+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: New Races?

I think that people will find Trion Worlds very financially secure. Nowhere near as big as someone like SoE or Blizzard or NCSoft, but still good.

Something that not too many people are aware of is that Comcast actually own an investment (non-controlling) in Trion Worlds. Its believed to be in the 40% region. So, yeah, funding is partially provided by them.

The above happened in 2008/2009 when NBC Universal pushed Trion to publish Defiance, and then Comcast bought NBC, incuding their stake in Trion.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

Rift Disciple

Default Re: agumentas and New Races in Rift

Quote Originally Posted by agumentas View Post
    With Rift 3.0 just over the horizon I have a question that maybe somebody can answer. Will there be any new playable races? Rift essentially only has 4 distinctly different races, none of which are really different from humans, excluding size, ears, or color. I want to play something different. Maybe something with scales, fur, or anything. One of the real reasons I have yet to be sucked into end game is because my character looks so humdrum and boring. Maybe it's just me.
    PLEASE TRION GIVE US SOME NEW PLAYABLE RACES!
    I agree. Rift needs to be developed more deeply, such as in providing a better variety of races with unique aspects to them and different, developed backgrounds.

This issue is an unspoken necessity. It goes along with Immersion 101 type stuff. Specifically, different players with different personalities, different play-styles, and so on want to play different characters. It helps them identify with their characters and why they play their characters better.

So why isn't there a bigger outcry about this? Simple. I'd wager that this issue is so fundamental to immersion that most players would rather jump to another game which gives them better immersion in such respects than sit around and try to educate a company on why such things are needed. So, Trion and their staunch defenders should be darn thankful that there are players who actually care enough about Rift to stay here and talk about such things.

As for the objections which say that the logistics of adding such things would cost too much, all I have to say is this: Here we go again with the "Trion has limited resources" excuse. It's the excuse which keeps on giving. Again, Trion needs to invest in allowing for player-made content and the appropriate profit sharing to go along with it. So, if the players say that they want something, then the Rift team can say, "Okay, then make it and submit it. And we'll let you know."

Again, Rift is supposed to be about offering customers--the MMORPG players--something which they want to purchase with cash-money. And if you have to use the "we only have a limited amount of resources to use, so please give us special consideration" card in your sales and customer service pitches, then you are indeed in big trouble. Potential customers will recognize this, take a step back, and pass Rift up for "greener pastures" accordingly.
    Last edited by LungingWolf; 09-16-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by LungingWolf View Post
    As for the objections which say that the logistics of adding such things would cost too much, all I have to say is this: Here we go again with the "Trion has limited resources" excuse. It's the excuse which keeps on giving. Again, Trion needs to invest in allowing for player-made content and the appropriate profit sharing to go along with it. So, if the players say that they want something, then the Rift team can say, "Okay, then make it and submit it. And we'll let you know."
    I'm apologize if I'm misunderstanding you, but.... are you trying to say that you believe a player would somehow be capable of doing the work necessary to assemble and debug a new race model, animation set and so on?
    Last edited by Kedon; 09-17-2014 at 12:00 AM.

We should definitely further the customization of current races/appearance instead of adding new ones. In APB reloaded you can literally design your own tattoos, i wouldn't mind customizing my own marking or things of that nature here in Rift.

A bit of a stretch I know, but something to ponder.

Also making people pay for new cosmetics that should have been implemented for free initially is beginning to bore me.
    Ghetto Fabulous

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Halowed View Post
    I am kind of amazed that this thread went to the monetary viability of Trion being able (or not) to offer a new Race to Rift. It's not our job to decide if the idea is feasible in Trion's budget. Our job is to voice our opinions, our wants, and our desires for this game. If some would like new Races, we should state unequivocally that we want them, not debate how much it cost Trion to produce it.

I just find this type of discussion odd.

I for one would welcome a new Race and hope that at some point it will be possible and I look forward to purchasing one.
    When someone voices an opinion that requests something that is unrealisticly and the community says why it is unrealisticly it is completely understandable.

When your daughter asks for a pony- yes it would be great for her but monetarily it is not feasible. Same thing with new races.
    Trion IS a profit oriented company. Therefor you can say all the time "but I want". It won't matter if there ain't black numbers in the calculation at the end.

Besides who needs a new race when there are dwarves!

Rift Disciple

Default Re: Kedon

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    I'm apologize if I'm misunderstanding you, but.... are you trying to say that you believe a player would somehow be capable of doing the work necessary to assemble and debug a new race model, animation set and so on?
    Realistically, as with any modding community, different players have different interests and different skill sets of different levels which they developed according to those said interests. And these players come together in order to pool these things, delegate, and learn from each other. So, together, as a community, they might be able to do a great deal on their side of the issue, especially with the right motivation.

Can individual players develop and submit fully prepared models? Possibly, but that would be rarer. I envisioned a Rift forum where everyone contributes what they can and the players build on each other's ideas and products. It would have special rules accordingly, such as a "first posted, first credit" rule for taking credit for certain ideas, a required list of credits for each submission (dated documentation necessary for any claimants!), required consent for the use of others' ideas (just posted), and so on. And profit sharing would be broken down among the players accordingly.

In terms of "where the rubber meets the road" on collaboration, it depends on the particulars of how the Rift team operates. Specifically, on the players' end, there are many programs out there on which the consumer can create concept art, 3d models, animated 3d models, and so on. But, on the Rift team's side, what types of programs they use and what forms of data those said programs are compatible with will determine exactly what needs to be done in order to actually make the collaboration happen.

Even so, I still expect the Rift team to sort through, evaluate, and polish what is submitted and accepted. But, to make sure that the players don't dump "chores" on the Rift team, the Rift team can lower the level of profit which the players receive according to how much extra prep work the player-made content in question requires from them. Moreover, the level of potential player profit in general would start at what level of material is submitted. Specifically, the more readily usable the form of the item(s) in question, the more potential player profit it could earn the player(s) in question.

Likewise, the Rift team can also point out the direction in which they want Rift to go and ask for appropriate material for it. And, according to how submitted player-made content matches up with it, player profit for the said content can be raised or lowered accordingly as well.

So, of course, the details in general would have to be worked out. But, I'm pretty sure that, somehow, some way, this can happen, if everyone wills it to. My only true fear is that the people who don't want this to happen for whatever reason--player side and dev side alike--will try to use player ignorance on the previously mentioned "where the rubber meets the road" details in order to argue that it is impossible to do what I propose.

But, more to your point: I do have faith in the player community, both of Rift's and "gamers" at large. Sure, there are dummies and bad apples in the player community. But, I also know that there are very talented, dedicated people in it as well. Moreover, if the player community actually has something constructive and meaningful to do, then they are less likely to be toxic because they are too busy working on things which mean something to them.
    Last edited by LungingWolf; 09-17-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulia View Post
    When someone voices an opinion that requests something that is unrealisticly and the community says why it is unrealisticly it is completely understandable.

When your daughter asks for a pony- yes it would be great for her but monetarily it is not feasible. Same thing with new races.
    Trion IS a profit oriented company. Therefor you can say all the time "but I want". It won't matter if there ain't black numbers in the calculation at the end.

True, but it's not your job to tell my daughter that it's not in our family's budget to get a pony, and that's what I feel some people are doing here. You do not know my financials any more than you know Trion's financials. That's all I'm really saying. It never hurts to ask, and that's what I tell my daughter too. Let her ask for the pony, that's fine to dream and want ... but she will not be harmed if I say no ... same with Trion. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVP View Post
    At this point in time it's likely to be an exquisite new race, from a land far far away, with a unique and interesting name... looking almost identical to an existing race.
    I'm enjoying the signature. It's amazing how everything I say gets taken for gospel in-game when I have a reputation as Rift chat's resident troll.

I wouldn't mind a few more races, I'm just not sure what else there could be. I assume Trion will add in a palette swap to the existing races, maybe with a few new hair options\changed sizes and sell it on the store like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tollwutig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaishevik View Post
    Do you guys really believe every piece of equipment is lovingly handcrafted by devs to fit each and every model? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but equipment is designed to fit a common mesh, which can be stretched and adjusted to suit each of the racial models. Oy.
    Yes but they do have someone QA those mesh's on each racial model to verify it doesn't clip; look bad etc.
    Really? Whoever has that job isn't doing it very well. ;_;

Clipping is also a daily occurrence. I'd much rather they fix the current races and graphical glitches before adding another clone.

I am kind of amazed that this thread went to the monetary viability of Trion being able (or not) to offer a new Race to Rift. It's not our job to decide if the idea is feasible in Trion's budget. Our job is to voice our opinions, our wants, and our desires for this game. If some would like new Races, we should state unequivocally that we want them, not debate how much it cost Trion to produce it.

I just find this type of discussion odd.

I for one would welcome a new Race and hope that at some point it will be possible and I look forward to purchasing one.
    I find this incredibly odd as well. I didn't realize Trion was such a delicate little flower that needed defending against their customers asking for new things to give them money for.

If a developer would like to step in and give their customers and update on the feasibility of new models, that would be great. I can't see why they can't test the waters by polling if people would be willing to pay for a new model, and how much. But the knee-jerk response of "Trion can't possibly make money selling new characters" based purely on conjecture is baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Laputa View Post
    Really? Whoever has that job isn't doing it very well. ;_;

Clipping is also a daily occurrence. I'd much rather they fix the current races and graphical glitches before adding another clone.
    And those images are a perfect example of what I was saying earlier; equipment is fit to a standard mesh. It doesn't work 100% in every case, because it's not feasible to "handcraft" every single piece of equipment. It will clip at times, and on close inspection there will always be flaws. They get them to work about 95% of the time and move on because most people don't notice.

If the defenders are correct, Laputa, they can't fix things. There's just no money in doing so.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tulia View Post

No one outside of trion knows if this is unrealistic. Also, you mention community, but you are referring to a few dozen people in this thread that oppose it but those people don't speak for the entire player base.

Unless trion can chime in, none of are qualified to speak to this. Hopefully they see thread and comment on it.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1780 View Post
    No one outside of trion knows if this is unrealistic. Also, you mention community, but you are referring to a few dozen people in this thread that oppose it but those people don't speak for the entire player base.

Unless trion can chime in, none of are qualified to speak to this. Hopefully they see thread and comment on it.
    Your answer is already on the forums just in a dead thread

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...w-races-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor
    We also want to add new races to the game, but as been pointed out, it is a very expensive addition to the game. We need to find the right time where we can add it into the game. I'm not promising when or what, just that it's something that is actively on our minds.

At least one race mentioned here has had some concept art done as a player race. But we probably won't do that. Probably.
    Also in another thread Jonus gives a quote from Daglar in a live stream
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...h-faction.html

In regards to new races: They’d love to do it, but it’d be “absolutely monstrous amount of work” and they’d have to have all things align – enough people willing to pay, enough resources on hand/interest from the community/etc.
    Last edited by Tollwutig; 09-17-2014 at 09:49 AM.

In regards to new races: They’d love to do it, but it’d be “absolutely monstrous amount of work” and they’d have to have all things align – enough people willing to pay, enough resources on hand/interest from the community/etc.
    I don't see a no in there. Maybe reluctance, but not a no.

Champion of Telara

I don't see a no in there. Maybe reluctance, but not a no.
    which is essentially what everyone has been saying that is expensive and a lot of work.
    Last edited by Tollwutig; 09-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast