the love of our sanity please add some UI element that tells us where were are toward the cap, like a mouse over tooltip for each currency that says like 21398/35000 earned this week.
    Every time you earn currency, you see how much more you can earn that week.

Hop onto PTS and check out the open beta and see how this affects you.

~Daglar

Rift Disciple

We've had requests in the past to make the World Store gear better - for those players that will never set foot in a dungeon and enjoy the open world playstyle. We've acted on that - which means there must be a limit to acquisition.
    ok so now the world gear has great stats compared to crafted/dungeon gear. do you plan to actually reduce the amount needed for that gear, essences and of course the void accelerator by a 10-15% since the current pts values for some of those items is just insane and even in the long run.

can't really see the joy of grinding when the amount needed is somewhere around 654k (which will take ages with the current cap) for just the items without any upgrades from the current items on the pts. i love money but it has to at least give me joy and not turn me into a chinese zombie grinder

Open world PVE is where most of your playerbase is. There are already "natural" limits on acquisition expert dungeon marks (1 random reward/day for expert/wf) and weekly locks for raids. Non instanced open world PVE is the game on the most basic level. By putting cap on a world currency you are putting cap on time people will be willing to spend in your game.
    How does that makes sense is beyond me.
    World 1st red trinket - finally retired. Tnx for chronicles!

Plane Touched

To get the current tier 2 set from relic tier 2 to that sle gear is 41 void source accelerators or 615.000 stones. or about 17.5 weeks

I am one of those players who enjoys open world content and tends to avoid instanced. This applies to all aspects of the game (I enjoy Conquest for the open world feel, while I merely tolerate Warfronts - I love Rift content, while I actively avoid dungeons). Thanks for accommodating a wider section of your player base. I prefer the cap, to the alternative, which is being stuck with subpar progression.
    Last edited by Jonn; 10-03-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Eione View Post
    Open world PVE is where most of your playerbase is. There are already "natural" limits on acquisition expert dungeon marks (1 random reward/day for expert/wf) and weekly locks for raids. Non instanced open world PVE is the game on the most basic level. By putting cap on a world currency you are putting cap on time people will be willing to spend in your game.
    How does that makes sense is beyond me.
    Could just make it worse than crafted and expert gear so nobody even bothers outside of achievements. That would definitely make me super excited about void stones and world events.

I won't make any judgments until I actually get to play and see how often I get void stones on the real servers, and how much items I might want or need cost for said stones. But a cap on open world currency sounds ridiculous by itself.

What are we to do when we hit the cap? Anything that earns us void stones is, ironically, voided simply because it would be a waste of time until the cap resets.

On another note I don't think I ever hit the cap for marks at any time but I think that was because there wasn't enough ways to get them to ever hit the cap. Likewise I was always frustrated when I ran out of things to do that gave me marks.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Quote Originally Posted by Opira View Post
    To get the current tier 2 set from relic tier 2 to that sle gear is 41 void source accelerators or 615.000 stones. or about 17.5 weeks
    Don't forget you need 54k per essence(324k void stones) AND a ridiculously long Nightmare Rift achievement(Nightmare V Master).
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

~Daglar
    and for the love of god give Ben (Zorba) an hour or 2 to add currency caps to the addon API!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything I'm reading about people's experience from the PTS is making 3.0 look extremely grindy....
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Plane Touched

This also feels like a good way to have empty servers after sunday.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lethaemis View Post
    Don't forget you need 54k per essence(324k void stones) AND a ridiculously long Nightmare Rift achievement(Nightmare V Master).
    Maybe I'm mistaken but my understanding was that nightmare rifts can actually drop essences, with the vendor ones being an additional source for unlucky individuals.

~Daglar
    I will go again and double check how this works as I have been playing on the alpha/beta for some time now. Once I recheck things I will come back and give my opinion on this, I am trying to keep an open mind.

I will say that looking at current Rift 2.8 and Infinity Stones, I can earn 35,000 in less than a day. So if the earn rate is anywhere near the same it will leave nothing for me to do. I am already not happy with the re-in statement of caps on expert and raid currencies. Once I hit all the caps which in my estimation will take less than TWO or Three days each week, I will have nothing left to do that will be of any benefit so I might as well not play at all. Not trying to be over dramatic, but I do not play a game to only play Three days a week, I play to be able to get on any day and have something useful to do for my advancement.

Again though, I am going to go spend some more time checking all this out on the pts and then I will be back here to check discuss my results.

<O└d Skool>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast