+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: New Races?

Default New Races?

With Rift 3.0 just over the horizon I have a question that maybe somebody can answer. Will there be any new playable races? Rift essentially only has 4 distinctly different races, none of which are really different from humans, excluding size, ears, or color. I want to play something different. Maybe something with scales, fur, or anything. One of the real reasons I have yet to be sucked into end game is because my character looks so humdrum and boring. Maybe it's just me.
    PLEASE TRION GIVE US SOME NEW PLAYABLE RACES!

Not as far as I can tell - neither new races nor new classes....
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Ascendant

New races means a completely new models, and that requires it to fit EVERY item to those new races as well, that's a helluva lot of work. Not to mention animations for those new races for every ability in the game as well.

That's not something you do in a weekend on your off time. That's $$$. A lot of it. For a very minor return. Getting a giant sack of money with a dollar sign and setting it on fire would probably end up being better for Trion's bottom line then new races... And leave them more time to use on new content.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    ...That's not something you do in a weekend on your off time. That's $$$. A lot of it. For a very minor return..
    Why do you think it would be a minor return, compared to say, squirrel mounts? We haven't seen a new race model since the game was released, so I believe they would be able to sell a lot of 'em. I mean, isn't that the entire business model at this point? Sell "cosmetic" stuff? What's more cosmetic than a new character model?

Shadowlander

At this point in time it's likely to be an exquisite new race, from a land far far away, with a unique and interesting name... looking almost identical to an existing race.
    How you know you've lost at life...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vaishevik View Post
    Why do you think it would be a minor return, compared to say, squirrel mounts? We haven't seen a new race model since the game was released, so I believe they would be able to sell a lot of 'em. I mean, isn't that the entire business model at this point? Sell "cosmetic" stuff? What's more cosmetic than a new character model?
    New mount has ONE model and one set of animations, for each of 6 different races.

New race has a full set of animations for every soul in every calling. AND has to have every item, AND hair in the game texture fitted to the new model to avoid terrible clipping. AND needs to be both male and female.

Also increases the workload of any new item created as that one more male and female model every piece of equipment needs to fit.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    New races means a completely new models, and that requires it to fit EVERY item to those new races as well, that's a helluva lot of work. Not to mention animations for those new races for every ability in the game as well.

That's not something you do in a weekend on your off time. That's $$$. A lot of it. For a very minor return. Getting a giant sack of money with a dollar sign and setting it on fire would probably end up being better for Trion's bottom line then new races... And leave them more time to use on new content.
    I'm getting really tired of hearing the excuse that it would take too much work. This is clearly a huge deficit in this game, and has to be done. This is more important than adding another raid, as it effects new player interest in the game. Other F2P games have done it. Trion can also do it, and it desperately needs to be done. Sell them in the cash shop for all I care. Just add some new races. Even if on some level its a reskining of existing races (like SWTOR, or even the mounts in this game).

I play Rift in spite of their bland race choices. It certainly was never close to a selling point.

I can personally say I've grown rather bored with the races in this game. The fact that there are six races and only four sets of animations for the lot of them says a lot. Elves and Kelari share animations, Eth and Mathosians share animations, then there's Bahmi and Dwarves, whose animations only differ because of their height.

Another thing is the lack of customization when it comes to characters. They can really only differ by what they wear in some cases. In fact I'll go ahead and list which races differ the most, to which races differ the least.

- Dwarves: Rarely will you see a dwarf that looks exactly like another dwarf. Hell, how many times do you see two dwarf girls in the same place?
    - Bahmi: These guys seem to vary the most in the face. Be careful with that face shape slider.
    - Kelari: Their eyes are weird.
    - Eth: They tan well.
    - Mathosians: Why sir you look a lot like the fellow down the road...
    - High Elves: Are you my sister?

Seriously though, every high elf looks like every high elf, and they're as common as house flies.

If I had to pick, I'd rather have more customization for what we have now, instead of a whole new race. There's only so much an outfit can do to make your character really be unique.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

I play with a small group of people every day. I can honestly say, I couldn't pick their characters out of a lineup, and would probably fail at some of my own as well. I recognise people's mounts and armor/dye combo and wouldn't have a clue what is under their hats. The only time I see my own characters faces is on the character screen. I never look at their faces in game. I see the back of their heads as I'm trying to stop some fat arsed warrior from pounding me into the dirt. Not much time for admiring someone's new hair do while running away screaming "get it off me, get it off me".

Trion need to make money from this game to keep it running and it may very well come down to a choice between new content or some new race. I know which should be, and most likely is, a higher priority. Last I heard the Trion developers were pretty thin on the ground and they don't have the resources to pursue options that can't present a clear business case pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Rantank; 09-15-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Defiant - Vaarko Rekelen Karice Draycos . Guardian - Rigney Reccen Washee Khrelan

Quote Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
    I play Rift in spite of their bland race choices. It certainly was never close to a selling point.
    This should be enough to explain why adding a new race isn't really necessary. It's not a selling point, or quite possibly not enough of a selling point for most players. I could see cosmetic changes to the current races (Planetouched Skin pack much like the current expanded skin pack) or possibly other modifications to the existing races.

Trion have run a survey several years in a row now where players could give feedback on what they like and want to see in Rift. If there was such a clamoring for a new race, chances are, it would be at the forefront of the expansion hypetrain.
    "In the land of the terribles, the mediocre is king."

I hate to bring up "He who must not be named", but they have consistently added new races to their game with nearly every xpac, BC, Cata, and MoP and it somehow seems to make them money. What is more they do not offer as much "playable" content in an xpec as Rift has in patches so to say that they have to chose between new content and new races is fictional. Plus they have had years to introduce even one new race, or even one old race with a new skin; and have yet to do so. I think it is past time that it at least becomes an option on the table. The world that Rift exist in is so diverse and unique, but you couldn't tell by the character generation.

As for making them fit all the armor models, and mounts, and what not. If they took a race, say boglings for instance, and made them playable nearly half the work is already done! You can tell I am a programming expert and my grasp on the subject is very strong (sarcasm). Maybe it would be labor intensive, but as a paying customer (patron as well as store items) who has supported Rift for years it is something I would love to see.

Soooo....uncorrupted Shi-Ming?
    Lockshock - 60 Mage R90
    Zeraxis - 60 Rogue R85
    If you need me, I'm on archeage now. Blight, on Inoch.
    Scratch that, it would be Blight on Thunderwing now, but I quit AA so I'm back as Lockshock on Vigil

Quote Originally Posted by Vaishevik View Post
    Squirrel mounts require art, then they require animation to rig them, then they require itemization to make them into an item and finally someone to put them in the store or as a drop.

When you talk about a new race, you're looking at not only making the new race and potentially new quests that go along with that, but needing to remodel every single piece of armor in the game to fit around the new character model. It is not an easy task, and comparing it to a squirrel mount would be dozens, if not hundreds, of times more work. The return on a new race is unlikely to be the same dozens or hundreds of times larger than a squirrel mount.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post

When you talk about a new race, you're looking at not only making the new race and potentially new quests that go along with that, but needing to remodel every single piece of armor in the game to fit around the new character model. It is not an easy task, and comparing it to a squirrel mount would be dozens, if not hundreds, of times more work. The return on a new race is unlikely to be the same dozens or hundreds of times larger than a squirrel mount.
    Again, SO WHAT!

Put the time in and make new races. Other games have done it, Trion can do it too. Just because the hardcore raiding community doesn't want it because they're afraid it will take away from the massive amounts of content they rapidly consume, doesn't mean it isn't important for the rest of us.

And don't speak of surveys from current players or notions that other Rift players don't find it important. Show me data proving it. I'm more inclined to believe that people thinking about trying this game are put off by a very distinct lack of interesting race choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Squirrel mounts require art, then they require animation to rig them, then they require itemization to make them into an item and finally someone to put them in the store or as a drop.

I'll be honest, at this point in time I want a squirrel mount more than I want a new race. It would complete me.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast