+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree864Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Currency cap on Void stones WTH ? (Infinity stones in NT)

Quote Originally Posted by Doood View Post
    If you can use stones from toon to toon just as easily as it is now, how in the world will a cap make it more alt friendly?
    It depends on how you define "alt friendly."

I don't think alts should be an advantage, I think they should be a choice undertaken for flavour or concept or RP or other reasons not tied to "because I have to to play better."

If currencies are earned account wide and tradeable, if I'm in the mood for character A, but am focusing gearwise on character B, (keep in mind, you don't need super gear to do overworld content) I can facilitate that. Cap or not, the cap is essentially applied to time played, not characters played, as having 12 alts doesn't mean I have 12 times the hours in a day.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Tales from the Void: http://omedon.tumblr.com

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    But, again, until we see the rate of acquisition, there's no real reason to flip out yet, in my opinion.
    Why do people still not understand that the "rate of acquisition" is irrelevant in this discussion? The point is that the current cost of almost anything VS related is so inflated that even IF you were able to obtain the weekly cap limit, the amount of time (weeks/months) it would take to progress your toon is not worth it.

If the cap is so hard to hit, why even have it in the first place?
    Last edited by Doood; 10-03-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    Dreezie

Why do people still not understand the the "rate of acquisition" is irrelevant in this discussion? The point is that the current cost of almost anything VS related is so inflated that even IF you were able to obtain the weekly cap limit, the amount of time (weeks/months) it would take to progress your toon is not worth it.

If the cap is so hard to hit, why even have it in the first place?
    To give the content "legs" within the context of "not encouraging skipping work/family/bathing/life." And, of course, to potentially make money. Let's be real here, this isn't a charity.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Guess, I am not seeing how this is a big issue. So you take a while to get your BIS if you do not do dungeons. Raids can be run without people having BIS gear, I doubt it is required to complete the raid, makes it easier but not required.

So you get some drops from the raid and from the dungeons and you will get geared faster. It really is not a big deal.

Rift Chaser

To give the content "legs" within the context of "not encouraging skipping work/family/bathing/life." And, of course, to potentially make money. Let's be real here, this isn't a charity.
    For the past almost 4 years the content didn't need "legs", Trion actually advertised and prided themselves on their ability to produce content faster than any other MMO, and never felt the need to gate their content in such a way.
    Dreezie

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarundi View Post
    Guess, I am not seeing how this is a big issue. So you take a while to get your BIS if you do not do dungeons. Raids can be run without people having BIS gear, I doubt it is required to complete the raid, makes it easier but not required.

So you get some drops from the raid and from the dungeons and you will get geared faster. It really is not a big deal.
    It is a big deal and we're not talking BiS gear. We're talking the basic level of gear you need to get into experts to begin the grind to get geared to raid.

Armor, earring slots, plane of water rep, essences, cape(?) and more are all sourced with Void Stones. If it were translated into Infinity Stones at their current value, you'd need several hundred thousand of them to get to where you need to be.

Capping a currency *that* important and necessary for the purpose of allowing non-dungeoning players to have equivalent gear without having to do dungeons... is... sickening.

Trion actually advertised and prided themselves on their ability to produce content faster than any other MMO, and never felt the need to gate their content in such a way.
    And maybe they still will... you just might not be done the last step when the next is released. Is that so terrible?

Soulwalker

Tried to test the pts for whether the cap is account wide and or not, but the prints don't seem to work. I tried on one character to complete a carnage quest got 66 void stones and got message 34934 remained on the cap logged out did a carnage on another character with an appropriate cap and message. Logged back in on the first character did another carnage got 66 void stones and the message still said 34934 remained on the cap. So messages don't appear to even be working right. Can Trion comment on the intent whether the cap is account wide and/or if the currency can be traded (within the same account)?
    Last edited by Gork; 10-03-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenddydd View Post
    Wait wait wait. That cannot be right.
    this. makes no sense for a company to tell people "your progression ends here no matter which char, go play something else if you want advancement". people that don't play sure as hell won't spent any money..
    unless of course it's shortsighted idea that people will spend credits to extend that cap so they can progress...

that being said I'm with omedon on account wide currency, not having to play class X to acquire currency for class X would be a godsend (there are still no vouchers on ESM and higher marks for example).

as for the topic at cap in general: don't forget that world gear has a separate currency from experts, and that doesn't factor in drops and crafting.
    Last edited by Gray; 10-03-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gork View Post
    Tried to test the pts for whether the cap is account wide and or not, but the prints don't seem to work. I tried on one character to complete a carnage quest got 66 void stones and got message 34934 remained on the cap logged out did a carnage on another character with an appropriate cap and message. Logged back in on the first character did another carnage got 66 void stones and the message still said 34934 remained on the cap. So messages don't appear to even be working right. Can Trion comment on the intent whether the cap is account wide and/or if the currency can be traded (within the same account)?
    I could personally deal with it account wide or otherwise. If they're not tradable (or not pulled from a communal wallet), they should be seperate caps per character. Just my opinion. If they are not tradable and there isn't a seperate total per character... that is... silly.
    Last edited by Omedon; 10-03-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Telaran

Will be no reason to patron at least, I cant see how they thought this was a good idea.

I never liked caps even if unobtainable, never have never will. Last I heard the cap was ACCOUNT wide, so gearing up say if you have 5 alts will be a little over 2 years if my math is right. And thats just to get expert level duneon gear.....

So you get 1 item every 2ish weeks per char so you can stack those to be able to do harder content, you hit cap in a day wait a week again and again.

Might as well play FFARR again clear content in 3 hours and wait for reset.
    Last edited by oSUCCESS0; 10-03-2014 at 07:44 PM.

shp
    Champion

If the world gear is as good as expert gear, that's a reasonable decision.

Quote Originally Posted by oSUCCESS0 View Post
    Will be no reason to patron at least lol
    Wait, there was a reason to patron once you were done leveling? ;)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by shp View Post
    If the world gear is as good as expert gear, that's a reasonable decision.
    The world gear has always been as good if not better than expert gear, how is the change reasonable?
    Dreezie

Prophet of Telara

And maybe they still will... you just might not be done the last step when the next is released. Is that so terrible?
    You have to be the best troll ever.....I cant come out with any other explanation for your point of view on this issue( the VS cap).

Let me try to explain you: Ive cleared the raid content weeks ago, we've been doing nothing at all for weeks(basically tritium coring people in TB every 42 minutes....), doing open world content is useless for me,us(my guild) and the vast majority of players(wether you like it or not the stuff is designed for end content players). So, the idea of spending 3,4,5 months to get ready to do the first 10 man because non dungeoning players want the same level of gear is just sick, stupid and whatever adjetive you are able to come up with.

We dont care about the grinding per se, im sure a lot of raiders would farm for days to get the stuff necesary to start raiding, but the amount of time we are facing to do so is just ******ed. 3 FUC**** weeks to unlock the earrings?

Theres no way potential raiders are going to do that, they might even start, but after a month of endless farming you get 1-2 pieces of all the stuff you need to, 99% of the raiders are just gonna leave the game, thats a fact.

PS: note that i didnt mention P2Winners,those might spend ****loads of money get into raids(eventually) and then leave because they are not skill enough or familiar enough with their callings to actually kill some hard raid boss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast