+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 209
Like Tree328Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Bannable Offenses - A Clarification Please

  1. #1
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default Bannable Offenses - A Clarification Please

    I was watching the pvp stream today and in the middle of the stream Daglar gets visibly upset and says something about an individual who made a comment regarding firing a TRION employee. Then at the end of the stream Daglar says something again about not asking to fire a TRION employee. Now it seems the person who called for a firing in a stream on a 3rd party website has been permanently banned from the game.

    My question is this: Is it a bannable offense to make disparaging comments on a 3rd party website?

    For example, if there is a 3rd party website and someone sarcastically says in a forum thread, "TRION should fire Daglar because he rushed 3.0 and only 4 guilds were content clear with the current raids", can said person be banned?

    I'm not in favor of firing any TRION employees. I think the game is great and I have been playing for a long time and will continue to play, but I think it is a reach to start banning people because of comments on a third party website. Anyways, I just wanted clarification on this point so I know if I need to watch what I say on the interwebs

  2. #2
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    I don't think you understand how online games work.

    Everything is a bannable offense. You do not own your account or characters, Trion (or, to extrapolate, whoever owns the game in question) does. Trion (again, extrapolation blah blah blah) can revoke your game access for any reason at any time. The same thing goes for every online game there is. If they want to ban someone to make an example out of them, they will and they don't need a reason. If you have a problem with this, you probably should not be playing online games.
    Last edited by Crithappens; 09-17-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  3. #3
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    I don't think you understand how online games work.

    Everything is a bannable offense. You do not own your account or characters, Trion (or, to extrapolate, whoever owns the game in question) does. Trion (again, extrapolation blah blah blah) can revoke your game access for any reason at any time. The same thing goes for every online game there is. If they want to ban someone to make an example out of them, they will and they don't need a reason. If you have a problem with this, you probably should not be playing online games.
    Fair enough. Ban for anything you do anywhere.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Attillaa View Post
    For example, if there is a 3rd party website and someone sarcastically says in a forum thread, "TRION should fire Daglar because he rushed 3.0 and only 4 guilds were content clear with the current raids", can said person be banned?
    Yes. Yes they can.

    TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

    Effective as of August 1, 2012

    PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT (THE “TERMS OF USE” OR “AGREEMENT”).
    YOUR USE OF THE TRION WORLDS’ WEBSITE (INCLUDING ANY RELATED SUBSITE, SERVICE OR FEATURE THERETO) (THE “SITE”) CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THESE TERMS, CONDITIONS, COVENANTS, POLICIES AND NOTICES (THE “TERMS”). IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN YOUR JURISDICTION, YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN ACCEPTS THIS AGREEMENT ON YOUR BEHALF PRIOR TO YOUR USE OF THE SITE. PLEASE PRINT A COPY OF THIS AGREEMENT FOR YOUR RECORDS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE THIS SITE.

    8. Account Suspension/Deletion

    TRION MAY SUSPEND, MODIFY, TERMINATE OR DELETE ANY ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON OR FOR NO REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. Accounts terminated by Trion for any type of abuse, including without limitation a violation of these Terms of Use or a Game EULA, will not be reactivated for any reason. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most account suspensions, terminations and/or deletions are the result of violations of this Terms of Use or any applicable Game EULA.
    The EULA maybe a lot of legal mumbo jumbo. But it's legal mubo jumbo that you said you agreed to. Watch you ***, and don't be a *****, or you might just get the hammer.
    Last edited by Repster; 09-17-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker TekBlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    456

    Default

    "8. ACCOUNT SUSPENSION/DELETION

    TRION MAY SUSPEND, MODIFY, TERMINATE OR DELETE ANY ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON OR FOR NO REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. Accounts terminated by Trion for any type of abuse, including without limitation a violation of these Terms of Use or a Game EULA, will not be reactivated for any reason. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most account suspensions, terminations and/or deletions are the result of violations of this Terms of Use or any applicable Game EULA."

    Straight from the ToU.

    I was hoping he would end up with a suspension but it is Trion's call ultimately and unfortunately for me I have to find a new warrior.
    Rebooting initiated... Loading Crayons 2.0

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Aveleys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    It's the same idea as being told to leave a store because it's their private property. The server infrastructure which Trion uses belongs to them.

  7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Rift Team Ocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    Trion livestreams on Twitch are an official communication channel and as such actions there are treated seriously. It is no different than if we hosted the livestreams on our servers. Calling for someone to be fired is not permitted on any of our official channels.

    In other rare cases yes, actions taken outside of our official channels can lead to bans from the game. If you want to harass and attack Trion employees you are signaling a desire to no longer be part of RIFT. It takes a lot to warrant this action, in this case joining an official communication channel and campaigning for another human being to have their source of income taken away is enough. There is never a reason for that sort of behavior.

    When I worked as a manager in retail, if a customer started yelling and demanding that we fire an employee they would be asked to leave. This is no different. We wish the former player best of luck in any of their future gaming, we just no longer have desire to maintain a relationship with them.

  8. #8
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Trion livestreams on Twitch are an official communication channel and as such actions there are treated seriously. It is no different than if we hosted the livestreams on our servers. Calling for someone to be fired is not permitted on any of our official channels.

    In other rare cases yes, actions taken outside of our official channels can lead to bans from the game. If you want to harass and attack Trion employees you are signaling a desire to no longer be part of RIFT. It takes a lot to warrant this action, in this case joining an official communication channel and campaigning for another human being to have their source of income taken away is enough. There is never a reason for that sort of behavior.

    When I worked as a manager in retail, if a customer started yelling and demanding that we fire an employee they would be asked to leave. This is no different. We wish the former player best of luck in any of their future gaming, we just no longer have desire to maintain a relationship with them.
    Well, I think standing up in a retail store and asking for someone to be fired is a little different than a comment in a chat channel on twitch, but I get your point and I agree that a comment like that is not productive.

  9. #9
    fzf
    fzf is offline
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default

    HYPOTHETICALLY (I WAS NOT INVOLVED IN THE LIVESTREAM AT ALL): so now someone can just make a twitch handle similar to mine, make personal attacks towards devs/employees, and my account would be the one taking the punishment?
    Last edited by fzf; 09-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Narcise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fzf View Post
    HYPOTHETICALLY (I WAS NOT INVOLVED IN THE LIVESTREAM AT ALL): so now someone can just make a twitch handle similar to mine, make personal attacks towards devs/employees, and my account would be the one taking the punishment?
    I would guess that if you were banned for that sort of "identity theft", you could make a new account and put in a ticket to ask them to investigate.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

  11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team Ocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fzf View Post
    HYPOTHETICALLY (I WAS NOT INVOLVED IN THE LIVESTREAM AT ALL): so now someone can just make a twitch handle similar to mine, make personal attacks towards devs/employees, and my account would be the one taking the punishment?
    We only take these actions when we are sure we know the identity of the individual in question. This is not something we take lightly, and if there is any doubt in our minds then we don't take action. I've had to do this a couple times in my career, and most times it ends with "we're 99% sure we know who this is, but we're not 100% sure so we're not going to take action". It's hard, especially when things get incredibly nasty, but if we're not sure we don't do it.

  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    My question is.. How do you even know that the person in that twitch livestream was the same player in game.

    Seems to me like you are taking a bit of a shot in the dark here.

    If I had to guess he struck a nerve with a dev on a bad day. Shame they lashed out like an upset child and permanently banned a paying customer.

    Terrible business practice IMO.

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default

    I'm a bit surprised at the severity of the action myself, but TRION can basically do whatever they think is best in these cases. I guess they thought it was best to ban this person.

  14. #14
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Time to go through my guild's website and delete half my comments

    not really
    Last edited by Attillaa; 09-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    We only take these actions when we are sure we know the identity of the individual in question. This is not something we take lightly, and if there is any doubt in our minds then we don't take action. I've had to do this a couple times in my career, and most times it ends with "we're 99% sure we know who this is, but we're not 100% sure so we're not going to take action". It's hard, especially when things get incredibly nasty, but if we're not sure we don't do it.
    But it was worth a permaban? Pretty over the top for a twitch chat violation. I've seem much worse comments made in CrossEvents, twitch actual livestreams, the forums, etc. and those people haven't really been banned. But a silly little side comment on twitch chat which was, atleast to me, pretty obviously a joke deserves a permaban? I thought a suspension for ~1 week would have been appropriate since to my knowledge he hasn't had a history of violations.
    Cowculator@Greybriar <Crayons>
    rip
    RIP Pyromancer's Aegis
    Quote Originally Posted by krug View Post
    Sharax will definitely be bug free .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts