+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The zone events [Unstable Server] has started..

  1. #16
    Rift Chaser wylwrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    maybe some of the servers are down due to stress, thats why total player capacity has decreased?

    if you dont know how computers work, you had BETTER NOT comment on technical issues. do you offer advice to the neurosurgeon when he is operating on someone's brain?

    you computer illiterates should start giving proper respect to people who enable you to enjoy a game like RIFT, instead of whining all the time.

    would you whine to your car mechanic or an engineer?
    You win a prize!

    Please collect your free Jumping to Conclusions Mat on your way out!

  2. #17
    Rift Master Shedelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Alright, here's what I know so far:

    I got back home at about 1:00 from an athletic contest. I have to make 5 attempts in order to get into Glyph. I post in a couple forums, then try to get into Rift...I go online, I find no shards are available.

    I check my Internet connection, its fine. i decide then to check server status...and no shards are available on either EU or NA.

    Whichever idiot started this could be likely going to jail pretty soon. With the amount of attacks, its only a matter of time before the DDoS attacker gets caught.

    Edit: I checked to make sure it wasn't the new MMO my dad got, and it's not. Somebody needs to own up, because hes going to get caught, regardless of how hard he may try.
    Last edited by Shedelin; 09-13-2014 at 11:15 AM.

  3. #18
    Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maguire View Post
    idk about technical stuff but..

    Is this the result of DDoS too and not the server?

    http://imgur.com/Mv3rNgX
    I'm not sure how the population to queueing system functions for Rift.

    However, if i were to take a guess, queue is based off of global server load, and population is dynamically set based per global population and load added together. The higher the server load, the lesser resources that there may be available for the servers to use, in turn causing the population to become high or full and a queue to soon follow. That is my best guess, I am unsure if that is correct or not.

    Now, if the servers are basing load/population status out of connected sessions to a server... including fake or ghosted sessions... oh lord have mercy.
    --BC

  4. #19
    Telaran Maguire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    maybe some of the servers are down due to stress, thats why total player capacity has decreased?

    if you dont know how computers work, you had BETTER NOT comment on technical issues. do you offer advice to the neurosurgeon when he is operating on someone's brain?

    you computer illiterates should start giving proper respect to people who enable you to enjoy a game like RIFT, instead of whining all the time.

    would you whine to your car mechanic or an engineer?
    Good job being an ******* Mr. Server Engineer. Im just asking.

    Most peeps are literate on puters just not on server technicality issues.

    You don't ask your mech when they wanna change something on your car or enquire your doctor about the procedure to be done to you.

    Yup. you are the expert.
    We live in a cynical world.

  5. #20
    Telaran Maguire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    I'm not sure how the population to queueing system functions for Rift.

    However, if i were to take a guess, queue is based off of global server load, and population is dynamically set based per global population and load added together. The higher the server load, the lesser resources that there may be available for the servers to use, in turn causing the population to become high or full and a queue to soon follow. That is my best guess, I am unsure if that is correct or not.

    Now, if the servers are basing load/population status out of connected sessions to a server... including fake or ghosted sessions... oh lord have mercy.
    Thank you for explaining.
    We live in a cynical world.

  6. #21
    Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shedelin View Post
    Whichever idiot started this could be likely going to jail pretty soon. With the amount of attacks, its only a matter of time before the DDoS attacker gets caught.
    nobody is gonna get caught, unless they fess up themselves. its impossible to find the actual person who pressed the button.

  7. #22
    Plane Walker Bonzodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    nobody is gonna get caught, unless they fess up themselves. its impossible to find the actual person who pressed the button.
    In addition to this, its highly likely that the attacks source from either russia or china. I have yet to hear of Cyber-criminals being actually prosecuted inside either of those two countries.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

  8. #23
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Well, it looks like they only have so many engineers available and they are all working on ArcheAge now.

    I was watching twitch and many of their streams went down. But the thing is, AA is back up but Rift is still down (at least for me). Seems like they are pushing to make AA launch look good so is Rift even being looked at?

    Guess it shows where Rift priority stands.

  9. #24
    Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    I REALLY wanna know what non-IT people think how computers work. Like, REALLY. Even if it means being temporarily, er, "slow" for a while. Maybe it'll give me some insight on how to communicate with such people?

  10. #25
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    I REALLY wanna know what non-IT people think how computers work. Like, REALLY. Even if it means being temporarily, er, "slow" for a while. Maybe it'll give me some insight on how to communicate with such people?
    You can't get that conversation via your Mom, Grandpa, Aunt, any one? Every person you speak with has IT level computer knowledge?

  11. #26
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Generic Player View Post
    You can't get that conversation via your Mom, Grandpa, Aunt, any one? Every person you speak with has IT level computer knowledge?
    Judging from doom's use of english, or failure there of, unlikely he knows any actual IT people. That is unless his definition of such is Internet Tool.

    Yes, they can possibly catch the perpetrators of this DDoS issue. However, knowing who it is, and being able to prosecute them are two separate issues.
    Last edited by Emrin; 09-13-2014 at 02:43 PM.

  12. #27
    Plane Walker Dylbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    I REALLY wanna know what non-IT people think how computers work. Like, REALLY. Even if it means being temporarily, er, "slow" for a while. Maybe it'll give me some insight on how to communicate with such people?
    Well, as a degreed EE, I assure you that all electronics function via the use of Magic Smoke contained within the devices. If that smoke escapes, the device stops functioning.

    Looks like Trion let the smoke out of the server...
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

  13. #28
    Plane Walker Dylbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    Unfortunately, this is an actual DDOS attack. This isn't some mumbo jumbo, hat trick, or some sort of black-smoke to cloud your view. Normally companies of all sorts try to keep mum regarding DDOS attacks. As going public about such, it just feeds the person doing it, just to keep the DDOS going. Some DDOS attacks for purely for extortion, "We'll stop the DDOS if you pay us XYZ money by ABC date/time".

    If you want to watch the on going DDOS attack hitting Trion right now... please, do be my guest and install a linux distro of your choice (ubuntu being my preference), install mtr on it (apt-get install mtr), and in the console simply type in 'mtr forums.riftgame.com' without the single quotes. You will see that whoever these skiddys are, are hitting the edge-router before Trion's servers. This isn't maintenance, this isn't general capacity issues. It is quite honestly, a DDOS. The actual Rift and AA servers are perfectly fine, the router/gateway/firewall (be my guest on what you would like to call it these days) before said servers is being attacked.

    As for proof, here it is. This is a mtr from my local ubuntu server here at the house and one from my server I have in Dallas, TX. If it was a hardware issue, you wouldn't be seeing such erratic behaviour. If it was a configuration issue, people would be getting hit and miss issues.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6067oly92...34.18.png?dl=0 - from home to forums.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1spkaul378...34.30.png?dl=0 - from server to forums.

    See that second to last route? Yeah, whoever it is - is attacking that.
    Gotta be honest here, those traceroutes don't look substantially different today than they have for the past month or so. At some point, maybe it's time to kick the sewer-dwelling providers to the curb and go with providers that take their networks a bit more seriously.

    There are ways to deal with DDoS, but they all involve working closely with your upstreams (and their upstreams if applicable).
    What I've Learned:
    1. Never ask a woman when the baby is due.
    2. Never, never tell a woman she looks good for her age.
    3. And most importantly, never, never, NEVER answer the question "Honey do these jeans make my butt look big?" with " It's not the jeans..."

  14. #29
    Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emrin View Post
    Judging from doom's use of english, or failure there of, unlikely he knows any actual IT people. That is unless his definition of such is Internet Tool.

    Yes, they can possibly catch the perpetrators of this DDoS issue. However, knowing who it is, and being able to prosecute them are two separate issues.
    people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones at others.
    if a grade school teacher were to mark you for your english, you'd flunk instantly.

    its really funny, someone with horrible english who makes fun of other's. learn to write english, bro. you just shot yourself in the foot there.
    Last edited by TheDoomgiver; 09-13-2014 at 03:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts