+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 119
Like Tree89Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Games been down for over 4 hours, what is going on now?

  1. #91
    Ascendant Nuuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theirishman View Post
    being blamed on DDoS attacks is old -- this is more about server stability
    And you know this how?

  2. #92
    Plane Walker Alatarv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    You can bypass glyph, using various methods. There's no reason to stick with glyph if it's giving you trouble. I'm not using it, and logging in just fine without having to mess with a double-auth function that's not working.
    I had no idea. Can you share the techniques for bypassing Glyph and the authentication email? Because I'd love to leave them behind.

  3. #93
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    And you know this how?
    Sorry, but this is getting old. Fine we get it... it's a DOS attack and all the players suffer but many of us are getting tired of hearing this is the sole blame. Trion is NOT the only company that gets DOS. And I'm willing to bet there are plenty of much higher profile companies getting DOS much more frequently then Trion is. And you know what? They handle/fix/build around it so it no longer impacts them. This does not seem to be case with Trion. When things happen to you (even the bad things) you learn and correct it.

    Think this way. Trion systems gets compromised and customer information is stolen. You don't wait the few days and say, oh everything is good again so it's business as usual. No you apologize, fix and correct the problem so it doesn't happen again. And if this happens again you repeat (and hope you don't lose all your remaining customers). Now of course this is much more serious. So why does Trion getting DOS multiple times and we the players still see 'oh it looks like it stopped now so it back to business as usual' from them? So why is this fundemental process different?

    Sorry but after multiple successful DOS attacks (so while yes it may be hackers doing), you cannot honestly say Trion has zero part in sharing the blame at this point.

  4. #94
    Ascendant Sedvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    snip
    You obviously have no idea how DDoSing works I see. Other MMOs that have been getting attacked have continued to get attacked, just not on as large a scale as previously.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 09-13-2014 at 10:23 PM.

  5. #95
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,131

    Default

    You know?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDZ...5WGm29I7JiwpnA

    That says what I want to say about Denial of Service attacks better then I ever could.
    Last edited by Repster; 09-13-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

  6. #96
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    You obviously have no idea how DDoSing works I see. Other MMOs that have been getting attacked have continued to get attacked, just not on as large a scale as previously.
    Which all points to poor planing on Trion's part. Many companies gets attacked, some constantly. And you know what? The good ones mitigate and find solutions, while others do nothing but post blame... it's the hackers, it's the ISP... it's so and so...

    Sorry, but the past month has shown nothing but incompetence from Trion's guys. First it was their developers (oh our AH servers cannot handle the load so lets blame the players), then opps.. we lost all our connectivity to Comcast customers, so lets blame Comcast for the peering problem since when we designed our systems we never considered that before. Whatever... it shows the trend that any problems any where in Trion's kingdom, it's nothing but a blame game and they would rather point fingers at everyone else.

    Because nobody in the entire MMO history has ever had to deal with a DOS attack before.

    Don't worry, I expect the white knights to come to their defense.

  7. #97
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    Which all points to poor planing on Trion's part. Many companies gets attacked, some constantly. And you know what? The good ones mitigate and find solutions, while others do nothing but post blame... it's the hackers, it's the ISP... it's so and so...

    Sorry, but the past month has shown nothing but incompetence from Trion's guys. First it was their developers (oh our AH servers cannot handle the load so lets blame the players), then opps.. we lost all our connectivity to Comcast customers, so lets blame Comcast for the peering problem since when we designed our systems we never considered that before. Whatever... it shows the trend that any problems any where in Trion's kingdom, it's nothing but a blame game and they would rather point fingers at everyone else.

    Because nobody in the entire MMO history has ever had to deal with a DOS attack before.

    Don't worry, I expect the white knights to come to their defense.
    It does really seem that you are a bit clueless. This isn't just a website being Dossed. It is something that requires good latency to work for all. It is not the only MMO to be hit hard at this moment but in your small world it is all TRION's fault and not the criminal hackers.

  8. #98
    Rift Disciple Brokenfate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    Which all points to poor planing on Trion's part. Many companies gets attacked, some constantly. And you know what? The good ones mitigate and find solutions, while others do nothing but post blame... it's the hackers, it's the ISP... it's so and so...

    Sorry, but the past month has shown nothing but incompetence from Trion's guys. First it was their developers (oh our AH servers cannot handle the load so lets blame the players), then opps.. we lost all our connectivity to Comcast customers, so lets blame Comcast for the peering problem since when we designed our systems we never considered that before. Whatever... it shows the trend that any problems any where in Trion's kingdom, it's nothing but a blame game and they would rather point fingers at everyone else.

    Because nobody in the entire MMO history has ever had to deal with a DOS attack before.

    Don't worry, I expect the white knights to come to their defense.
    I love how you say that trion just points fingers, and here you are pointing fingers at them and not the people who are actually causing the trouble with the ddos.

  9. #99
    Ascendant Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,371

    Default

    I'm curious as to why everyone was staring at a PC screen for hours on a Saturday night when that's party clubbing and pubing night out

  10. #100
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    81

    Default

    A "funny" thing is that during DoS attack, players want to play and try and try again and again to play. So they amplify the DoS adding their request to go IG to the DoS attack.

    With Trion servers off, all request from players are stopped and the DoS attack has no more target so it stop naturally.

    Trion did nothing ? They stopped the DoS attack and 30mn after every body can play.

  11. #101
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werebadger View Post
    With Trion servers off, all request from players are stopped and the DoS attack has no more target so it stop naturally.

    Trion did nothing ? They stopped the DoS attack and 30mn after every body can play.
    Wow, well, if only they'd done that 5 hours earlier then. Why wait all day to do this?
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

  12. #102
    Plane Walker Bonzodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    Wow, well, if only they'd done that 5 hours earlier then. Why wait all day to do this?
    Because shutting the servers down is a method of last resort. It means the DDOs'ers won. Imagine if trion did this everyday for an hour or two.

    Mid-raid: "Hi people, we have to shut the servers down now for an hour or two because we have an ongoing DOS attack that we just cannot mitigate. Sorry"

    BAM.

    Logged out, unable to get back in for a further 2 hours. Imagine that happens *every day*. How many people would still play this game? Not many, I can guarantee you.

    These DOS attacks have been ongoing for around 3-4 weeks on a near daily basis. The only way to get the LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon. Look it up.) to shut itself off is if the target goes dark and falls off the net. Also not all of these will be LOIC attacks.

    Some of the machines are botted home computers that have fallen under the control of a remote C&C, so the ping traffic they can output is relatively low. Again, all bots have an auto shut-off built in to stop attacking if the target goes dark.

    Incidentally, anyone with rudimentary networking IT knowledge could tell you all of the above.

    However, last night, something strange happened. It seems the US Mil got wind of the incident and started attacking back. Now, whilst the charts showed 300+ attacks ongoing to Trion and various others (someone in St Louis, Missouri also got hit hard last night), the US mil have far more bandwidth available and sent out a retaliatory attack going east, temporarily shutting down a major backbone of the net.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

  13. #103
    Ascendant Ailene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far far north (Norway)
    Posts
    2,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    Which all points to poor planing on Trion's part. Many companies gets attacked, some constantly. And you know what? The good ones mitigate and find solutions, while others do nothing but post blame... it's the hackers, it's the ISP... it's so and so...

    Sorry, but the past month has shown nothing but incompetence from Trion's guys. First it was their developers (oh our AH servers cannot handle the load so lets blame the players), then opps.. we lost all our connectivity to Comcast customers, so lets blame Comcast for the peering problem since when we designed our systems we never considered that before. Whatever... it shows the trend that any problems any where in Trion's kingdom, it's nothing but a blame game and they would rather point fingers at everyone else.

    Because nobody in the entire MMO history has ever had to deal with a DOS attack before.

    Don't worry, I expect the white knights to come to their defense.
    Climb out from your cave and check some other game forums. They're all filled with the same rant about how easy it is to avoid DDOS and that the company suck and should not be affected by these attacks. Trion isn't the only one affected, Rift isn't the only game that shut down due to it. The companies are facing a problem that is somewhat out of their reach to fix, having people like you ranting at them doesn't help and is probably just making the situation more frustrating.

    DDOS attacks, viruses, hacks.... they're all always a step ahead of the people trying to prevent it from happening. Fix one thing and they find another way to break it.

  14. #104
    Rift Chaser Eorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Exactly, Slip, exactly.

    Or for those that don't go out, movies/book night.
    Mirandiral@Greybriar
    Archon by trade. Live archon, learn archon, love archon!
    RoF 4/4, MS 5/5, TF 2/3


  15. #105
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Because shutting the servers down is a method of last resort. It means the DDOs'ers won. Imagine if trion did this everyday for an hour or two.

    Mid-raid: "Hi people, we have to shut the servers down now for an hour or two because we have an ongoing DOS attack that we just cannot mitigate. Sorry"

    BAM.

    Logged out, unable to get back in for a further 2 hours. Imagine that happens *every day*. How many people would still play this game? Not many, I can guarantee you.
    Okay. But how is shutting down the servers for an hour worse than their being unavailable for hours on end?
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts