+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree89Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Games been down for over 4 hours, what is going on now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    Okay. But how is shutting down the servers for an hour worse than their being unavailable for hours on end?
    Only insomuch as it implies defeat. Plus, taking them down at the first sight of an attack means they cannot gather data about who/what/where is attacking them. Then what about testing the solutions they've come with from the data gathered last time? Also, who is to say if they take them down early that they won't be targeted again later and maybe harder. Sure it seems like an easy, feasible thing to do, but it's really not.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Dylbert View Post
    Call me naive or.... well... whatever, but if the services for which *I* am responsible went down, I'm not kicking it with a beer and watching college football. I'm communicating with my customers.

I'ma guess none of the folks whose responsibilities include communicating on this forum have a clause in their employment contract that says weekends are inviolate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefycake View Post
    There is absolutely no reason why they Trion can't update their players via the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    This was the case for me, I was unable to log into the forums until now. Please everyone be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post
    I'm disappointed I can't raid this weekend. When I want to play I can't, and when I finally can... I crash or have a variety of other problems.

I understand nobody is holding a gun to my head to play or pay for this game...but I sincerely would appreciate some form of consistency and reliability with the servers implemented before 3.0 is released.

I'm sure it will make or break a lot of people's decisions to proceed with playing Rift or moving on to other games.

ps
    compensation is and will always be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    Thanks for ruining my Saturday Trion...Because of you I spent most of the day blankly staring at the walls in my room. I tried to pass the time by surfing the web but I couldn't focus on anything. All I wanted to do was rift . Apparently that was just too much to ask because every 10 mins or so when I went to see if the servers were back up all I got was nothing but disappointment! I attempted to cook some food in the meantime while I waited. Something other than the usual top ramen and hot-pockets. I should have known that was a bad idea. Made my lunch and as I was coming back up the stairs my plate of food dropped and landed all over the floor. I just stood there like a ***** and cried..They say when things are bad they are really bad. I guess its true. Thanks for nothing trion. Thanks for ruining my life and my lunch. Thanks for nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogardgib View Post
    Yet I have not had any issue getting on the forums all day.

Yes, they did announce it on the forums almost Five hours after the biggest amount of servers went offline.

Actually I can and do expect timely and effective communication form all the companies I do business with. As a matter of fact a lot of companies have no issues with good communication even during tough times such as ddos attacks.

Also there are sites you can go to and watch ddos attacks live so its not like its a secret when or who gets ddosed.

What more do I want? I want the information delivered in a timely and effective manner. Not many hours after while I might have been wondering what the $%$% is going on. Not searching twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc to figure out which one they decided to use to announce today.

Now you are just being silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lydielle View Post
    I'm sorry but you have to be joking. Either that or you have your nose so far up their butts you can't tell what's reasonable.
    Ok, then stopped reading this collection of horrible nonsense. The most complainers here act like little children crying about not getting the green iceball but the blue and wanting immediately getting the green instead.

No one at Trion will sit there and look, drinking beer and praising god for a good sunday. The most of you live in countries, where all have weekends. Some people have to work on weekends too, although there is a weekend stop by law. It is stupid to complain about not beeing informed at the right place... which one for whom? Millions are on Facebook and Twitter, how many are in this forum? How many people read this forum? When asking in game, the most never saw this forum... but are at fb and twitter.

Come on, guys and girls... try to get a look behind the areas of your nosetips! May be worth it.
    Last edited by Mausea; 09-14-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    Melandra @ Entity @ Zaviel
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    - Lady Windermere's Fan [Oscar Wilde] -

Its worth noting that I am still watching Norse for activity on the net. Currently, The central Attacks are going to San Francisco and St Louis.

However, there are pings every 15 seconds or so to Seattle, which shows that they are testing trions servers possibly for yet another wave later on.

Also, theres a major bot INSIDE seattle that wont show on the world map if its attacking somewhere just across the city. However, it showed itself when attacking San Francisco this morning.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

Normally I ignore these kind of threads as, I have lots of other things to do and did not even know it was down. However, with the new AH pricing a 5 hour downtime now impacts me greatly. I still list a lot of items and sell a lot. I use the 1 day listing as most of the items are higher priced and listing it twice with the one day is cheaper than listing it once for 48 ( they are close but not the same). That 5 hour downtime is almost half of my listing time, with the average auction costing me 4 plat to list, this cost me plat which I think should be refunded as I really did not get my 1 day list. Before the changes it was no big deal as a few gold was not worth complaining about, but now that you are talking about a lot of plat, I think that auctions listed during this kind of downtime should get refunds of half the listing amount.

While I understand the downtime was outside of their control, it was downtime that no one could buy my auctions.

Normally I do not even complain about the fee, but this just upsets me a little as I have lost a lot of plat on items that normally would have sold in the day time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarundi View Post
    Normally I ignore these kind of threads as, I have lots of other things to do and did not even know it was down. However, with the new AH pricing a 5 hour downtime now impacts me greatly. I still list a lot of items and sell a lot. I use the 1 day listing as most of the items are higher priced and listing it twice with the one day is cheaper than listing it once for 48 ( they are close but not the same). That 5 hour downtime is almost half of my listing time, with the average auction costing me 4 plat to list, this cost me plat which I think should be refunded as I really did not get my 1 day list. Before the changes it was no big deal as a few gold was not worth complaining about, but now that you are talking about a lot of plat, I think that auctions listed during this kind of downtime should get refunds of half the listing amount.

While I understand the downtime was outside of their control, it was downtime that no one could buy my auctions.

Normally I do not even complain about the fee, but this just upsets me a little as I have lost a lot of plat on items that normally would have sold in the day time frame.
    If Trion can't keep their servers up with any reliability, no matter where the fault lies, I think they need to reconsider the current AH fee structure. I think that anyway, but this is one more reason to add to the pile.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    The reason why they used twitter over the forum is because the forums are also the target of DDoS attacks.

And look at that... they did use the forums to tell the playerbase!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post4897094

You can't expect a company to post updates on what's going on because they damn well know that it's the only thing the DDoSer want. It would be like feeding a troll. I'm surprised they even told us it was a DDoS attack...

Seriously, what more info do you want? They said the servers are down, they even told us it was from DDoS and they said they are working on getting it back up. Now they even tell us that they are restarting servers and should take at least 30 minutes.

You want them to post pictures of their servers and techs working maybe?
    Wow lol. Uhmm people just wanted communication from a company to their customers in what the far majority would think is reasonable, say within 30-60 minutes tops. Not several hours later. Don't want to say the cause, okay fine don't say the cause. The most important information was letting us know a time frame of their best estimate and even if that was unknown half an hour after servers were down at least respond to us a general "we're sorry, we're working on it right now and will let you know more as soon as we can". No communication soon after servers are down is a poor choice in customer service.

Next line of communication, here's another chance to make better customer service choices. Acknowledgement that yesterday's downtime did suck for us regardless of cause so will it be Transcendent Trove of Boosts again or something else? Good customer service choices go a long way for most people Trion, don't underestimate it.

Ascendant

This is how you avoid being DDoS'ed.

Shut down the servers.

You bring them back up?

You get DDoS'ed. Again.

So you shut them back down.

This is not a "once a day hour down time"

DDoS of a high enough magnitude would involve having the servers down for 50% of the time if not more. There is only ONE defense against DDoS. The attacker stopping.

Here's the thing. Even if Trion itself would be immune to being DDoS'ed, do you know what isin't? The internet.

Here's how the internet works. You connect to a bunch of gateways one after the other, that connects you your ISP, that connects you to more gateways, that connects you to Trion. The DDoS can just attack those gateways instead.

Stop blaming the victim.

Trion invited you to a party. And you guys are complaining that Trion is not spending time with you, when Trion got dragged into a back alley and is getting the **** kicked out of it.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausea View Post
    Ok, then stopped reading this collection of horrible nonsense. The most complainers here act like little children crying about not getting the green iceball but the blue and wanting immediately getting the green instead.

No one at Trion will sit there and look, drinking beer and praising god for a good sunday. The most of you live in countries, where all have weekends. Some people have to work on weekends too, although there is a weekend stop by law. It is stupid to complain about not beeing informed at the right place... which one for whom? Millions are on Facebook and Twitter, how many are in this forum? How many people read this forum? When asking in game, the most never saw this forum... but are at fb and twitter.

Come on, guys and girls... try to get a look behind the areas of your nosetips! May be worth it.
    I checked out their facebook page (don't normally use facebook, so first time on their page for me). With the exception of the message we're talking about, and a few puff items about corporate activities, you know what I saw? That's right, links to the respective *websites* for their games. I get the newsletters for Rift. Every single one of them has included a teaser and a *link to their website*. Shoot, even Gingers, the only Trion employee who bothered to login and try to answer questions said (emphasis is mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    Just to be clear, I'm not a CM, I'm the UI Artist. Like most here I wanted to spend my Saturday playing RIFT but was unable to so I came to the forums. As soon as I was able to post, I relayed what I saw already posted by CM Morgana. The General Discussion forum isn't usually the first place to get information in situations like this, the best place to check is the News & Announcements forum or even the Dev Tracker.

Why the heck would I *not* expect to see at least one post from someone in the CM team on their *primary* communication medium - the official website. We know that at least Morgana was able to post to the forum, so why couldn't Morgana have at least come on and said the same thing that was posted on Facebook?

You know what makes it worse? It's now Sunday evening, and we *still* haven't seen an official post from Trion. I guess we'll have to wait until regular business hours...
    Last edited by Dylbert; 09-14-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

Dylbert, you don't get it. There will be no more said about this matter by trion. Morgana and a backroom member of the weekend holdover staff did all the communication they felt was needed. Gingers, as the UI artist was able briefly to log into the forums from I presume, home, and try a bit of CS herself.

Anyway, shutting down the servers for that brief 30 minutes was enough to make the DDos bots disconnect. This is going to happen again. And again. And Again. There is absolutely nothing Trion can do about it for the large part, they dont have the bandwidth to mitigate the gigabyte level attacks that were being levelled at them.

Also, Trion are not the only company suffering with this.

Many other MMO's are being targeted by a bunch of skiddies who think MMOs suck and should all be closed down because, well, its funny. Some of those MMO's DO have the bandwidth to mitigate larger attacks, but even then, theres a limit.

EDIT: Oh ****. Here we go again. Norse showing major botnet attack on Seattle. Prepare for a long day people.
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 09-15-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Dylbert, you don't get it.
    Scott Adams does a hugely amusing cartoon about a clueless tech-head called Dilbert: http://www.dilbert.com/

I can't but help think this isn't a coincidence.

Rift Disciple

Anyway, shutting down the servers for that brief 30 minutes was enough to make the DDos bots disconnect. This is going to happen again. And again. And Again. There is absolutely nothing Trion can do about it for the large part, they dont have the bandwidth to mitigate the gigabyte level attacks that were being levelled at them.
    Can't wait to hear from all the people who paid $150 for the new expansion and they find out they can't play it.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Khallan View Post
    Can't wait to hear from all the people who paid $150 for the new expansion and they find out they can't play it.
    It'll be the same with the people who paid $0 for the expansion since the content itself is free and the $150 is just extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylbert View Post
    I checked out their facebook page (don't normally use facebook, so first time on their page for me). With the exception of the message we're talking about, and a few puff items about corporate activities, you know what I saw? That's right, links to the respective *websites* for their games. I get the newsletters for Rift. Every single one of them has included a teaser and a *link to their website*. Shoot, even Gingers, the only Trion employee who bothered to login and try to answer questions said (emphasis is mine):

Why the heck would I *not* expect to see at least one post from someone in the CM team on their *primary* communication medium - the official website. We know that at least Morgana was able to post to the forum, so why couldn't Morgana have at least come on and said the same thing that was posted on Facebook?

You know what makes it worse? It's now Sunday evening, and we *still* haven't seen an official post from Trion. I guess we'll have to wait until regular business hours...
    First answers would be see under dev tracker and news/announcements as well as ghe FB and twitter feeds.

Why might there not be oodles of posts on General discussions? Someone answering every demand? Because more often than not the purple name CM team is answering from home on the weekends. If you can't get through to the log in server due to a DDoS attack then more than likely neither can they. I have a requirement with my job when the crap hits the fan I drop everything...wedding? Get to work. Doctor's appointment? Get to work? Wife in ER? Get to work. Something tells me Video game CMs don't have the same requirement.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Dylbert, you don't get it. There will be no more said about this matter by trion. Morgana and a backroom member of the weekend holdover staff did all the communication they felt was needed. Gingers, as the UI artist was able briefly to log into the forums from I presume, home, and try a bit of CS herself.

Also, Trion are not the only company suffering with this.

Many other MMO's are being targeted by a bunch of skiddies who think MMOs suck and should all be closed down because, well, its funny. Some of those MMO's DO have the bandwidth to mitigate larger attacks, but even then, theres a limit.

EDIT: Oh ****. Here we go again. Norse showing major botnet attack on Seattle. Prepare for a long day people.
    No, I *get* it. We're getting the mushroom treatment from Trion. I *object* to it, and I have yet to hear a cogent argument as to why I, as a paying customer, should *have* to accept this. There is no good reason I have seen put forth why someone at Trion couldn't have taken a couple of minutes to post something on the forum - and "can't log in from my living room" does not qualify. Get your lazy *** up, go into the office, and post from the internal network.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Scott Adams does a hugely amusing cartoon about a clueless tech-head called Dilbert: http://www.dilbert.com/

I can't but help think this isn't a coincidence.
    No coincidence. I *love* that comic strip. I just can't figure out in this case whether it's Trion or the folks defending them who are the PHB...

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    First answers would be see under dev tracker and news/announcements as well as ghe FB and twitter feeds.
    See, now that's the thing. I *did* look under Announcements and Dev Tracker. There was nothing between Pithos posting in some 3.0 thread and Morgana announcing the servers were coming down. Then Gingers posted a link to Morgana's announcement, and finally Gingers post noting that Announcements and Dev Tracker are the best place to look for news about the outage. See the problem?

Why might there not be oodles of posts on General discussions? Someone answering every demand? Because more often than not the purple name CM team is answering from home on the weekends.
    Yep, kicking it at home and trying to log in every 15 minutes or so is not the appropriate response when the service for which your customers pay is down.

If you can't get through to the log in server due to a DDoS attack then more than likely neither can they. I have a requirement with my job when the crap hits the fan I drop everything...wedding? Get to work. Doctor's appointment? Get to work? Wife in ER? Get to work. Something tells me Video game CMs don't have the same requirement.
    But it should be, and that's the crux of the problem. It should be somebody's responsibility to get timely information to customers.
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8